Advice

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MOTORCOP20

Reaction score
2018 matte blue FJR: I had the 2nd gear recall repair done right before I bought the bike at dealership A. I had Recall 2 done at dealership B. While riding I had an issue when I have it throttle the rpm’s would rise but no power went to the rear wheel. After a few month I finally had time to bring it back to dealership B to have them look at it. They diagnosed the issue just as described and were able to duplicate what I was describing. So they tore into it and discovered Dealership A put the clutch plates on wrong after Recall 1. Dealership B says Yamaha won’t cover the issue. I called Dealership A and told them about Dealership B findings and of course Dealership A stands by their technician.
Dealership B wants $1000 to fix the clutch

What’s my next step?

Write a check and chalk it up to experience. You can continue to try to get dealership A to pony up but if they choose not to then you're SOL. You'll spend more trying to get less. File a complaint at Yamaha USA but that won't get your bike fixed or your money reimbursed. Dog Dealership A on ratings, be sure to comment about how the work and the management sucks. If they're a member of the BBB file a complaint there too. But the the fact is you're out $1K if you want your bike fixed.

Motorcop,

Most states have a Small Claims Court. The limit may be around US$ 1000, but that varies. I would get some free (local) legal advice, and see if there are options for you. In many Small Claims Courts, nobody can have an attorney at all, and in any court, you can simply represent yourself. Document everything first, of course. If the other side does not show up to court, or sends a lawyer where the parties can not have any lawyers (by local statutes), then hey, YOU WON, and you can write your own amount on the settlement. Do not expect damages for "pain and suffering," or punitive damages, but the Court will usually make you whole again. That can include your lost wages, if you took time off from work, but check on that part locally.

I'd still give Dealership A one last chance to set things right, before going to court, but that's just me. "See you in court" is your best parting shot. If you are talking from good knowledge and confidence, they may decide right then, to take better care of their customers.

The BBB is a bad joke. Any creep-show operation that pays money into the BBB has the best possible BBB rating, no matter what they do wrong, and all complaints against a paying "member" will get lost, not resolved. Internet ratings may be effective, but don't make personal or libelous attacks.

All IMHO, of course. Check locally, because I do not live there.

Last edited:
Unless they REALLY screwed up the assembly, chances are that only the friction disks and clutch cover gasket need to be replaced - parts cost under $200. Steel clutch plates are likely OK - may need to be scrubbed with Scotchbrite pads and some solvent to clean them up. Replacement is needed if they are burnt, warped or below thickness spec. Not too difficult to do if you don't get satisfaction from Dealer A.

I would get the necessary parts and do it myself and make sure to leave appropriate reviews for Dealer A to make it sting a bit. (Clutch cover gasket might be reusable and I would have a look at the condition of all the friction disks - might only be a couple of bad ones.) Certainly shouldn't cost anywhere near $1000 to do it yourself unless there is significant concurrent damage.

Your next step is to write a thread title with some information in it. At least with the word "clutch" in it.

I have found that reporting companies to the attorney general in the state where they do business is sometimes more effective than reporting them to the BBB. It doesn't matter if they are a member of the BBB they will still be rated poorly.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, some Yamaha Dealer's mechanics are just cowboys.

In Europe I had multiple problem with the work for the 2nd gear recall. The garage fixed one of the problems but refuse to fix the other. I went to Yamaha France and they sent an "investigator" to check the bike out - waste of time. He said that the vibration was "within limits". I even wrote to the CEO of Yamaha Japan - another waste of time. They never replied to my letters. Soured my relationship with Yamaha and will probably never buy anything from them ever again.

I've had a number of problems with Main Dealers: Honda in the UK (in France they are excellent), Mercedes (yep, couldn't fix an HID headlight) and Yamaha in France and now will usually avoid Main Dealers like the plague unless I have no option.

You need to make sure that the garage gets a bad review and rating in as many places as possible (don't forget Google Maps) and then find a good independent mechanic to look after the bike or learn to do it yourself.

Fix it yourself. Shouldn't be that hard. Max $200 in parts I bet. How many miles since dealership A screwed it up. I would keep on trying with those guys to work something else.

Thanks for all the response. Dealership A, immediately got defensive and said my mechanic has over 30 years experience that did that job. So yeah I don’t have much confidence in Dealer A taking the hit.
Still waiting to hear back after they both speak with each other.

I’ll keep ya posted

I’m SOL! Dealership A refused any accountability and Dealership B tried their best. I’m out the cost of the repair.

I’m SOL! Dealership A refused any accountability and Dealership B tried their best. I’m out the cost of the repair.
Take it apart and see exactly what is needed in terms of parts. Might be as little as a couple of friction disks. Even a full set of friction disks and a clutch cover gasket should only run a couple hundred dollars. Some or all of the steel disks MIGHT need replacement but more likely they are OK. Clean them up and check them for evidence of overheating, warpage or worn below thickness spec.

Not that difficult to do...

Motorcop,

Since dealership B is already inside the bike, and looking at the clutch plates, have them complete the job, and pay them for their good work and time. At this point Dealership B is your friend, and deserves your support.

Good luck with resolving the dispute with Dealership A. You have some good advice from the members here, let us know how it turns out.

Brodie
🙂

Fix it yourself. Shouldn't be that hard. Max $200 in parts I bet. How many miles since dealership A screwed it up. I would keep on trying with those guys to work something else.
This. It is a simple job. Pull it apart, assess what you need and be done with it.