A good price?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sonic1

Reaction score
I found a new 08 fjr AE. The dealer's first offer was $12,500. What is a reasonable price? Thanks for any feedback.

Anything south of 11k is a GOOD deal. Lots of members here jumped on the "leftovers" program in the last year and paid under 11k. Also, not all of these bikes are the same. Some have full factory warrenty, some do not. It's a question you will want to ask.

Anything south of 11k is a GOOD deal. Lots of members here jumped on the "leftovers" program in the last year and paid under 11k. Also, not all of these bikes are the same. Some have full factory warrenty, some do not. It's a question you will want to ask.
Thanks very much. I wasn't going to pay 12.5K as that is his first offer. I did ask and the bike has a full warranty. Also read on here that some folks are getting discounts on accesories and not paying certain fees when they purchased thier motorcycles?

I got a new 08 AE two months ago out the door for 10,900.00. They've got another one just sitting there all ready to go.

You don't need to buy a bike to get a discount on the accessories; You just need to shop carefully.

As to any fees? You shouldn't be paying those either; The 'doc fee' is just another way for the dealer to get you to pay for dinner. And transport and assembly are included in te price of the bike, so charging extra for those just lets the dealer invite his buddies to join him and the misses when they go out.

The AE is a showroom queen (not to diss anyone who bought one). It didn't sell well in North America which is why they don't offer them for 2010.

So now you know what your baseline is; $10,900 OTD in Minesotta (what are local taxes there?) as things stand and I know that some have bought new AEs for under $10K.

There's an '09 AE demo bike that was used for a magazine review available on ebay, located in Tennessee with about $3K miles and a BIN of under $10,500, with a lower, undisclosed reserve - never registered, so it has full warranty and you can probably call them and negotiate it out.

Check out the powersportsnetwork.com for their ads; Often you can find good deals, though their search engine is a bit wonky.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just some fuel for you as a buyer. 6-8 months ago there were ALOT of 08AE leftovers, and the price dropped as low as high 9K range. As these bike sold off some, the price has gone back up a bit. I paid 10.5K out the door not including TTL.

My local dealer had one on the floor, but was not willing to match the price of a dealer 150 miles away, but had 5 of these bikes to sell off. I ended up saving 2K for the 150 mile drive.

Make sure the bike is eligible for the YES EXTENDED WARRANTY, not just the Factory 1 year warranty.

IIRC: Some dealer picked up new bikes at dealer auction then sold to the customer. Some customers later found out their new bike was not eligible for the extended YES warranty. Still ended up being a great deal, but the new owners were not made aware of this at time of sale.

Where are you located?

Just some fuel for you as a buyer. 6-8 months ago there were ALOT of 08AE leftovers, and the price dropped as low as high 9K range. As these bike sold off some, the price has gone back up a bit. I paid 10.5K out the door not including TTL.
My local dealer had one on the floor, but was not willing to match the price of a dealer 150 miles away, but had 5 of these bikes to sell off. I ended up saving 2K for the 150 mile drive.

Make sure the bike is eligible for the YES EXTENDED WARRANTY, not just the Factory 1 year warranty.

IIRC: Some dealer picked up new bikes at dealer auction then sold to the customer. Some customers later found out their new bike was not eligible for the extended YES warranty. Still ended up being a great deal, but the new owners were not made aware of this at time of sale.

Where are you located?
I'm located in Panama City, FL. The dealer here actually has 2 on the floor one is ABS optioned and the other is not. I figure it would probably be wise to go w/ the ABS option. How much is the YES warranty and is it something I'll need? 10.5K is what I would like to pay but I figured I would go as high as 11K if I need to. This is my first bike by the way. I've done lot's of research on motorcycles but none have really appealed to me until I saw this one and read about it.

Where are you located?
I'm located in Panama City, FL. The dealer here actually has 2 on the floor one is ABS optioned and the other is not. I figure it would probably be wise to go w/ the ABS option. How much is the YES warranty and is it something I'll need? 10.5K is what I would like to pay but I figured I would go as high as 11K if I need to. This is my first bike by the way. I've done lot's of research on motorcycles but none have really appealed to me until I saw this one and read about it.
yes, you should purchase the extended warranty IMHO...if you can find it for a reasonable price you can afford...

especially on an AE with electric, computer controlled clutch...something else to fail and a few here have had problems

ABS would be another knod to me as it's more to have a problem

the cost from an Alabama dealer is quite attractive like half the $700 retail price;

however being in Florida, the laws states you can only purchase a warranty IN Florida - sorry about that bit of bad news

Where are you located?
yes, you should purchase the extended warranty IMHO...if you can find it for a reasonable price you can afford...

especially on an AE with electric, computer controlled clutch...something else to fail and a few here have had problems

the cost from an Alabama dealer is quite attractive like half the $700 retail price;

however being in Florida, the laws states you can only purchase a warranty IN Florida - sorry about that bit of bad news

Ok, I didn't know I could only purchase a warranty in FL. I'm in the military, does that make a difference? I'm moving to Arizona in Oct. Should I wait or go for it? Seems to me like ABS is good option--is it not? Any known problems with the AE model?

Sonic,

I read your post this is your first bike. Please heed the warning you received regarding your choice on the FJR as a first bike. The bike is VERY powerful, and a top heavy at low speed. Other than that, I agree with you! I owned a V-strom 650 for a year before giving into an FJR.

I should add.. Buying an AE makes riding a bit more convient is city conditions. But the AE version is in NO WAY easier to ride than a manual clutch. The AE adds some slow speed issues to the mix.

As for your dealer telling you they have an ABS version and a Non-ABS version... ABS comes standard on the FJR.

The YES warranty extends your factory coverage out 3 more years for approx $350. Do a search here and you will find all the info you need. You do not have to buy the warranty when you buy the bike (you can buy it anytime within the first year). many dealers will ask way too much for the warranty. Florida is the only state that is screwed with the warranty price. But there is a work around for this also.

Just be sure to "ASK" about adding the YES warranty. Play the game that you want it at time of purchase. This will make sure your bike is capable of getting it later. Then don't buy it...

I will send you a PM with some contact info if you have questions.

Note that YES is worth $389 (all in) because that is what you'll pay for it from D&H if the dealer insists it is worth $900 plus taxes.

There are simple ways to get around the Florida restrictions - they not hard to do and you will save many hundreds of dollars. Florioda dealers are gouging their clients because they essentially have a captive market.

Also, note that you have a year to purchase the YES (note do NOT buy a 3rtd party warranty). So you can buy it from D&H after you move

As to the ABS - if they have an '08 without ABS then tell them to get it fixed. Starting with the 2006 model they only come with ABS.

Last edited by a moderator:

Where are you located?

Ok, I didn't know I could only purchase a warranty in FL. I'm in the military, does that make a difference? I'm moving to Arizona in Oct. Should I wait or go for it? Seems to me like ABS is good option--is it not? Any known problems with the AE model?
October is not that far off. Would it be easier waiting till after you PCS to buy a bike?

Sonic,
I read your post this is your first bike. Please heed the warning you received regarding your choice on the FJR as a first bike. The bike is VERY powerful, and a top heavy at low speed. Other than that, I agree with you! I owned a V-strom 650 for a year before giving into an FJR.

I should add.. Buying an AE makes riding a bit more convient is city conditions. But the AE version is in NO WAY easier to ride than a manual clutch. The AE adds some slow speed issues to the mix.

As for your dealer telling you they have an ABS version and a Non-ABS version... ABS comes standard on the FJR.

The YES warranty extends your factory coverage out 3 more years for approx $350. Do a search here and you will find all the info you need. You do not have to buy the warranty when you buy the bike (you can buy it anytime within the first year). many dealers will ask way too much for the warranty. Florida is the only state that is screwed with the warranty price. But there is a work around for this also.

Just be sure to "ASK" about adding the YES warranty. Play the game that you want it at time of purchase. This will make sure your bike is capable of getting it later. Then don't buy it...

I will send you a PM with some contact info if you have questions.
Scotty,

thanks for the info. I appreciate it!