A New to Me Sign

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This looks like my Grampa's old Ford. His had headlights in front and tail lights in back though (headlights mounted just under the Ford name in the pic, rear ones mounted on the fenders). I don't know anything about tractors, so I may not be calling it the correct name, but he would mow the fields behind our houses with a long articulated blade that would hinge up when not in use. It was hung off the back and powered from the PTO with a toothed blade sawing back and forth within a stationary 'guide'. I never drove it with that attached, but I did drive it around with a flat tralier in tow when he'd pick up cut brush and such. Suicide knob on the steering wheel, push-button start, sloppy clutch/shifter (it wasn't as 'new' as the one in the photo above!) and that stiff throttle lever you had to sort of 'bump' adjust with the heel of your hand. He had a plow attachment to clear the driveway in the winter, a set of discs and one or two other attachments that I never saw him use. I can still hear the sound of that thing in my head like it was yesterday...

Thanks for the memories!!! :)

I don't know anything about tractors, so I may not be calling it the correct name, but he would mow the fields behind our houses with a long articulated blade that would hinge up when not in use. It was hung off the back and powered from the PTO with a toothed blade sawing back and forth within a stationary 'guide'.

Sickle Bar Mower?

sklmwrdim.jpg

Grew up wheat farming on my grandfather's land (50's - 70's). Minneapolis Moline wide-stance tractor and a Gleaner Baldwin combine from the 50's. A Chevy "wheat" (drump) truck from the 40's. A Chevy step-side pickup from the 50's. All running propane.

1.jpg

Every day started with greasing the zirks of all the equipment. PM kept these old guys running well into the 80's.

Who say's a 12 year old can't drive? Man was my grandad pissed when I asked to be paid like the harvest crews were. That 25 cents an hour was a big deal to both of us.

Last edited by a moderator:
At the end of September my town hosts a tractor show. If anyone is interested in seeing part of this 2 day show LMK and I'll send you the details.

IMG_4966_resize.jpg

IMG_4967_resize.jpg

IMG_4999_resize.jpg

IMG_5002_resize.jpg

IMG_4968a_resize.jpg

The next thing you know the tractor owners mistake their farm tools for being toys and a tractor pull breaks out. This is like watching a snail race with the snail towing a can of beans.

IMG_4972c.jpg

IMG_4978b.jpg

IMG_4981_resize.jpg

IMG_4991_resize.jpg

IMG_4994sm.jpg

Then the boys tell the old men and farmers to move over and they will show them how it's done.

DSCN6710b.jpg

DSCN6712a_resize.jpg

DSCN6715a_resize.jpg

DSCN6736c.jpg

DSCN6742_resize.jpg

DSCN6744b.jpg

IMG_9306_resize.jpg

IMG_9327a_resize.jpg

IMG_9341a_resize.jpg

IMG_9345a_resize.jpg

IMG_9357a_resize.jpg

IMG_9360_resize.jpg

IMG_9372a_resize.jpg

IMG_9387a_resize.jpg

Ya gotta give this guy credit, he drove this rig up from MA, hooked it up and made 3 serious attempts to move the empty stone boat. I mean he revved it up and popped the clutch to a standing ovation. The stone boat was unmoved by the effort or the crowd's cheering.

DSCN6746b.jpg