AE owners - Factory heated grips evaluation

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NovaFlyer

Reaction score
Hi Folks.

Well Mrs Flyer is seriously checking out the 07 Feejr and I noticed the Canadian A model units have factory heated gear on them. :clapping:

Was wondering how you AE riders liked the factory gear? Do you need heated gloves when it gets frosty? The reason I ask is Mrs Flyer is prone to cold hands and I am wondering if I need to get her heated gloves on top of the grips. Anyone have grip puppies over top?

Appreciate the help folks.

Novaflyer

--K

Last edited by a moderator:
I like my heated grips. They get plenty warm, to the point that I don't actually even turn them up past half way. Have managed to keep warm with regular riding gloves and the heated grips down to about 36F. That isn't a super long trip though. Haven't tried anything over the stock grips, but have read elsewhere that it works fine.

Just my two cents worth,

Bryan

They work great for me. I have grip puppies over mine and they still get very warm. I don't usually turn them up past half way.

Hi Folks.
Well Mrs Flyer is seriously checking out the 07 Feejr and I noticed the Canadian A model units have factory heated gear on them. :clapping:

Was wondering how you AE riders liked the factory gear? Do you need heated gloves when it gets frosty? The reason I ask is Mrs Flyer is prone to cold hands and I am wondering if I need to get her heated gloves on top of the grips. Anyone have grip puppies over top?

Appreciate the help folks.

Novaflyer

--K

Dunno where you guys are riding, how cold it is, or what kind of gloves you are wearing.

Let me say that the heated grips on my AE are just "OK". Mechanically, the contols and the grips are great. But I put heated grips on my '04 and the heat output that the OEMs have is pitiful in comparison. A couple of you guys state that you are riding with the control at about half. I leave mine on full. They get fairly warm, but nothing compared to the aftermarket setup. So regrettably, I'm a little biased by what I previously had. When I need the heat the most, I don't seem to get as much heat as I need on my '06.

NowI have Widder gloves and VStrom hand guards to suppliment the mediocre heated AE grips.

Having said that, I'd definitely get heated grips. However, if you are handy, the aftermarket heated grips put out more heat and are a lot cheaper.

Wow FJRocket, I wonder if your grips are giving you the full output. Mine will get down right uncomfortable to the hands if turned up, and that is with gloves on. Even in 36 degrees, I was turning mine down as soon as I got on the highway and up to speed.

You are right about the hand guards, they would help no matter what the grips were doing. I can have the heat at my tolerance limit and the other side of my hand still gets chilled. Still thinking about the guards for my bike.

Bryan

Wow FJRocket, I wonder if your grips are giving you the full output. Mine will get down right uncomfortable to the hands if turned up, and that is with gloves on. Even in 36 degrees, I was turning mine down as soon as I got on the highway and up to speed.
You are right about the hand guards, they would help no matter what the grips were doing. I can have the heat at my tolerance limit and the other side of my hand still gets chilled. Still thinking about the guards for my bike.

Bryan
My '04 heaters would get the gel grips tacky, they got so hot.

I've wondered if my OEM grips weren't defective. What I ASSUMED was that Yamaha kept them detuned for liability reasons. I can't grab the '04 aftermarket grips with a bare hand for very long when turned up full bore. The AE grips just seem hot to the bare hand, and on the "just warm" side of hot (in comarison). I know it's very subjective. I was wondering if Yamaha hadn't hooked the heaters up "in half", and could be hacked to make them hotter. The aftermarket grips can be set up a couple different ways depending on how much heat and amperage you want to draw.

One of these days I hope to check out another AE or Yamaha factory heated grip set and see how mine compare.

Regardless, they ARE nice to have, no matter how you slice it.

Nova, I rode the old girl until late November, and with lined leather gloves, never experienced cold hands. I have foam grips over the stock ones, and the heat came through just fine. Once I ran them at max when starting a run, but within 10-15 minutes, dialed them back to about 1/2. I run a CalSci windshield, and I believe it diverts wind away from your hands better than the stock one. There, a Nova Scotia comparo.

Stock grips were way to small and hard for me.

Replaced them with the BMW Sports and aftermarket heat elements.

A lot of work, but way worth it to me. :thumbsup: