Advice wanted on 2nd bike

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goodman4

Pressing on
Reaction score
I just sold my VTX1300 today. I hadn't been trying too hard to sell it but I only rode it the last couple years about once every other month since I always ride my 07 FJR. I have been saving up for a second bike and now I need to decide which way to go.

I have thought about upgrading the FJR, but I think that would not be the best choice because my 07 is in great shape and I love riding it. I'd rather have some variety.

I can't decide what my goals are with a 2nd bike, so I'm pretty sure it will end up being a learning exercise. I stumbled onto the FJR by accident when I bought it two years ago. I loved the VTX but wanted to get more distance as the wife and I were taking longer trips. We rode an FJR that a guy listed locally and she pretty much bought it for me for my birthday. I had a KZ1000 during most of the 90's so I was familiar with reasonably fast bikes but I had forgotten how fun they are. And the FJR would have blown the Kawi away.

Anyway, I know I don't want another cruiser or I would have kept the VTX. I don't know whether I want to get a used GoldWing or a sportbike. I don't need a lot of specific advice on the wing, cause I know enough about them and looked at them pretty hard last year. The real benefit would be more comfort for her and the added interstate miles we could get above what we are comfortable with on the FJR. We do pretty good up to about 1200 miles and have a great time at that. But we would like to ride to Montana and other distant spots that would take more interstate riding instead of just going to great twisty spots. So the FJR would become my sportbike and the GoldWing would be for trips.

I just kind of feel like the wing is only a 20% comfort step up and I'm not sure that I want to spend that much money to have it sit in the garage when I'll be riding the FJR most of the time. It's still on the table.

So I'm wondering whether a 50 year old should consider a sportbike instead. I like riding semi-agressively when the wife's not with me. I have a lot of years riding experience though I still consider myself intermediate at best. I took the experienced rider course last year with some friends and learned how bad I am at looking through the turn. Then I did the Lee Parks course on my FJR and the corners really started opening up for me. I ended up doing a track day on the FJR at Barber last October and it was exhilarating. But I really cannot afford to hurt myself badly on a motorcyle, so I've got to be smart and know my limits and keep the odds ever in my favor.

So the more important question, with these factors and my 5'10" height, what sportbikes should I consider, if I do consider it? I'm fairly ignorant as to most styles and models. My back is still pretty good, but I get some wrist pain on the FJR, so that's a factor. I'm partial to Yamaha, but will consider anything dependable. I don't need or want stupid fast, but I like accelerating hard. I want nimble handling above distance, but it would be a plus to be able to ride 200 miles to the twisties instead of trailering. I'm far from being a mechanic and only do routine maintenance myself, so I wouldn't do well with a project bike.

Comments appreciated,

Paul

I am going the other way with the next bike I buy. Inexpensive dual sport (KLR 650) so I can ride the many roads that are only marginally accessible with the FJR. A sport bike would be a lot of fun but wouldn't get ridden much by me. I rarely ride with a passenger so the rolling barcalounger is not likely in my near future.

I guess you will have to answer the question of what type of additional riding do you want to do? If its touring with the significant other, the 'Wing is your best bet but if you want to be the canyon carving hooligan, look for a liter sportbike. If off the beaten path appeals then you could be looking at anything from a pure dirtbike to a sophisticated dual-sport like the Tenere.

Good luck and happy shopping!

Last edited by a moderator:
...So the more important question, with these factors...what sportbikes should I consider...My back is still pretty good...I'm partial to Yamaha...I like accelerating hard. I want nimble handling above distance, but it would be a plus to be able to ride 200 miles to the twisties...
Test ride the new Yamaha FZ-09. Just for some big giggles, test ride a V-Max. Done.

Being fortunate enough to currently have 3 bikes in my own stable I guess like others have stated you have to consider your intentions. I ride the FJR 99% of the time and the other 2 bikes sit anyways. I kind of enjoy owning a vintage bike just for putting around and taking to shows. I've had the Buell since it was new and would feel somehow disloyal to part with it. That being said, if I were looking to add another piece to the collection, I'd seriously consider a dual sport or adventure type bike.Sportbikes are huge fun and I've ridden a fair number of them but if you don't live close enough to a track to really take advantage of their performance evntually you find yourself taking bigger and bigger risks on the street.

Face it, at our ages we don't heal as fast as we once did. The power and performance of some of these new machines command serious respect. My age may have gone up but my maturity level still hasn't caught up to it. I rode an R-1 a year or so ago and they inspire you to act like an idiot. DAMHIK. I find myself more now looking at fire roads and unpaved roads and consider some of the places I wouldn't really want to tke the FJR. Only you know what your desires are.

I apologize if my answer to your question is vague, I guess I just want to help you think through your decision and try to find what will make you the happiest.

As a former Goldwing owner, you can make that 900 lb. rig into a capable sport tourer that won't scrape the pegs on aggressive twisties, just be mindful of the weight. Buy any good used one back as far as 2001 (I saw a good electric blue one the other day for $7900) and spend money on it. It has a mushy suspension, so new fork springs at minimum with plenty of other damping options available. Definitely a new rear shock (I'd go Traxxion with adjustable ride height), and now it will feel like a new sport tourer. Put a 70 series rear tire on it which will raise ground clearance a bit, and you're good to go..... a new seat someday, with a rear backrest that is more vertical for mama. You now have a very capable 900 lb sport tourer. GL's are perfect for a car tire on the rear also. Goldwings are made for getting from A to B, definitely a good long distance bike. I'd still stay off interstates.............

The FJR is your almost perfect sport bike. You need more power than that? Not me, still the most fun I've had. Keep that in the stable, you'll ride it a lot...... I'm just saying though, with two sport tourers in the stable, one will be ridden a lot more than the other........ and you'll then have the dilemma of getting rid of one unless money is no object.

True sport bikes.... well, you're not going to ride it very far really, and up here, insurance will kill you...... to me, good for canyon carving for a day and you'll want to get home. Fun at first, but it will sit more. If you want fun, look at an 800 VFR...... fun and a little tamer, half-assed comfy with a few mods.

I think perhaps you should look at an adventure bike if you've got lots of back roads around........... a different type of bike which you might tend to ride more when mama's not going to be with you. It's a lot tamer than a sport bike, different for sure and perhaps a new interest for you.........

The other thing is just take your time deciding..... something will speak to you eventually. 1200 miles will get you near enough to any coast, any terrain...... good spot to be in KY.

As for your sore wrist, read up on how to do the throttle spring unwind......... '06-'07 throttle effort is ridiculous.

Best of luck in your choice.

I didn't catch the wrist pain comment my first read through. Have you done any type of handlebar risers? I put 1" bar risers on my '07 and it helped tremendously. I bought some Ebay knockoffs and they work fine. Coupled with a set of Manic Salamander heavy bar end weights and TBS and mine became a much better ride. I'm on an '07 same as you and haven't done the throttle spring unwind. It is pretty stiff but I figure in time the spring will weaken.

dual sport - I had an FJR and my KTM 690 Enduro R - great combo. Now I have a Super Tenere and my KTM - better combo (for me). But as I read above, ride what catches your eye, then make a call - Triumph Bonneville, Royal Enfield, Hayabusa, ZX14, VMAX, a Ducati, a KLR - they all have something to offer, and by test riding a wide range of bikes, you'll know what fits and what engages you. :)

Everything you mention is strictly about riding on pavement, so I am going to guess that you do not have much desire to ride a dual sport or adventure bike. And you mention that you get wrist pain from the relatively upright position of the FJR, so that tells me you probably would not be real happy with a true sport bike.

Instead of dropping a giant chunk of your nest egg on an interstate cruising machine like a Gold Wing, why not explore making some incremental improvements in your wife and your comfort on the FJR you already own? For instance, do you already have bar risers to help address the wrist pain? How about a nice set of his and hers custom aftermarket seats?

As for an alternate bike, if I were in your situation I'd look closely at some of the lighter weight, naked (or nearly naked) hooligan bikes for your shorter solo day rides and track days, like the FZ-09 mentioned by ionbeam or maybe one of the European equivalents like the Aprilia Dorsodoro or Ducati Hyperstrada or Hypermotard. You won't need all the tupperware since it'll probably only get used on sunny days, and being out in the wind can be a great thing in the heat of the summer months. These bikes all tend to have pretty upright ergos, and having a lightweight bike to toss around in the corners would be lots of fun. You don't have to ride real fast on these bikes to have fun, but they are going to be quick, especially in the corners.

The FZ-09 is clearly the price leader if you are thinking of buying new, but the Italian bikes can usually be found in good shape for a decent price a few years old. They seldom accumulate miles like an FJR does, so finding a low miler is seldom a big problem.

Have a 2006 wingabago and 2013 fjr. Enjoy both, there is no other passenger seat IMO that matches the heated rear on the wing, wife loves it. Fjr is outstanding single up curves, sweepers and a long way in a hurry. For me twisties are overrated and to much like work at my point in life. I ride roads, I do not attack them like my friend and his ninja does, but I manage to keep him in sight, usually, (cause he is getting older also). Person needs to know themselves and not try and keep up with the Joneses.

I agree with the question previously about needing something "sportier". Sounds like you haven't decided yet what the bike should be able to do...if I read correctly, you mentioned wanting something that could comfortably do longer rides than the FJR can and are also interested in more sportier riding?

If you like the FJR, you can add farkles to make it more comfortable for across the country rides, upgrade the suspension to make it more supportive for 2up riding and more capable on twisties as a sporty bike. Farkles would be much less costly than a new bike.

If you want something to ride 1up that is a blast, light weight, huge torque and made by mama, the FZ09 is a must see. I got to demo one with Scooter down at Daytona Bike Week two days ago. It's three drive modes do an excellent job changing the bike from a tame cat to an aggressive lioness.

...So the more important question, with these factors...what sportbikes should I consider...My back is still pretty good...I'm partial to Yamaha...I like accelerating hard. I want nimble handling above distance, but it would be a plus to be able to ride 200 miles to the twisties...
Test ride the new Yamaha FZ-09. Just for some big giggles, test ride a V-Max. Done.
Yup. Good answer.

I like proper upright seating and good suspension for the local back roads which can be a bit rough at times. My KTM 990 Supermoto is a blast to ride and terrorize the locals.

I would think a used v strom may be worth looking into. I had an 08 FZ1 that was fast and fun to ride. More upright than the sportbike. Lots of good deals on used bikes, buy one and if you don't like it sell it with out taking the big hit when selling a new bike.

PS. The Wing is 53% more comfy than a FJR

My "second bike" is a 2013 Vstrom 650 and I'm loving it! I can definitely see it becoming my primary steed for hot weather and shorter weekend trips. It's got v twin power that was always sorely lacking with any of my KLR's and light touring capability. Plus it can be farkled to the moon and back just like my KLR's and of course the "main" steed the '03 FJR.

Thanks for the great advice. I hesitated to ask such an unfocused question but you guys have risen to the challenge.

Fred, on adjusting the FJR for comfort, I have done the most common mods and it has helped a lot. I've got risers, RDL seats and have done the throttle spring unwind. I've improved the suspension a lot thanks to your advice last year, and I could spend the VTX money upgrading the rear suspension and improve things a lot, I know. But if I get a sport bike, I would want to do a couple more track days. I don't think I'll take the FJR to the track again even though it performed great. I might, but I don't think so.

The adventure / dual-sport option was on my radar last year. I grew up on a trail bike so that would be fun. The plate in my leg is from a dirt bike 5 years ago so I know that isn't all that safe an option either, though.

I went to our local Polaris/Yamaha dealer today and he had two 2012 FZ1's and an FZ6. He told me I'd never be satisfied with the smaller FZ6. I don't know. I wonder if it would give me the cornering fun but wouldn't be screaming in my ear to always go faster like the FJR already does.

I kind of like the idea of a 3cylinder in the FZ09. How will that compare to the FZ1? Will I experience enough difference from the FJR to an FZ1? They seem very similar without the bags in some ways but different in others.

I liked the idea of a VFR 800 too. Is that pretty upright? Are any bikes better for short legs when stopped? I don't want a sport bike I'm on my toes with.

PS: I love the 53% comment on the comfort of the Wing. I'm still thinking about that too.

The FZ09 is upright and very different than the FZ1 and FJR. It also has a lower seat hight so I can flat foot with my 30" inseam.

Have fun figuring out what you want and test riding all the possible bikes!

My second bike used to be a 2009 Harley Ultra Classic ABS. Lots of Torque and very comfortable BUT very, very heavy and zero acceleration over 70mph. I found it was just too much work...i wanted something lighter. I ended up with a practically brand new 650 Versys...light, peppy and can handle dirt roads and light gravel..fun for day trips and shorter distance weekends mostly, but I am thinking of taking it out to CFR this summer. If I could pick a bike in between the Versys and the FJR it would probably be the Kawasaki Ninja 1000ABS...light and I've heard that engine has got a lot of get up and go! My overall point is that the FJR is as heavy a bike as I would consider at this stage in my life...first consideration in a second bike is weight.

I'm another vote for the FZ1, I sorely miss mine and it is in no way too similar to the FJR. I think the FZ09 in a promising bike but I like the wind protection and added power of the FZ1. As good as the FZ09 is reported to be the FZ1 suspension is hands down much better and more adjustable. When the new wears off of my old Ducati Superbike (too slow) I will be replacing it with another FZ1.

......... why not explore making some incremental improvements in your wife .......
I am most interested in this. Can suspension improvements be made? Added padding in the seat?

Just curious is all.

But if I could have another bike, it would be the KTM Super Duke 1290R. Now that bike speaks to me......like the grim reaper.