"advanced" Throttle Body Synchronization

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I need a new sync stick, mines shot! Where are you guys getting this Morgan Carbtune II?
Casporttouring.com
Thanks! Ordered one today. That's the only place I found that has them, other than Morgan in the UK. On my old mercury stick, the mercury was starting to separate and couldn't get a good reading and I never did like my Honda gauges, so it was time! They don't make things to last anymore! Only got 20 yrs. out of it! lol

Tried to do the UTB adjust @ 4200 RPM. I used the Morgan Carbtune II. The biggest problem I had was that readings were not always consistent with it. It ok for doing the idle adjustments (no problem there) but when you try to take readings at 4200 RPM either by increaing speed on the throttle or by keeping steady or by slowly increasing the throttle a few time, I can never get similar readings. Tried even to switch channels on MC II but without success. I did install the inserts for damping.

Has anyone experienced this type of problem with their MC II ? :unsure:

I need a new sync stick, mines shot! Where are you guys getting this Morgan Carbtune II?
Casporttouring.com
Casporttouring.com sucks!

I had so many problems with them on my last order I'll never shop there again!
Similar experience here. Decent website makes them feel big, but inefficient back-end shop makes them not really a good place to shop.

My first order took them forever and multiple phone calls to ship. Then when they shipped a part incorrectly, it took not less than 5 additional calls and a whole lot of begging to get them to straighten it out. Prices are cheap, which is OK, as long as you are willing to put up with cheap service, IMHO.

-BD

Northrider, attempts at synch perfection will only frustrate. Engines just aren't prone to perfect numbers all the time. Look for evenness on the acceleration ramp, adjust the ones that lag. Do this in small increments, and know that changing one setting will upset the others. You're looking for a relative balance, not a perfect balance.

Did my first TBS with the Morgan Carbtune II unit this weekend - bike has 3000Km, the settings were off but not crazy. Easy to do. Awesome unit. There are a number of different techniques in this thread on the "Advanced" procedure - what made sense to me was the slow rollup to 4200 and note the disparity - none ongf mine was out more than a bar from each other so I left well enough alone. Seems smoother but it is a pretty smooth mill to start with.

BTW, what I paid to get the Carbtune from England all the way to Canada (in 8 days) cost less than the bike shop had quoted (2 hrs labor...???) :unsure:

Northrider, attempts at synch perfection will only frustrate. Engines just aren't prone to perfect numbers all the time. Look for evenness on the acceleration ramp, adjust the ones that lag. Do this in small increments, and know that changing one setting will upset the others. You're looking for a relative balance, not a perfect balance.
Thanks Radman :)

Okay, A quick question...

I just picked up a used Motion Pro deluxe, which came with 5mm adapters... The instructions say most Yamaha's need a 6mm adapter, which you purchase separately....

Can anyone confirm this? Do I need 6mm adapters to connect the vacuum lines??

Thanks,

Ben

Don't need any adapters. The tubes will fit right on the TB.

Casporttouring.com
Casporttouring.com sucks!

I had so many problems with them on my last order I'll never shop there again!
Similar experience here. Decent website makes them feel big, but inefficient back-end shop makes them not really a good place to shop.

My first order took them forever and multiple phone calls to ship. Then when they shipped a part incorrectly, it took not less than 5 additional calls and a whole lot of begging to get them to straighten it out. Prices are cheap, which is OK, as long as you are willing to put up with cheap service, IMHO.

-BD
Wow, I can't complain, as a matter of fact, I'm going to praise! I ordered the Carbtune II on 8/27 and I just heard the doorbell ring and it's here today, the 31st. That's from Cali. to Fla. in 4 days with USPS Priority Mail which was cheapest. :D You guys who had a bad experience might want to give em another try!

You guys who had a bad experience might want to give em another try
Thats one of the big problems with Calsport, inconsistency. Fine one order, shit the next.

Adapters are threaded.
Excuse my ignorance, as is needed often, but what is this to say. Was my answer of not needing them not good enough. :D

Adapters are threaded.
Excuse my ignorance, as is needed often, but what is this to say. Was my answer of not needing them not good enough. :D
THe Carbtune came with the adapters. They're used where the factory installs a screw instead of a nipple on the intake manifold. You then remove the screw and install the adapter, do your work, and reinstall screw.

Great damn writeups !!!!

We need more tech info like this thanks for your contrbutions

Steve