ADVICE, MENTORING with IDAHO route planning (please)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is a paved forest service road from Heppner to Ukiah, and another from Ukiah to Sumpter. Much better than the highway around it. Well paved, no traffic, no enforcement (or at least I have never seen any on it yet). Youmay want to consider. Everything from tight twisties to awesome sweepers. Lots of elevation changes. Just need to do a raod check of the Umatila National Forest to see conditions, could still have snow issues over the roadway.
Watch out for the enforcement as you get around Enterprise...if you stop for fuel, don't be surprised if the local LEO is running your plate as you put your kick stand down. Last time through a couple of years ago, the local LEO's radar was always on, buy the OSP had K band.
Thanks much. I've tapered off on my OR miles to allow more time to go through Avery etc so won't be doing Ukiah etc. -but will at another time and will make note!...Big thanks on Enterprise, that is exactly the kind of stuff this hick needs to know about. I'm trying to keep my daily mileage around 500+/- so that I'll have time to see things and not push too hard. I'd sure like to avoid drawing attention from the LEO's out to ruin my fun. Running plates while stopping for fuel?? ....what a bunch of bass turds.

Last edited by a moderator:
John, I just now saw this post, hope you see it before you leave. Take heed of the LEO presense in the Enterprise/Joseph area. And watch for forest rats. Check out Terminal Gravity Brewing while in Enterprise, and do make the short ride from Enterprise to Joseph, and then go up to Wallowa Lake for the view. If you have time do the tram to the top from the lake. And say hey to my mom & stepdad when you're in Joseph. :D

On our way home from the Utah 1088 on Monday we also saw unmarked, black LEO cruisers with radar on in Canyon City, just before John Day. And there's a little shoulder gravel project going on just south of there on the summit between Seneca and Canyon City. I asked the old guy with the stop sign if we could go to the front of the line ahead of the RV's, and he just looked at me like I was from another planet. I explained it's common practice elsewhere, and it pretty much sucked to eat dust from the other vehicles, but he said they didn't have any dust. Don't believe him, there was plenty.

Sorry I'll miss you when I'm in your neighborhood, but you'll have a great ride, too.

Last edited by a moderator: