a front tire that'll go w/ my rear Avon

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luvtoride

My Indian name is "Pants On Fire"
Reaction score
Got a set of Storms & absolutely hate the front. The front tire wobble is considerable & I'll be swapping it out sooner than later. Also, for those that will suggest head bearing torque... just had it done about 3 months ago, so I'm confident it isn't that.

The thing is, I'm planning on keeping the rear tire. Does anyone have experience running a different tire up front other than a matching Avon?

Thanks in advance, Heidi

Well, for the first time I'm in a similar situation, but reversed. Avon Azarro up front (with about 40 grams balance weight) and new Pilot Road (that only needed 5 grams to balance) on back. Bike feels good, solid, and predictable to me with the few onramps I've leaned it over.

Well, for the first time I'm in a similar situation, but reversed. Avon Azarro up front (with about 40 grams balance weight) and new Pilot Road (that only needed 5 grams to balance) on back. Bike feels good, solid, and predictable to me with the few onramps I've leaned it over.
and I'll reverse yet again .......LOL
Heidi, I ran two Avon rears with a Michelin Pilot Road front and was very happy with the Pilot on the front. Good luck.

PS: Matt -since I quit taking hits off the Avon crack pipe -I can now balance my wheels with "grams" and not "kilograms"

i7pfrusty.gif

This will be the last time I say anything about this topic... (and the crowd roars!)

IT'S YOUR SUSPENSION SETTINGS, NOT THE TIRE! Jebus H. Crispies! You can't change tire brands/models and not expect to have to fiddle with the suspenders! The Storm profile is completely different than other makes as is the compound - even the Azaro which it replaces. With the rare exception of a few UNPROVEN claims of a defective tire, there is nothing - absolutely nothing wrong with these tires on this platform. As a matter of fact, send me all of your unwanted Storms and I'll run them out.

grummel.gif

Flame on, I have my rubber sheet up. :fuck:

Mr Sir, you don't need to yell. This is the first mention of changing suspension settings that I've seen.... & I have sorta' followed the Avon threads. Apparently, I missed this.

What I don't understand is... why didn't I need to change the suspension settings when, a few years ago, originally changing from Dunlop crap to Azaros?

Did you come up with this cure yourself? Did you need to change your suspension when changing to Storms?

I have never heard of changing suspension settings when changing tires. Is this a new practice or has this practice been around for awhile.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mr Sir, you don't need to yell. This is the first mention of changing suspension settings that I've seen.... & I have sorta' followed the Avon threads. Apparently, I missed this.
What I don't understand is... why didn't I need to change the suspension settings when, a few years ago, originally changing from Dunlop crap to Azaros?

Did you come up with this cure yourself? Did you need to change your suspension when changing to Storms?

I have never heard of changing suspension settings when changing tires. Is this a new practice or has this practice been around for awhile.
I'm with Heidi...what up wid dat?

Here and here for starters. I didn't remember either, but easily found these points by entering +suspension +storm and TwoWheelNut in the Filter by Member field.

Thanks Igg,

This is the first time that I've heard this. So, for real... I'd like to know how to cure this problem. I'd rather do that then send the tire back. I've never messed with my suspension. Jeff Ashe played with it (with good effects I might add) before & seemed to get nice results. What would I need to do? TWO, can you lend a hand?

I'm sorry for the yelling, but absolutely no one is making adjustments for this tire. As I said, it has a completely different profile which, simple logic would dictate, can have an affect on handling over what you may be used to.

As for your previous Duns to 'Vons, they may be more similar to each other requiring little or no changes. I am guilty of bashing the hell outta Z6's and now, I think I may be completely outta line for doing so as I may not have gone the 'right' way with my suspension changes for that tire. The Storms have given me the best change feedback of any tire yet and the Z6's didn't. I now believe that is my bad for not completely changing my set-up to that tire. (Randy's gonna be all over me on that one! :p )

With this tire, you should be running a bit more front end weight bias than what you are used to. I've said it before and I'll say it again, my Storms are dead stable and planted like an oak tree in all conditions except for the occasional excursion into the berries, in which case, they do indeed sucketh. :blink:

Heidi

Have to say just fitted my Storms and I am really impressed.

Mounted them myself, zero weights required for the rear, 14 grms on the front (but the wheel is light at that point.)

42 Psi front and back.

On front Sag 20mms, Compression and Rebound 3 clicks on the hard side.

On the rear I have an Ohlins :love:

Chris

With this tire, you should be running a bit more front end weight bias than what you are used to. I've said it before and I'll say it again, my Storms are dead stable and planted like an oak tree in all conditions except for the occasional excursion into the berries, in which case, they do indeed sucketh. :blink:
Ok, forgive me. I am completely ignorant when talking about suspension settings. In order to make the bike heavier in the front. What settings would I change?

I am definitely willing to give it a try to see if this'll cure my problem. As long as I document my settings, I can always go back right? So, tell me... which clickage would I be changing?

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, forgive me. I am completely ignorant when talking about suspension settings. In order to make the bike heavier in the front. What settings would I change?
I am definitely willing to give it a try to see if this'll cure my problem. As long as I document my settings, I can always go back right? So, tell me... which clickage would I be changing?
You have mail.

I just put a Pilot Road front with a relatively new Avon rear, did 1700 miles, about 450 in the monsoon like rain last week. Had no problems at all, other than the Michelin was noiser when leaned over.

I ran 2,800 miles with a rear Avon Storm and slightly used Pirelli Diablo Strada front. No ill effects and no suspension change was required. The Strada front is a nice handling tire with reasonable tread life, and the front tread pattern does not have the problem of wearing without indication like the rear.

BTW, that front is still on the bike and has just worn out another Strada rear. Time to change both.

:)