A Few Questions on GPS Units

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jon T

Reaction score
I've read several posts about saying how the Zumo is the way to go. The price is hard to swallow. I'm thinking I could one of the Garmins for the car, and as long as I keep it out of the rain, I'd be OK. Am I wrong? A couple of year ago I bought a TomTom One for the car. It has been fine, but probably would not buy another. I haven't tried it on the bike because I'm working on just how I'll mount it, maybe just in my pocket with a speaker in my ear.

Based on my reading here, with Garmin units it looks like you can plot a specific route then load it to the machine. As far as I know, I can't do that with my TomTom. That would be a great feature. I looked at an online manual for a "Nuvi" unit on sale this weekend, but could not figure out what that is all about.

I'd welcome any suggestions.

QUOTE (Jon T @ Feb 28 2009, 07:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Based on my reading here, with Garmin units it looks like you can plot a specific route then load it to the machine. As far as I know, I can't do that with my TomTom. That would be a great feature.

I have a Tomtom Rider. Don't know how similar its software is to your "One", but you can do "Itinerary Planning", which if you want you can do with Tomtom attached to your PC and use the PC's screen and keyboard to ease entry (although I have no trouble doing it on the Tomtom directly, whilst the wife watches some soap on the TV, and I have time to plan a trip.

You then have the advantage of Bluetooth sound, and you can be a foul weather as well as a fair weather rider.

My mount and thoughts on Tomtom here (first part shows fitting to my Trophy, second to my FJR).

Its software is much improved since my write-up, For me about the only thing it lacks is a "breadcrumb" feature.

(Click on image for larger view)

Last edited by a moderator:
I put a MoTech mount on my fjr which handles my garmin nuvi 205 with a 4.3" screen. The unit works great for getting you out and about. It's not waterproof, BUT for the difference between it and a bike specific unit I can buy several replacement units if they're ever needed. Besides, the darn things are obsolete every couple years anyway :yahoo:

I recently purchased a Garmin Nuvi 500. I paid under $300 for it. It is a cross over type unit that you can use on your boat, your ATV, motorcycle and car. It is waterproof so I am hopeful that if I hit a big rain storm, I can leave it in the cradle of the bike and keep going. I plan on purchasing the topographical maps so I can use it on my Quad when I hunt. It also has chart capability for boating. While I am sure there are lots of units that do more, this one seems to meet many of my interests. Rich

That Garmin Quest sound right up my alley. I am checking inot it. it allows for external speaker from what I read. Sounds like it might wire into t bluetooth audio system.

I've read several posts about saying how the Zumo is the way to go. The price is hard to swallow.
You get what you pay for.

I'm thinking I could one of the Garmins for the car, and as long as I keep it out of the rain, I'd be OK. Am I wrong?
Not completely but the units like the Zumo 550 are "hardened" for the stresses of being on a bike. They are also designed for being used on a bike.

Based on my reading here, with Garmin units it looks like you can plot a specific route then load it to the machine. As far as I know, I can't do that with my TomTom.
It depends on the TomTom but most of them can do that.

Do a search for Garmin 2610. These units are discontinued but can still be found, sometimes refurbished, for a little over $100. The refurbished units come with Garmin's 12 month warranty, just like a new unit would.

I will never buy a GPS that is not from Garmin. Their customer service is second to none. I have personal experience with Garmin honoring the warranty on a GPS that was just over a month pass the warranty time. I also know many people who have had the same experience.

The 2610 is a waterproof unit with a touch screen that comes preloaded with City Navigator. With the included MapSource disc that you can load on your computer, you can map out your routes on your PC or MAC and then hook up the GPS and download the info. The only downside to the 2610, for some, is that there is no internal battery. It does come with an AC power cord for use in the house when downloading routes from your PC. I have mine mounted using a RAM mount and the Garmin motorcycle mounting kit. I also have the bean bag dash mount in my Jeep.

I have over 20,000 miles of use from my 2610 - I use it in my truck, on my motorcycle, and even take it with me when I fly to unfamiliar places to use in rentals.

My next GPS will either be a Zumo 550, a GPSMAP 276C, or 478 - just for different features that I am looking at. My 2610 will take up permanent residence in my Jeep then.

Here is a link to a factory refurbished 2730 for $245 and includes the XM antenna. Uses the same m/c mount as my 2610, but also has the abilty to get XM.

Garmin 2730 with antenna

Here is one for $199 without the antenna.

Garmin 2730 without antenna

I use a Garmin 2820, which has all of the main features of the Zumo 550 - Bluetooth, MP3 player, all maps stored internally, compatible with the Garmin XM receiver.

The MP3 player uses a part of the internal memory; there is no provision for plugging in an external memory card, and the buttons are on the right side, not the left. Oh, yeah - it has no internal battery pack. I've seen them new for ~$400.

I recently bought a refurbed Nuvi 5000 - I really like the large screen. For mounting I went with this and this. Even though the GPS is solid state I cut an old rubber mousepad and put it between the diamond plate and the mount to reduce vibration. So far so good. Another reason for going with the Garmin for me was their full support of software for Macs - I can use their RoadTrip program to create a route and upload it to the GPS from my Mac. In fact, with all the Mac software from Garmin (map updater, firmware updater, POI loader, etc.) I don't need a PC for anything to do with the Garmin.

As for rain, I'll pick up a clear vinyl/PVC bag with drawstrings and put it over the GPS if it shows signs of raining.

Of course you'll also need to think about where to mount the GPS on your bike. For me - and you'll find lots of different opinions - the best place was using the RAM mount I have on my clutch lever. Using the top RAM ball on my mount - this one - and a medium length arm allowed me to mount the GPS so it was just to the left of the tach. I can scan the speedometer, tachometer, and GPS with very little eye moment or time taken away from the road.

I bought a Magellan 1412 ($184 from Amazon) - around $50 cheaper than the Nuvi 260 at the time. I bought a Ram Aqua Box and mounts. Works great on my crusier. Don't have an FJR .........yet. Just a matter of weeks. I thought the Magellan was a bit heavier and just seemed to be a better case.

A correction on the 2610. It's not preloaded with detail maps, only major highways. For detail (street-level) maps you have to load regions from mapsource. Regions are state-sized, or 2 or 3 to a state, depending on the density of roads you're talking about. Florida has 4 regions, Mississippi has one. The Los Angeles area is a region of its own.

Got mine this time last year from Best buy for $179. Got a warranty replacement for screen delamination (bubbling).

Compared to newer units, it cannot speak street names, just the direction and distance to the next turn. No Bluetooth, no battery operation, no satellite radio, no traffic or weather service. Just a nice electronic road map that knows where you are. Fast routing right in the unit, or connection with the PC for even easier route point entry. Waterproof. A very good value for a refurb at the price. I'd rather have one of these than any of the WalMart GPS units.

A correction on the 2610. It's not preloaded with detail maps, only major highways. For detail (street-level) maps you have to load regions from mapsource. Regions are state-sized, or 2 or 3 to a state, depending on the density of roads you're talking about. Florida has 4 regions, Mississippi has one. The Los Angeles area is a region of its own.
Got mine this time last year from Best buy for $179. Got a warranty replacement for screen delamination (bubbling).

Compared to newer units, it cannot speak street names, just the direction and distance to the next turn. No Bluetooth, no battery operation, no satellite radio, no traffic or weather service. Just a nice electronic road map that knows where you are. Fast routing right in the unit, or connection with the PC for even easier route point entry. Waterproof. A very good value for a refurb at the price. I'd rather have one of these than any of the WalMart GPS units.
You're right - thanks for clearing that up.

MapSource is included with the purchase price though and is not an extra purchase like some of the other GPS units (276C for example).

As for rain, I'll pick up a clear vinyl/PVC bag with drawstrings and put it over the GPS if it shows signs of raining.
Bingo. There is no reason to buy a motorcycle specific GPS, they are way to expensive (2610 exception noted). My Nuvi has 16,000 miles on the bike with no problems. It was $200 a year and a half ago, now you can get one for $109 from radio shack: refurbed nuvi 350. That was the very first link I found, probably a little research will turn up a cheaper version. Mine had the same one year warranty as a new one, it speaks street names, and you can even get Australian Jill to talk to if you want. ;)

Add in $20 bucks worth for mounting and you have a GPS on your bike for less than $150 shipped. Mine has 16,000 miles on it, plenty of severe weather, works nicely in the car, no problems.

Do a search for Garmin 2610. These units are discontinued but can still be found, sometimes refurbished, for a little over $100. The refurbished units come with Garmin's 12 month warranty, just like a new unit would.
I will never buy a GPS that is not from Garmin. Their customer service is second to none. I have personal experience with Garmin honoring the warranty on a GPS that was just over a month pass the warranty time. I also know many people who have had the same experience.

The 2610 is a waterproof unit with a touch screen that comes preloaded with City Navigator. With the included MapSource disc that you can load on your computer, you can map out your routes on your PC or MAC and then hook up the GPS and download the info. The only downside to the 2610, for some, is that there is no internal battery. It does come with an AC power cord for use in the house when downloading routes from your PC. I have mine mounted using a RAM mount and the Garmin motorcycle mounting kit. I also have the bean bag dash mount in my Jeep.

I have over 20,000 miles of use from my 2610 - I use it in my truck, on my motorcycle, and even take it with me when I fly to unfamiliar places to use in rentals.

My next GPS will either be a Zumo 550, a GPSMAP 276C, or 478 - just for different features that I am looking at. My 2610 will take up permanent residence in my Jeep then.

Here is a link to a factory refurbished 2730 for $245 and includes the XM antenna. Uses the same m/c mount as my 2610, but also has the abilty to get XM.

Garmin 2730 with antenna

Here is one for $199 without the antenna.

Garmin 2730 without antenna
+1 with Garmin. There are few, if any, companies of any kind who treat their customers better. I was stunned when I punctured the screen on my 2610 and called Garmin for a repair. I was out of warranty by 2 months and the C/S rep said they'd overlook it and they repaired my 2610 free of charge. They are friendly, helpful, and incredibly courteous people. That was some time ago and it's nice to read that they still are operating the same way.

I've been using my "refurbished" Mod. 2610 for something like 4 years. The only thing I did for it was install a bigger flash memory chip and uploaded every map of North America on to the unit. I never have to hook up the unit ot the computer (I don't even think I know how!!)

I've used it in lots of rain (Hey! I'm in Oregon!), snow, freezing temps, +100 degree temps---the whole magilla! As they say, it "takes a licking and keeps on ticking." I've made two moto trips across the country and one up to Alaska without even a hint of a problem. Incredibly well made unit.

Don't mean to be such a Garmin shill, but they're really a great company, IMHO.

It's a little dated now, what with all the bells and whistles they keep adding to the newer units, but I have no reason to get rid of such a dependable GPS.

The only negative to the Garmin 2610 series is the lack of internal battery. They have to be mounted adn powered to the bike to be on. The Quest has its own battery, you can take it tinto a resteraurant or tent to program your next ride. I find having an internal battery is a huge benefit. But you cant go wrong wiith garmin either way.

Just throwing this out there... I've got a RAM cradle for a Nuvi W series (the wide screen models). I returned my 250W for a 2730 I got for the same price.

These things aren't worth a whole lot ($25 if I remember), so its a freebie in pay it forward mode.

Speaking of GPS, I am just wondering where everyone has their GPS mounted. I have a few ideas. But I am always open to suggestions.

Actually i will start another thread to keep from threadjacking this one. back on topic. Sorry