ADVICE, MENTORING with IDAHO route planning (please)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RenoJohn

Reaction score
am_flag.gif

I think I've narrowed down my July4 ride to Idaho (with a splash of OR and MT). ..Originally was going to do an OR/WA loop, but I think this is a better fit.

[SIZE=12pt]I'd really appreciate some advice, mentoring and coaching on roads.
*most* of these I've been on before, but there are some new roads and areas to me. Primarily, I'm looking for little known roads with great POI's and/or scenery also looking for better routing options. Dirt is OK. Previous Idaho riding has been kinda whirlwind adventures and while hit a lot of roads, never took the time to stay in obscure towns etc. Seemed I always ended up in Boise or near.

Below is my initial rough draft of map/routing. Please let me know what suggestions you have to make it better.

ORIGINAL MAPS
(rev01) here clicky
(rev02) here clicky
(rev03) here clicky
(rev05) here clicky
(rev06) here clicky

REVISED (most current) MAP (rev07):
08IdahoRev07a.gif

Zoom of upper portion:
08IdahoRev07b.gif

A few comments:
Being this will be about a 5day/(4 or 5 night) run over the fourth of july weekend:
-I've got time to explore wider areas, but also want to have time to enjoy local flavor -if you know what I mean :)
-Being a lover of the USA, I'd love to visit/stay in some small towns that my be sharing my patriatism over our Independence Day holiday. Oh, plan on moteling but will bring basic dry camp gear to leave options open.
-I'd like to avoid crazy holiday traffic and concerned some of these roads might be jacked up with vacationers???
-Leaving Reno Wednesday ...returning sunday(ish)

Any help/advice very much appreciated. I'd hope to have my likely route done in the next days so that I can start researching some of the areas that I'll be riding through for POI's, history and odd factoids.

thanks in advance ....renojohn
[/SIZE]

Last edited by a moderator:
It’s too bad you couldn’t include SR-55 North out of Boise. I took that route once over the July 4th weekend and all of the little towns (Horseshoe Bend, Cascade, Donnelly, Lake Fork and McCall had little town festivals (flea market/ swap-meets) which really added a lot of cool stops along the way. Lots of good eats and neat little trinkets to buy and fill up your saddlebags with.

You are skipping probably the most fun stretch of 395, from 26 north to Ukiah. 7 is very fun too, (do stop in Austin Jct. for a meal at Austin House if you can) A little loop of 395, then West on 74, followed by 207 South with an optional out and back on 19 and 218 to Shaniko, then back down to 26 and over to Austin Jct. to pick up 7 would spice things up. Shaniko is a fun place to check out as well if you like the ghost town/museum stuff.

I was just in the Sun Valley area and it is full of people and you can almost smell the money. The ride up to Stanley through the Sawtooth mtns is great. If you get a chance the motel and resturant in Lowman it pretty good. Its called the Sourdough Lodge and the price was right and the food was good. There are also a lot of camp grounds and hot springs in the area. I am just off of 97 south of Bend. If you need anything give a shout. 541-536-8556.

It's too bad you couldn't include SR-55 North out of Boise. I took that route once over the July 4th weekend and all of the little towns (Horseshoe Bend, Cascade, Donnelly, Lake Fork and McCall had little town festivals (flea market/ swap-meets) which really added a lot of cool stops along the way. Lots of good eats and neat little trinkets to buy and fill up your saddlebags with.
I had thought of that, but opted to go into ID via Hells Canyon. will certainly consider 55

You are skipping probably the most fun stretch of 395, from 26 north to Ukiah. 7 is very fun too, (do stop in Austin Jct. for a meal at Austin House if you can) A little loop of 395, then West on 74, followed by 207 South with an optional out and back on 19 and 218 to Shaniko, then back down to 26 and over to Austin Jct. to pick up 7 would spice things up. Shaniko is a fun place to check out as well if you like the ghost town/museum stuff.
Hmmm, ...well I've been on some of that but I don't believe 74, 207 or that goat trail through monument (which looks good to me so I cut back that way. Man, lots of state forest roads it seems in that area .....hmmmm.....thanks and I've changed the map ...comments???

I was just in the Sun Valley area and it is full of people and you can almost smell the money. The ride up to Stanley through the Sawtooth mtns is great. If you get a chance the motel and resturant in Lowman it pretty good. Its called the Sourdough Lodge and the price was right and the food was good. There are also a lot of camp grounds and hot springs in the area. I am just off of 97 south of Bend. If you need anything give a shout. 541-536-8556.
I wondered just that ....why I did an out/back into Ketchum from the north ...think I'll be OK?? Traffic and rich people make me stooopid (with three "O's" no less). Thanks on the lodge advice ...that sounds greast. And, I know La Pine very well my friend :) ....we'll trade some stories sometime.
Please see revised map ......

RJ

I tried to print your map and then mark a couple of alternates for you but got screwed up trying to save it, etc. I guess there is no way to access your map and add alternates in a diff. color?

Anyway, just east and south of Orofino, ID is a great loop towards Wieppe and Pierce, especially climbing out of the valley towards Wieppe.

And the best of all is a terrific ride from Halfway, OR north to Joseph, Enterprise and then north thru Flora, Rattlesnake Canyon, etc. and up to Lewiston. This is very nice!!! Way better than riding up 96.

RJI tried to print your map and then mark a couple of alternates for you but got screwed up trying to save it, etc. I guess there is no way to access your map and add alternates in a diff. color?

Anyway, just east and south of Orofino, ID is a great loop towards Wieppe and Pierce, especially climbing out of the valley towards Wieppe.

And the best of all is a terrific ride from Halfway, OR north to Joseph, Enterprise and then north thru Flora, Rattlesnake Canyon, etc. and up to Lewiston. This is very nice!!! Way better than riding up 96.
1. No, it's just a gif image, but I can provide the S&T file if you want?

2. Holy phuck, i see that looop, ..that looks awesomely grooovy. Hmmm, might have to swap some things to fit that in. I bet those little towns are something kewl.

3. Hmm, so are you saying take NF-39 through hells canyon, then up to Joseph/Enterprise, then 3 and 129 to Lewiston ...(all this instead of taking 95 north in Idaho?), Hmmm, I did 95 north last year and just OK, could easily change this up.

Wowsa

Hmmm, ...well I've been on some of that but I don't believe 74, 207 or that goat trail through monument (which looks good to me so I cut back that way. Man, lots of state forest roads it seems in that area .....hmmmm.....thanks and I've changed the map ...comments???
I haven't ridden the goat trail through Monument, it might be interesting on the Strom. I have ridden 53, and it's a lot of broken pavement and gravel in the corners of crappy roads. Some nice quiet ranches out there, but not much else. There are better forest roads.

RJI tried to print your map and then mark a couple of alternates for you but got screwed up trying to save it, etc. I guess there is no way to access your map and add alternates in a diff. color?

1. No, it's just a gif image, but I can provide the S&T file if you want?

2. Holy phuck, i see that looop, ..that looks awesomely grooovy. Hmmm, might have to swap some things to fit that in. I bet those little towns are something kewl.

3. Hmm, so are you saying take NF-39 through hells canyon, then up to Joseph/Enterprise, then 3 and 129 to Lewiston ...(all this instead of taking 95 north in Idaho?), Hmmm, I did 95 north last year and just OK, could easily change this up.

Wowsa
Yeah, that little loop is really sweet and there is a very funky bar in Pierce, that is worth a beverage stop, on your right coming from the south.

No comparison on the westerly route rather than 95, up to Lewiston. It is a memorable ride.

If he's not, I am. NF39 is fun, mostly two track, sometimes one track paved forest road. Nearly always open by Memorial day, so should be fine now. And 3/129 is way more fun than 95. WAY more fun. It will be HOT in Hell's Canyon though, be prepared.

Speaking of which, I gots to finish prepping for the 1088 now, so have a great time RJ.

I haven't ridden the goat trail through Monument, it might be interesting on the Strom. I have ridden 53, and it's a lot of broken pavement and gravel in the corners of crappy roads. Some nice quiet ranches out there, but not much else. There are better forest roads.
hmmm, I can kinda ride this area by brail when I get there and do it that way. Open to any suggestions. really appreciate all ..THANKS
GREAT on the Hells Canyon confirmation ...sounds like me kind of road.

****BEST OF FUN SAFETY and SILLINESS at the 1088. I'm passing on it this year ...been in rally mode the last weeks and want to get back to what I enjoy the most (like I think this trip is gunna be!!) Cheers, thanks -and we'll be following your status at the 1088!!!

Yeah, that little loop is really sweet and there is a very funky bar in Pierce, that is worth a beverage stop, on your right coming from the south.
No comparison on the westerly route rather than 95, up to Lewiston. It is a memorable ride.
Groovy, I've been reading up on on the area a bit (clicky) and it looks like a good place to come, remodel -then leave :)

I think getting close with rev03 on the map. thanks much!!!

If you don't mind adding a few miles to get to St. Maries, ID, take I-90 to St. Regis, MT and follow the St. Joe River road over the mountain. The Montana side is a 16 mile ride on gravel, the Idaho side is totally paved all the way to St. Maries. The road on the Idaho side is a lot like Highway 12 over Lolo pass, except the curves are tighter, the straights are shorter, and its very scenic. There is also a gravel road from Avery to Wallace if you want to explore.

If you don't mind adding a few miles to get to St. Maries, ID, take I-90 to St. Regis, MT and follow the St. Joe River road over the mountain. The Montana side is a 16 mile ride on gravel, the Idaho side is totally paved all the way to St. Maries. The road on the Idaho side is a lot like Highway 12 over Lolo pass, except the curves are tighter, the straights are shorter, and its very scenic. There is also a gravel road from Avery to Wallace if you want to explore.
Interesting.I'm not sure I can add that without compromising. Let me ask you this -given the choice:

From St. Maries doing the route you describe ..then going down to Missoula and picking up my route (hence missing south on 3) ...or sticking to my route which is south on 3 but not doing your route?

I'd like to do the zig-zag as you describe ...but time will become a factor ...unless I cut some stuff out.

thanks much ...that looks like a great obscure road!!!

RJ - let me know when you're ready to take really skinny gurlz for a ride. My ATK is about done.. :rolleyes: The dirtier the better!

RJ - let me know when you're ready to take really skinny gurlz for a ride. My ATK is about done.. :rolleyes: The dirtier the better!
Early August is the best for me. we can meet in the middle? (trailering bikes) or make either of our cribs the destination. If you come up here we could do a lot of phuckin' around on the playa. ---That and chasing NV's natural peyote on skinny bikes is always a good combination ...especially with firearms.
mescaline.jpg

I'm not sure I can add that without compromising. Let me ask you this -given the choice:From St. Maries doing the route you describe ..then going down to Missoula and picking up my route (hence missing south on 3) ...or sticking to my route which is south on 3 but not doing your route?
Highway 3 south of St. Maries is a nice ride but not nearly as good as the St. Joe River Road. However, if you skip Highway 3 then you also miss Highway 12 over Lolo Pass. If you have already done Highway 12 over Lolo Pass then you should consider my route, otherwise stick to your route.

Highway 3 south of St. Maries is a nice ride but not nearly as good as the St. Joe River Road. However, if you skip Highway 3 then you also miss Highway 12 over Lolo Pass. If you have already done Highway 12 over Lolo Pass then you should consider my route, otherwise stick to your route.
ya, we're seeing the same thing ....yes, done 12 and it is pretty nice and scenic. I think I may take out some of the OR stuff and see if I can make your great zig-zag work, as I'd like to do it.
***what about south from wallace on NF-456 down to avery then to St. Maries?? would that be a nice compromise ...looks like the 2nd half is the same as the route you suggest without having to slab all the way down to St Regis?? Am I being stupid??

Doing this I miss hwy3 between 90 and St. maries ...am I missing something I'll regret?? or should I do an out/back through that section once I get to St. Maries??

EDIT: NEVER MIND --Me will make your idea work., this is exactly the kind of roads I was hoping to find.

Rather than hoggin' up the bandwidth here ...can I call you sometime (tomorrow?) and ask some questions ..you seem to know this place pretty well. if so, please send me a number and time to call.

renjohn2007 @ goraiders.org (or a pm is fine too) thanks much.

There is a paved forest service road from Heppner to Ukiah, and another from Ukiah to Sumpter. Much better than the highway around it. Well paved, no traffic, no enforcement (or at least I have never seen any on it yet). Youmay want to consider. Everything from tight twisties to awesome sweepers. Lots of elevation changes. Just need to do a raod check of the Umatila National Forest to see conditions, could still have snow issues over the roadway.

Watch out for the enforcement as you get around Enterprise...if you stop for fuel, don't be surprised if the local LEO is running your plate as you put your kick stand down. Last time through a couple of years ago, the local LEO's radar was always on, buy the OSP had K band.