Acceptable Riding Footwear

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've liked my upgrade from Rocky Eliminators to Oxtar Matrix for riding and walking. Wore them all day at work without an issue.

I wear these: https://www.motorcyclegear.com/street/boots/sport_street_touring_boots/sidi/fusion_air_motorcycle_boots.html
sidi_fusion_air_front600.jpg

And an older version of these: https://www.motorcyclegear.com/street/boots/waterproof_sport_street_touring_boots/sidi/tour_rain_boots.html

sidi_tour_rain_600.jpg
Generally I'm finding boots with this kind of velcro-fastened flap on the inside of the boot tend to hang up on the shift lever when dropping my left foot to the ground, whether dismounting or not. And any boot with laces needs some facility to secure those damn things so they don't hang up on shift or brake levers or foot-pegs. Any/all are possible if the loops are left to flap freely.

If you wear your pants over your boots, no flaps can hang on anything. Laces should be tucked in the top of the boots. Then they can't get hung up either.

Been using a set of waterproof lace-up Red Wings for many years now. Red Wing doesn't make the specific boot anymore and they're just about toast, so it's time I move to a M/C boot this time around.

--G

I have Winter and Summer boots, for years all I would ride with is a set of Loggers be them from Red Wing, Buffalo and now I have a set of White's for summer riding. The FJR has extended my riding time and I also have a set of Alpinestars for the cold & wet.

I suppose the Alpinestars are and may be a bit better protection as they are a lot thicker. But I'm a N wet boy who has had a tree land on his leg and a log deck roll out over him and came out walking (barely) both times wearing my Loggers. Habits are hard to break sometimes.

Well being one of those having to had rods put in my malleolus, I ride only with MC specific boots.

Ankle protection is important, it not the sliding on your side as much as the rolling of the ankle if you have even a slow speed get off.

Wouldn't go less than a 3/4 boot to get that solid ankle protection.

I have a pair of Dainese Kisoro - Very solid boot with excellent protection for Road trips, Rain and cold.

And a older pair of Oxtar Goretex 3/4 boots used for daily shorter rides.

One thing I wouldn't weigh as a heavy concern is walking around comfort.

Even the best quality boots focus on a good solid sole, and protection.

Make any boot better just by buying new insoles for $14, it's worth making the switch.

Careful with the Rugged hiking boots, the thickness can interrupt or restrict the shifter movements.

Beware of shoelaces.
Laces are tough to beat for a positive and secure fastening system. But they take longer to don and doff than zippers, and as James points out, the careless can find them unexpectedly hanging up on shift and break levers at exactly the wrong times.

So as a safety feature, my boots have a velcro closure to cover the lace loop and ends, but I like 'zilla's suggestion to just tuck them into the top of the boots, too.

How heavy are the air techs? and I know that they are not a warm boot which is OK with me.
1,330kg = about 2,9 lb pounds both the two boots.
KJ, They seem fairly light when picking them up if that means anything to you.
smile.png
I wanted something vented for my usually warm dogs and these did the trick. Come winter I've never had an issue either. Wore them on Cota's Rock ride where the temps were in the teens and didn't notice any chill. Also never been wet in them although I do hit them with Camp Dry every so often.
Thanks Mike! Exactly what I'm looking for to add to my collection. Waterproof, breathable and lightweight. I dislike a few that I have that feel like I'm wearing Military Mickey Mouse Boots. -Too Heavy!

I scanned eBay and see most go for around the 175 mark. Not 2 shabby :)

I am in the market for a pair of riding boots and considering a pair of military/police/tactical type of boot (likely a pair of Danners, but Bates are a possibility), rather than a motorcycle-specific boot.
The boots that appeal to me are 8-9" hybrid leather/nylon (at least 50% leather), with GoreTex lining.

I would appreciate any thoughts on why this is a good idea or not (and maybe other brand recommendations... ).

Thanks in advance.

P.S. I like the idea of a pair of boots that offer sufficient protection (although perhaps not as much impact protection), that can be worn off the bike as well.
Why does a boot worn off the bike appeal to you?

MC specific boots are specific for a reason, to protect your body in the event of a crash. Non-MC boots lack shin, ankle and often toe protection. I put 140k on a set of Oxtar Matrix boots, including a lot of walking in them w/o issue. I've got a bunch of miles on a pair of TCX Fives (the replacement for the Oxtar Matrix), as well. I also have a pair of Gaerne G-Midlands that are taller and have a more aggressive sole for ADV riding. I have literally worn those for weeks at a time, on and off the bike. I wouldn't necessarily choose them for a 3 mile hike in the woods, but I certainly wouldn't choose a good hiking boot for riding either.

It is possible to put riding boots in the saddlebags and change boots at work, etc. I did this for decades whether I rode to work or drove. As a machinist the street footwear was not suitable for wearing in the shop and steel or kevlar toe work boots were required, and were kept at the shop where I used them, not worn home. They make lousy driving or riding boots and I wouldn't think of tracking all the machine shop oils, chips and other crud into the house.

The more riding you do, the more you'll appreciate a dedicated riding boot. Take a pair of hiking boots with you if you're going for a hike. Keep a set of nice shoes at work and change into them when you get to the office. Stop making excuses for not using the correct tool for the job.

edit - non riding boots do NOT "offer sufficient protection" and you admit to recognizing that in your post.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought a pair of AYC Web Gore Tex boots a couple of years ago from Iron Pony that have performed well. Originally switched to a pair of shoes in the office until I forgot one day and wore the boots all day. Couldn't believe a boot was that comfortable and still wear them all day when I ride to work. Not much of that lately with our cold temps but it will warm up again, sooner or later. If you can find a pair on the internet (ebay or amazon come to mind) they are worth checking out.

My issue is large ankles & calves. I'm not horribly overweight but seem to have been bequeathed with my aunt's type of legs... which means large ankles & calves. I don't want to move from a bike specific boot but I'm seeing that I may not have a choice. The Oxtar Matrix boots that I have right now have never fit right & have never zipped all the way up the side. Every single boot that I've tried on is too small around my ankles & calves. I may be trying the tactical type boots myself out of frustration of not ever fitting cycle specific boots.

(I'd rather have cycle specific boots)

My issue is large ankles & calves. I'm not horribly overweight but seem to have been bequeathed with my aunt's type of legs... which means large ankles & calves. I don't want to move from a bike specific boot but I'm seeing that I may not have a choice. The Oxtar Matrix boots that I have right now have never fit right & have never zipped all the way up the side. Every single boot that I've tried on is too small around my ankles & calves. I may be trying the tactical type boots myself out of frustration of not ever fitting cycle specific boots.
(I'd rather have cycle specific boots)
Sadly, the answer to that is going to be more expensive. Many of the ADV style boots have no zippers, but two/three buckles and a large velcro flap. These accommodate larger calves more easily, though large ankles, I really don't know. Much more adjustable than the average street touring boot.

Alpinestar, Daytona and some of the Sidi boots have good reviews for large ankle/calves. The Sidi Vertigo has adjustable calf areas, for example - https://https://www.revzilla.com/product/sidi-vertigo-boots

If you get Sidi boots, plan on buying one size larger than what you normally wear...at least that's been my experience.

Been using a set of waterproof lace-up Red Wings for many years now. Red Wing doesn't make the specific boot anymore and they're just about toast, so it's time I move to a M/C boot this time around.
--G
I owned a pair of Red Wing boots one time. One of the biggest POS I ever spent money on. Soles disintegrated within a month. Got nothing but the run around for months after, ended up just tossing them and chalking up the experience. I wouldn't recommend Red Wing products to anyone anywhere.

Matt, I've used the type of boot you are thinking about for years. The ones I have are Thorogood duty boots, but I can not find that model listed any more. They are water proof, lace up with a side zipper and a leather flap that completely covers the laces. I also have a two pair of dedicated motorcycle boots, one for the track and one I now where when touring. I bought the touring boots when I could no longer find my favorite duty boot. I still use the duty boots on my dual sport, and they provide excellent protection.

I am in the market for a pair of riding boots and considering a pair of military/police/tactical type of boot (likely a pair of Danners, but Bates are a possibility), rather than a motorcycle-specific boot.

The boots that appeal to me are 8-9" hybrid leather/nylon (at least 50% leather), with GoreTex lining.

I would appreciate any thoughts on why this is a good idea or not (and maybe other brand recommendations... ).

Thanks in advance.

P.S. I like the idea of a pair of boots that offer sufficient protection (although perhaps not as much impact protection), that can be worn off the bike as well.
Why does a boot worn off the bike appeal to you?

MC specific boots are specific for a reason, to protect your body in the event of a crash. Non-MC boots lack shin, ankle and often toe protection.

The more riding you do, the more you'll appreciate a dedicated riding boot. Take a pair of hiking boots with you if you're going for a hike. Keep a set of nice shoes at work and change into them when you get to the office. Stop making excuses for not using the correct tool for the job.

edit - non riding boots do NOT "offer sufficient protection" and you admit to recognizing that in your post.
yes, Yes and YES!!

I've posted this here before but it bears repeating...

A few years ago, a cager - disciplining his kid in the back seat of the moving vehicle - crossed the centre line and took out a wedding party. The groom, who became my patient in the OR, was dressed in leather (not ATGATT like we wear but better than regular street clothes) but he was wearing something akin to street shoes - perhaps his dress shoes (can't recall now). His only injury was to his right foot - but it was catastrophic. Between the jigs and reels of surgery, recovery and complications he ended up with his leg amputated. All because he wasn't wearing MC boots
blink.png

ps - he eventually did marry the same gal who was waiting for him at the church that day
rolleyes.gif

My touring and commuting is with Joe Rocket Touring boots, I've spent all day at the races walking around in them and they are comfortable. Usually at work I bring shoes but if I won't be in the office long I leave them on. About a year and a half ago while on a trip with several riders the guy behind me didn't notice us turning left and went straight as I was turning left and his front tire hit on my left leg shattering the footpeg and rearset. I had a severe ankle sprain and swelling but no broken bones. I hate to imagine would could have become of my ankle with lower boots or ones with less ankle support. I'm a believer in bike specific boots.

Oxtar Matrix (or TCX Fives...I think they're called now). I've worn these boots for nearly 10 years now and they're akin to bedroom slippers while providing good ankle and shin protection. GoreTex lined and waterproof (mine have developed a seep in the past year or so, but given their age and almost being worn out, I understand). I treat the leather with mink oil annually.

IMG_1216-e1303231103818.jpg

I wore military style boots for years. They were inexpensive (thanks to my wife who was in the military at the time).

To get better toe and ankle protection, I switched to safety boots that had rigid protection in those areas. They were also inexpensive for me, as I get an allowance from my job for safety shoes.

Recently, I have switched to motorcycle specific boots. The reason: motorcycle specific boots tend to have a narrower profile, and allow me to operate the foot controls with less effort.