ABS light continuously flashing

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

08FJR4ME

-WYNPRO-
Reaction score
Ok, first disclaimer: I red several threads

Second disclaimer: I went to You Tube

1) Turn the key on ABS light continuously flashes (WTF)

2) Try and start the bike and it won't start (2'nd WTF)

3) Turn the key on and off and it remains the same

How come we don't get a dam ABS coupler with the bike? With out it I can't test the ABS.

A ) Bike is on center stand and I could have possibly put it in gear and move the tire.

B ) Other possibility Is I pulled the 12V accessory cables off 2 weeks ago. (Could I have screwed something up?) I don't think I did.

Next is to check the fuses I guess. I got to run out for now but I will be back in a couple of hours.

Good thing I have two FJRs. Hopefully one will always be running.

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe Fred is correct. I've had mine stay glowing once in a while until I tap both brake levers. But your issue of no start, hummmm...

Come on guys, read what he posted.

Ignition on, - ABS light FLASHES. It should come on solid, then go off later (precise behaviour depends on model year).

Bike WON'T START. Normally FJRs start.

To the OP - turning the rear wheel may excite the ABS system, but won't prevent the bike starting, and ignition cycling will put it back to normal.

One comment, check the rear brake isn't binding, this can cause ABS issues, though I don't think it would stop it starting after ignition cycling.

Other than that, it sounds to me like a connector problem, corrosion, loose or broken wire.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

I read his post as constantly on, not constantly flashing. My bad. I'll just shut up and go away now.
NO, NO, NO! (sub title says in small print 2008 w/92K)

Don't go away. I just finished breakfast and will be heading out to the garage shortly. Going to check a few things and return later on.

EDIT: Fuses are all fine. Read the manual some more. Enough for today time to do yard work.

Dave

This is exactly why I will never have less than TWO bikes, and ensure one is always operable!

That's how I justified my 2nd to my (ex-)wife, now I don't have to justify to anyone!

Well I will admit that it is the original battery. Seems to crank fine for several attempts anyway.

Dave

Was the bike fine before you worked on it?

Possible a spider ground issue? I know there was a wiring recall on that year bike. Mine has it done. You might want to check that.

Never did the recall for the spider issue. I believe the time has run out on the recall also. Right now it's over in the corner being punnished. I did some researching and I may try a couple of things tomorrow. For now the 2015 is getting some quality time.

Dave

Well I pulled the panels off again to get to the air filter intake. ABS light is still flashing. Charged the battery for over an hour before attempting to start the bike. I put the charger on jump start and hit the button. Same deal with the engine turning over like the 2015 does. No start!

So I gave it a shot of either and she started to stumble and fire but not sounding very well at all. OK, WOT with a shot of either now you bastard. I swear I hit the rev limiter within 2 seconds so I released the throttle. Gave it some normal cranks and she was trying to fire but nothing goin.

So I have a fuel issue and an ABS issue. The question is Is the ABS stopping the fuel to the engine or do I have two problems still. I am pretty sure If I can get the fuel going to the engine she would run. So I have power camander on the bike also. It lights up and seems to cycle itself so I don't think that is the issue.

Dave

I don't think that the no-start can be related to the ABS fault. As far as the ABS is concerned, I think I would be looking for issues with sensors and connectors. Easy enough to damage something (or forget to hook it up again). You mentioned that the fuses were all OK..

For the no-start condition, it sounds like you are getting engine turnover and some spark - you mentioned that it "almost" caught? (Did you verify the spark? - the ether high-rev start might have been compression-ignition but I don't think so.) Try it with a fully charged battery in good condition - makes a difference. Perhaps even a car battery for the capacity. Do the WOT cranking for no more than 10-12 seconds and then let the starter motor cool down for a minute before trying again. If there is no joy on that, take the Power Commander out of the circuit. They have been known to fail. (Before you do that, make sure that the ground for the PC is properly hooked up) I replaced my '07 battery this spring after 160,000+ miles and while the old battery started the bike reliably, the new one is MUCH better.

I hope the start issues are not related to compression loss in one or more cylinders. This isn't likely to happen suddenly and I would expect to see symptoms before you ran into a start failure but compression and leakdown might be worth checking if you have access to the equipment...

I know its a PITA, but you might want to lift the tank and pull a spark plug to see if it is wet after trying the WOT. While you have it out, double check for spark. Check that all four spark plug boots are firmly seated. A chance to check the fuel pump connector to the tank while you are at it.

Doesn't sound like a usual grounding (spider) issue to me - I would expect some funky things to be going on with dash lights, windshield mechanism etc.

Good luck with it. (Happy to help with armchair mechanical advice and I guarantee that the free advice is worth at least twice what you paid for it.) I'm betting that there is nothing serious amiss.

I replaced the plugs a couple of weeks ago after trying to attempt starting it. They were due for a change anyway and I had them on the desk. The plugs were dry with no presence of fuel then also. Three of the plugs looked normal one was slightly darker.

I was thinking this morning when I started the 2015 that I didn't here that whiring sound from the pump when trying to start the 2008. Key goes on but is mostly quiet which isn't normal. Time to check the voltage to the pump I guess.

Dave

I replaced the plugs a couple of weeks ago after trying to attempt starting it. They were due for a change anyway and I had them on the desk. The plugs were dry with no presence of fuel then also. Three of the plugs looked normal one was slightly darker.I was thinking this morning when I started the 2015 that I didn't here that whiring sound from the pump when trying to start the 2008. Key goes on but is mostly quiet which isn't normal. Time to check the voltage to the pump I guess.

Dave
...and check that the plug is properly "clicked" into the socket on the bottom of the tank...

Take that Power Commander off. That has a high probability of fixing your fuel issue.

Update,

I ordered a new battery and rear sensor for the 2008 yesterday. Those two situations will be eliminated at least. I will tear back into it this weekend. I haven't bothered with

it lately and have been riding the 2015 instead. Winter is coming so I want to get the 2008 running again and put the 2015 to bed for the winter.

Dave