Added a trailer to the stable

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can easily get to 30 degrees or more on a tight twisty road two up towing.

I would look at the ball support, it looks like it has a lot of flange sticking out around the ball that is not necessary for the tongue wieght you will ever see on this set up.

If you are worried about lean angle get yourself one of these. I rode pretty aggressive with the trailer and never had any problems.

0811111712.jpg

If you are worried about lean angle get yourself one of these. I rode pretty aggressive with the trailer and never had any problems.

0811111712.jpg
What's you experience been with this hitch? I've read many posts blasting it.

I've read that it can pivot to one side and just stay there - there is nothing about it that makes it go back to a fully upright position when riding straight. If it stays to one side, that would severely limit the lean angle in the other direction.

I've been investigating one that can swivel a full 360 degrees that mounts on the bike and another one that mounts in the trailer tongue.

0811111712.jpg
What's you experience been with this hitch? I've read many posts blasting it.

I've read that it can pivot to one side and just stay there - there is nothing about it that makes it go back to a fully upright position when riding straight. If it stays to one side, that would severely limit the lean angle in the other direction.

I've been investigating one that can swivel a full 360 degrees that mounts on the bike and another one that mounts in the trailer tongue.
If the trailer is properly connected and level with the hitch there is no problem. Is your question about the ball or the hitch? If the ball is the proper size for the trailer hitch I don't see how the ball wouldn't come back upright especially with a two-wheel trailer. Except for the weight and added momentum I didn't feel it at all.

I think I figured out how the tongue mounted swivel hitches are made and I've already picked up a couple parts from Northern Tool.

The first is a trailer axle spindle:

5712453_lg.jpg

The second is a wheel hub:

57204_lg.jpg

I've cut spacers for the axle spindle to fit into the tongue and am now cutting the large flange off the hub to fit into the hitch coupler (the hub will be nearly square when I'm done cutting.

First I had to figure out how to slow down my band saw for cutting metal. I pulled off the AC motor and installed a DC motor with a speed controller. Now I can run it from about 80 - 200 fpm which is perfect for cutting steel. I'll have to swap it back out for cutting wood (around 3000 fpm). This was a pretty involved project requiring cutting custom pulley wheels to fit the smaller DC motor axle and an adjustable mount to bolt it to the bandsaw to keep the belt tight.

Overall it's about $60 in parts and a couple thousand $ in labor all to avoid buying a commercially available $180 swivel hitch. I don't know why my wife thinks I'm crazy. It's the principle of the thing.

My swivel hitch.

I took a pair of 1/2" bore 1 1/4" OD bearings in a piece of pipe. I put a grade 8 1/2" bolt through the bearings and used a locking coller to keep it together.

The 1/2" threads into a hex coupling. The heim joint I used for the hitch had reverse threads so I welded it into the hex coupling.

I spent too much time also, but WTF?

Honk if I lose my trailer, like my tent and sleeping bag last May!

My swivel hitch.

I took a pair of 1/2" bore 1 1/4" OD bearings in a piece of pipe. I put a grade 8 1/2" bolt through the bearings and used a locking coller to keep it together.

The 1/2" threads into a hex coupling. The heim joint I used for the hitch had reverse threads so I welded it into the hex coupling.

I spent too much time also, but WTF?

Honk if I lose my trailer, like my tent and sleeping bag last May!
Do you have a picture?

I've got a silly question. The Harbor Freight web site says the trailer has a 55 mph max. Has anyone towed one at FJR nominal speeds?

I believe over on Bob Vail's Delphi motorcycle trailer forum that some of the GW guys have dragged them over a 100mph--on a closed course with a professional driver... :)

I've had mine up to 85 or so with no issue, wouldn't hesitate to drag it up to a buck--on a closed course, etc., etc.... :) Although a little weight in it would be wise.

Interestingly, trailers tend to stabilize the bike in strong side winds according to some of the guys who tow in the open West. Maybe it's like having a tail on a kite?

Last edited by a moderator:
That's kinda what I had assumed. Not that I will tow at max speeds, but it's not uncommon to get up near triple digits. In emergency situations, of course. I'd love to do a Bushtec, but laying down 4k plus for something that I'll only use rarely, hmmmm.

This trailer thread interests me greatly. We used one on our Arkansas trip last October, we like to cook and that takes equipment that is difficult to fit into a saddlebag. My cousin pulled it with his Harley, we called the Harley, "The Pack Mule". He, being a Harley rider never said how it affected his mpg. Take note of the ice chest, you never know when you will be spending the night in a dry county.

IMG_2390.jpg

">At Turner's Bend on The Pig Trail (hwy 23)
IMG_2504.jpg
"

The harley did not lean far enough to require a turning hitch, the standard ball and hitch never affected it. I am not bashing the Harley we were glad to have that trailer and more glad to have that ice chest...>

Last edited by a moderator:
The owner at Dauntless said that a regular ball is fine for all trailers that use a ball. He said the only time you would exceed what lean angle the ball allows is when the bike is tipped over. Otherwise it is not an issue. Since he is a manufacturer of high quality trailers, I tend to take him at his word.

To the question of mpg. If I keep it sane and and don't push the speed too much we lose about 5 mpg on average. I went from 42 to 37 on the last trip. If I push the speeds, near triple digits or push teh twisties it drops down to about 34 mpg. My trailer is a bushtec which has air shock suspension. If the trailer hits a bump, the air shock soaks it up and you do not feel anything tranmitted back through the tongue to the trailer. My trailer wieghs about 425 lbs loaded out with camping gear in it. We usually BBQ to cook, so we carry a 5lb bag of match light charcoal, grill whatever we picked up for dinner, cook some mushrooms and onions wrapped in foil with butter and put that directly in the fire to cook while the meat is BBQing. We do carry a butane buner for steaming vegtables. We eat very well on the road. Here is a couple of shots of food cooking. I use the fire wood to hold one end of the basket to control the height from the coals.

1073BCTrip052911_0166a.jpg

1011BCTrip052711_0031a.jpg

Here is a shot loaded up after the first night camping and heading out further North towards Alaska.

1001IMG_2724a.jpg

Here is shot with our tent set up in Northern BC

073.jpg

The next night in Watson Lake, Yukon after 3 miles of dirt road to get back into the campground. Was $12 for the night including firewood.

108.jpg

107.jpg

You can do it and enjoy yourself completely. This was an 11 day trip camping the entire way.

The Harley riding cousin also has a pop-up camper he pulls with it. It came with a rotating hitch and is surprisingly roomy. I just don't think I want to snuggle that close come bed time.