AE headlight bulb replacement?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimNtexas

Reaction score
After 17100 miles my 2008 AE has a burned out headlight bulb. According to the owner's manual headlight bulbs in the AE are not user serviceable.

Given that I have large, manly, hands, and am not particularly flexible, just how hard is it for an ordinary rider to change out the bulbs on FJR AE?

I'm not comfortable with changing bulbs 'by feel'.

Note: I have searched the forum, and while there are references to this subject, I couldn't find anything really specific about bulb changes on the AE.

TIA.

It is a fundamenal pain in the ASS. But if you're the least bit mechanical you can do it without removing anything. You *might* need to borrow some small hands.

I guess it would also depend on how much a dealer would charge you to do this. Personally, I'd probalby pay $50 but I wouldn't pay $100.

The other option is to pull the whole nose off, then it's a piece of cake. No small hands required but time/patience and a lot more work is involved.

Google for a technical service bulletin for the 2006 year dash cluster replacement, it's a step by step for pulling the nose.

-MD

The only procedure difference between a Gen I and Gen II is the Gen II says to remove the dash panel. Not owning one I dunno about that part, but the rest is the same.

Difficulty rating: 2 of 5
bandaidsm.jpg
bandaidsm.jpg
bandaidclr.jpg
bandaidclr.jpg
bandaidclr.jpg

Unplug the connector from the bulb, noting the orientation of the plug.

Pull off the rubber cover, it's not hooked or locked on in any fashion, just give it a tug.

There is a wire retainer that needs to be unhooked on one side and it will swing out of the way. HINT: Using a mechanics mirror or any other small mirror take a look at the headlight and size up the situation, it should give you a good view that you may not otherwise be able to get. Give it a good study, if you can see the wire retainer first this will be much easier to do.

Remove the bulb.

Being *very* careful not to touch the glass envelope install the new bulb. HINT: Look in the headlight bucket when you install the bulb, it will make it much easier to see what is going on and get the bulb positioned correctly. Remember to orient the bulb the same way as the connector was oriented.

This is the hard part for me, swing the wire retainer over the bulb base while not snagging any stray wire bundles and hook it. Use the mirror again if needed.

Push the rubber cover back over the bulb and housing. HINT: Spritz the rubber cover around the center hole and outside ring with a silicon spray and it will go on slicker 'n snot on a brass door knob much easier.

Plug in the connector.

(Gen II, replace the dash panel.)

Open a beverage of you choice and celebrate a job well done.

HINT: The headlights burn out within hours of each other, buy two and replace them both at the same time. HINT II: In ~8k miles pull out one of the perfectly good headlights and replace it. Wrap up the removed but still good bulb and put it someplace like the tail under the back seat or tool tray. Now, when one headlight burns out after 800 hours the other one will remain good and get you home from any trip you may be on.

Last edited by a moderator:
The ease of bulb replacement is inversely proportional to the size (and dexterity) of your hands. My hands were cloned from a gorilla and as such, I lost some skin in the process. Mission accomplished with minor battle scars. My 2007 OEM bulbs lasted ~65,000 miles. As suggested, I replaced both.

While it appears possible to do without removing the dash panels, I found it necessary in order to get my hand in that tight space. Even with the panels removed, the right side was a royal PITA! The back of my hand was black and blue when I was finished.

I found the most difficult part was removing the boot on the right side. The wiring harness was in the way and there was very little slack to move it.

The job is very doable with a little patience. Good luck.

The first time I replaced my bulbs my hands got buffed up in a number of places. Now that my fingers know what they are doing I don't really loose skin anymore. You will be surprised at what a dirty job this is. I've got some really thin but durable deer skin gloves that I wear for jobs like this. The gloves are thin enough that I still have good feel but also provides good protection. Anything that aids in thinning the deer herds can't be bad.

I do not think the AE will differ. I put in HID's with micro ballasts so I had to remove the entire front. As I look back, the job sucked time up like you would not believe. Reserve an afternoon for the job cuz there will be no sneeq'n the hand up in if it is as big as you say it is. Relax n do it with your favorite cold one. Good luck.

Thanks guys, but I'm asking specifically about the AE.

The AE is different wrt to headlights because there is a computer box of some kind right behind the bulbs. That's why the ordinary FJR user manual describes how the user can replace the headlights, while the Advanced Edition says to take it to the dealer.

I'm not sure that the Gen1 or Gen2 ordinary procedures are the same.

The AE is different wrt to headlights because there is a computer box of some kind right behind the bulbs. That's why the ordinary FJR user manual describes how the user can replace the headlights, while the Advanced Edition says to take it to the dealer.

Don't know about your '08' but neither my '06 nor my '10 are different from standard behind the headlights.

The YCC-S computer is under the rider's seat.

Yamaha have moved odd relays around between years, but AFAIAA nothing significant.

Changed my '10 headlamp, was going to do it on the road. Couldn't see what I was doing, so waited a few days until I'd returned home, relying on the one good one.

Scraped lots off my hand, even after removing the panels. Just try not to bleed over the electrics, blood is salty and corrosive.

Top_Speed is an AE owner and has done work to his headlights, see if he can clarify his answer for you 'cause he has been there.

I have an 06AE and put a Kisan headlight modulator on it about three years ago, and I don't recall there being anything in the way at that time. I did have to get to the back side of the headlamps to install the modulator, and I didn't have to remove anything. I did, however, have to donate some skin...

The pictures will be very helpful, if I can get that good a view even my clumsy fingers should be able to change a light bulb.. I guess I'd better figure on removing most of the plastic. Sigh.

PS: Cool seeing a Raspberry Pie being used to serve up the pictures!

First time I changed mine I was in a parking lot in Maine and was fortunate enough to have Ionbeam standing right next to me, giving step-by-step instructions. Remembering the smile on his face the entire time, I think he throughly enjoyed watching a fellow rider experience this rite of passage.
smile.png

I took pics of the whole process (and yes it's on my AE) but I don't know where I stored them? (yet).

TBH, I still don't think it's any different there than with the A models. There was no box or sorts in back of the capsule socket. Like further back mounted on the brace is the turn signal relay box (favors the right side) but there is a gap between that rail and the lights that I wouldn't think your talking about that section/area.

My ballasts got mounted on the plastic shelf, if you go in from the front just under the headlight cowling, fold your hands (fingers) around the lower shroud, you will feel a 1-1/2 gap. That's the "shelf" for my micro ballasts.

But your not installing anything there if your staying halogen. If you "had" small hands you could of course creep up in there I imagine and get the rubber boot off, the clip and then the bulb out. That's doing it blind and w very small hands. What I would recommend is removing the windshield, mirrors, top to side plastics ( I think they were named plastics A&B? ) unscrew what you can to "dip" the cowling (front headpiece) down towards the front fender. This will give you the visual to preform the task, you still will be sneaking your hand up in but with a bit more room and as mentioned you can see the process. I would also unscrew the headlight adjustments cable connector at the lower connection (or you will be restricted by this Gen2 mod). The 2 hidden or tricky screws are way under close to the steering pivot and have a rubber bushing between. Get a good flashlight, lay down and look up to the frame where it meets the underside of the headpiece. All other screws are out in the open pretty much.

If I find my pics?... or in the meantime feel free to ask me (or us) anything to help ya out on this crappy (and should be way more easily serviceable) task.

First time I changed mine I was in a parking lot in Maine and was fortunate enough to have Ionbeam standing right next to me...I think he throughly enjoyed watching a fellow rider experience this rite of passage
I enjoyed standing there drinking all your beer. Thanks!

First time I changed mine I was in a parking lot in Maine and was fortunate enough to have Ionbeam standing right next to me...I think he throughly enjoyed watching a fellow rider experience this rite of passage
I enjoyed standing there drinking all your beer. Thanks!
I knew u were smart Alan!

Well also when I was making your name tag out at one of the meets last year and you gave me the "how I got the Ion" name....

I was like, this guy is a mad scientist! I love it!

Cheers w more free beers
smile.png

I'm was just curious why when one goes out, the other follows?