A New to Me Sign

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

airboss

Reaction score
Out for a little jaunt in the country today and saw this Sign along side the road.

DSCN0285.jpg

Now I'm thinking, if those blind as bat, cell phone talking cagers can't see this

JD_r4d001509_8rtractor.jpg

in the middle of the road.

Then we sure can't expect them to see this.

DSCN0055.jpg

Why is the corn (behind the bike) brown in the middle of summer yet the background corn is green? :huh:

848's lookin' good.

Wouldn't that Deere be fun to drive, hook up the I Pod and go!

Unfortunately, up here in northern Illinois within the past month, a cager run into a tractor (not as big as that one) at high speed as it turned left into a field and the car tried to pass. The car struck the farmer broadside and the farmer was killed. :(

Why is the corn (behind the bike) brown in the middle of summer yet the background corn is green? :huh:

848's lookin' good.

Doug you been away from the Midwest to long, the cabs on these tractors are sound proof, dust proof, air conditioned, surround sound stereo, the tractor has GPS guidance, and cruise control.

The brown corn was flagged as some kind of early hybrid.

Yeah it would be a blast to fire that thing up and take a run at the lower 40, sure is differant than the old farmall Grandpa let me drive. :)

Wow! Don's old enough to remember Johnny poppers.......................Man that's old :lol:

Wow! Don's old enough to remember Johnny poppers.......................Man that's old :lol:
He isn't the only one, I've got many an hour on both A & B's. Who can forget the hand clutch when your in the 6th grade.

Learned on a Farmall C but I liked the H and 400 better.

My Grandpa had a 40s era Johnny Popper and a 50's era Farmall...I loved driving both those tractors from on top of my Grandpa's lap...but I loved the sound of that old Johnny Popper the best. :yahoo:

EDIT, PUI last night.. :)
Airboss, I have a 1936 Allison Allis Chalmers dozer, does that count for any points?

Last edited by a moderator:

848's lookin' good.

Doug you been away from the Midwest to long, the cabs on these tractors are sound proof, dust proof, air conditioned, surround sound stereo, the tractor has GPS guidance, and cruise control.

The brown corn was flagged as some kind of early hybrid.

Yeah it would be a blast to fire that thing up and take a run at the lower 40, sure is differant than the old farmall Grandpa let me drive. :)
Yep, remember all them old ones, Minneapolis Moline, Allis Chalmers, Olivers.... got picture books of them and a few scale models.....

That big Deere is probably a turbo diesel too!! Spendy though... cost as much as your house!!

I see that Pepperell hangs out at the Deerfield Fair. We usually waste a day there too and sometimes enter the photo competition.

After the last meeting of the Breakfast Club which included just me 'n my pillion we went over to VT and paraphrased Rt 100. Which is to say that we followed the basic route of 100 but did it following parallel roads which were >85% dirt -- Fred, did ya know this can be done? After hours of dirt roads we saw two vehicles, this is the first one we saw:

IMG_1558b.jpg

Growing up I worked on my grandparent's farm every summer. The first tractor I learned to operate had 4 legs and an attitude, none the less I learned how to plow a straight row and maintain the 'tractor'. Then things got fun one summer when the 'tractor' got too old to plow. My grandfather bought a really old Ford truck and brought out the torch and we converted the truck into a tractor. It scored at least a 90 on the Red Neck Engineering scale. Then finally my grandfather forked over the big bucks for a pre-whipped Allis Chalmers just like this one--

tractor_1.jpg

Because the farm was 2 miles from the main road maintaining his farm driveway was both critical and extremely difficult. The first implements that my grandfather made were blades to grade and maintain the driveway in the summer and keep the driveway open during the snowy MO winters. It was a bonus to be able to use the tractor in the fields too. I just can't tell you how fun it was on the occasions where I got to use the engine hand crank to start this cold blooded beast after the charging system died.

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showuser=708

We had an old Fordson on the ranch. Similar to this one:

FordsonTractor54.jpg

I was too young (Read: small!) to start it with the crank, but I could drive it (barely).

Dad worked at a Ford Tractor dealer and would bring home one of their rental tractors to use in the Prune orchard. I remember being allowed to disc a fire break around the pasture in the back 5 acres (A 600 series (?), similar to the Ford just above the Donkey Engine in Pepperell's post).....when I was 9 or 10 years old.

860.jpg

Those were the days!