Advice wanted on 2nd bike

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you've never owned a GL, you can't knock it...... it's a very capable sport tourer with a couple of mods (to get a bit of ground clearance). Had a great time with mine. Big and heavy, yep, but can be lots of fun.

Speaking ONLY for myself, one of these will be in my garage one day.....

2012-1199-Panigale-S-.gif.jpg

.....as soon as I find a buyer for MissusHowie's kidneys and lungs! :p :p :p

Please don't tell my FJR, but if I really wanted variety, I'd get rid of her and go to the FZ09 or FZ1 alongside the wing.
Now see, that makes more sense to me than having an FJR and a Wing as your only two bikes. I just think those bikes are too redundant. I guess if you have plans to do a long 2-up superslab tour of the US, the wing might be the weapon of choice. For pretty much anything else I;d just rather have an FJR and something completely different for the second bike.

That's the way it is for me. If it's a solo ride I go with the FJR because it's all set up for me and I can leave the fuel cell on all the time. If it's the two of us them the Wing is the one. In a more perfect world not controlled by money and space then a person needs at least 6 bikes.

Sorry for the delay on this. I had trouble with IE letting me post pics, but found it works fine with Firefox.

Just as I got to see the bike it started snowing. It was 34 degrees, but was still sticking to the side roads. Pittsburgh hills were a bit interesting for a test ride introduction to my new bike. Here's what it looked like as I came out of the title place:

SnowinBridgeville.jpg

Rode south and the snow stopped as I crossed in WV. Within another hour it was 60. Had a good ride through WV on 79 but got tired of the slab. Hwy 4 was ok at first, but near Maysel it was torn up terribly. Took 36 back N the Interstate and that was a great road. It is surprising how much the wing handles like the FJR on the twisties. I still feel kind of like I'm almost in a car, though. Took the side roads from Huntington home for a total of 770 miles as an introductory ride. I've done part of 100 (Fountain Run) before but never all the way from near Burkesville, KY. That's a really nice road.

Here's my wing now:

IMG_5708_edited-1.jpg

I feel really good about the purchase. This won't be my favorite bike, but it will be my wife's favorite and still a lot of fun for me on our trips, too. Thanks again for all the advice.

another vote for the Speed Triple.

Comfortible enough for commuting, they sound incredible, they come standard with good suspension and just about the most fun you can have on two wheels ( on the street anyways)

the guy that I bought my S3 from replaced it with a Tuono and he says that he likes the Tuono just fine but there's something about the S3 that he says is essentually irreplaceable

.....and did I mention the sound?