ABS flashing with brake modulator.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ahchiu

FJR Commander
Reaction score
I tried to install LED brake lights and got a flashing ABS light, removed and it's fine, now I installed a brake modulator and I get the ABS flashing again. I didn't have this problem on my 06. Is there something different with the 09 ABS sensor?

It's Friday! Woohoo!
punk.gif

LED lights will mess with cruise controls too. I know I need a harness with an isolator for my trailer because it has LED lights. I am at work now, but I will check when I get home. I can't remember what, exactly, it does to stop the interference. I am assuming you tapped it into the existing brake lights?

Intech that is correct I tapped into the factory harness.
Real question is, do you still have an incandescent bulb as a brake light? If not, you are very likely to get the ABS error unless you do something about it.

The ABS monitors the voltage on the brake light circuit. Without the filament pulling that voltage to close to zero, the ABS system may well "see" too high a voltage (it probably bleeds some current into the circuit to check its own connectivity).

Why your '06 didn't show an error and your '09 does, I can't speculate (well, I could, but it would be a waste of time).

The cure would be a changeover relay as many have used to kid an after-market cruise control that all is OK after they have fitted LED brake lights or whatever, though that might not be as easy to implement.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the regular bulbs for brake and changed the turn signals to LED, I installed a Whelen LIN3 for a third brake light.

I have the regular bulbs for brake <snip>, I installed a Whelen LIN3 for a third brake light.
In that case, I'd check your wiring very carefully, in particular make sure the original brake lights behave properly.

Get rid of the brakelight modulator. It is turning on and off the brakelight, when in is in the "off" position, the system sees the same problem as it did when you had the LED's in the brakelight. There is a very simple rule of thumb that should be poted at the front of this site and just about every other mechanically based site on the planet: If you do something and right after that a problem happens... undo it.

How did you install your modulator? I installed a Kisan brake light modulator and a Whelen LIN3 and I had no problem with anything.