A possible secure ignition switch fix

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

7xray

Reaction score
Thanks Ponyfool, Ionbeam and all the others for the good information about the ignition switch problem. One way to give some security for the "temporary" fix would be to use a key switch instead of a toggle switch. Like this from Jameco

Those of you that live in the land of electronics parts stores can probably find one at Fry's etc. The switch from Jameco is rated at only 6 amp and I seem to remember somebody saying the load is around 20 amp so you could add a relay, such as this.

I'm not sure how or where to put this mechanically but it could even go under the seat by running a couple of wires up to the ignition switch. I can gin up a schematic later when I get to another computer if anybody needs.

Cheers,

7X

A simple switch (or wire nut) will get you out of being stranded. Once home, taking apart the ignition switch to re-solder it isn't that difficult.

More importantly IMO, seeing how easy it is to hot wire this bike, would be installing a hidden kill switch.

The real fix is to use an ignition relay.

At least until Yamaha decides to fix this issue.

At this time, all other 'fixes' won't get you around that semi you just tried to pass when the power (and you) died.

This is not good, someone on this board is going to die before this problem is fixed; it's just a matter of time.

Yamaha, you listening?

Last edited by a moderator:
The switch from Jameco is rated at only 6 amp and I seem to remember somebody saying the load is around 20 amp so you could add a relay, such as this.
The load is much higher than 20 amps, it comes directly from the main fuse rated at 50 amps. No wonder the copper contact discolors and the plastic carrier inside the ignition switch tends to melt.

Look for a 70 amp relay such as this.

Brodie

Last edited by a moderator:
The real fix is to use an ignition relay.
At least until Yamaha decides to fix this issue.

At this time, all other 'fixes' won't get you around that semi you just tried to pass when the power (and you) died.

This is not good, someone on this board is going to die before this problem is fixed; it's just a matter of time.

Yamaha, you listening?

AMAN YAMAHA I DO NOT TO BE THE ONE!!! are you LISTENING!!!!?????