A few changes, and it's a whole new ride.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mackeroni

Reaction score
As I am getting older, heavier and slower, I thought I might like a different bike.  Something for local riding under 200 miles.  Checked out the Triumph Bonneville T-100, the Kawasaki W800, and a couple different dual-sport bikes.  Nothing felt just right.  Every time I left a dealership and climbed back on my FJR, it felt as comfortable as an old pair of slippers.  So, I decided to make the bike I already own into more of a local rider.

First, I lost the top case.  I removed all the mounting hardware too... clear back to the stock bareback.  Next, I removed the Clearwater Krista's, Gaurald's excellent under mirror brackets and tucked away all the wiring.  (I kept the Glenda's mounted on the front forks.)  Finally, I installed Delkevic 13" trioval slip-ons for an improved street sound. 

Suddenly, I have a whole new ride.  It's a little lighter, losing about 35lbs including the stuff I routinely carried in the top case.  It's a little sleeker, losing the top case and the Clearwater lights.  (I had no idea how much turbulence those lights were creating on either side of the stock wind screen until I took them off.  Shocking!)  And, it sounds a lot sportier with that deep throaty growl from the Delkevic's.  The stock exhaust cans are whisper quiet and great for touring, but not too exciting around town.  

I couldn't be happier.  My FJR has become a bike for all seasons.  

Peace...  Mack