A Ride from Iowa to New Orleans

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I see a HUGE problem there in that is almost all interstate!  Why on earth would you do that?  You will be in an area of the country that has awesome roads.  Don't ruin it by slabbing it!

The map is just Google's point to point the route planning is open. I agree there are much better roads and I am trying to find them.

I see a HUGE problem there in that is almost all interstate!  Why on earth would you do that?  You will be in an area of the country that has awesome roads.  Don't ruin it by slabbing it!

I've done a few two week small group rides. My most recent trip plan was in 2019 for a summer 2020 small group 8 day ride. We planned on staying in Eureka Springs and riding around NW Arkansas (HA!, COVID anyone?). What I find is doing a lot of research, like you asking questions here, makes for a better trip experience.

During my NW Arkansas planning and research I came across this example which is somewhat in the neighborhood of your trip route:

MotorcycleRoads.com NW Arkansas example

Scroll down there's a long comment about the area, you may be able to cherry-pick a couple of scenic / touristy spots or roads along or near your trip route. There are other "Top 5" selections there also.

Use the slab wisely - we would slab to bypass the uninteresting, and then get off to take 'back roads' so we can get to the interesting spots along the way.

HTH

https://goo.gl/maps/1mnm8nnb2hZ1eufa9

I am doing a trip in May from Iowa south to see friends, but I don't know the area, so what are some good roads to ride. This map is a basic outline from the start in Iowa. If anyone could give some input it would be appreciated.
Are the corners of the IA/MO portion (CR, Omaha, Rockport, Princeton, Sedalia) must stops to see people or sights? I can work up a good route that will get you off slab in Ia and MO.