AE Shift code error SH__22

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big-B

Reaction score
Getting a shift code error SH__22 when trying to start my bike. SH__22 says that the angle set sensor is bad. Has anybody else had the same error code and what was done to resolve it?

I had the bike in for service and when I went to pick it up it would not start. Makes me think there is a loose connection that did not get plugged in completely rather than a failed switch they have focused in on at the dealer.

Appreciate any insight if I can avoid a $300+ repair.

Thanks,

Brian

I'd be concerned if it was working fine when you dropped it off. Likely it could just be a sensor not plugged in for sure.

That error means one of three things looking at my service manual here.

1. Connections, wire harness MCU motor control unit coupler or foot shift switch coupler (make sure they are plugged in and not damaged)

2. Open or short circuit in teh wire harness and /or sub-lead 2.

3. Defective Foot Switch.

There's some troubleshooting info on the foot switch over on my SH__46 error page.

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/154126-dreaded-sh-46-error/

What was the bike in the shop for?

Let me know if you need any further assistance.

SH__22: Output signal of foot shift switch is abnormal

There is a procedure describing how to set the switch output voltage in the link in the above post. If the switch worked when you took it to the dealer and it does not work now I would suspect they damaged it. IF you turn the "shift lever pivot bolt" for any reason then the switch is probably damaged.. Did they take off the "Left Footrest Assembly" for any reason or work around that area. You might get lucky and adjust the switch to the correct output voltage, but if someone turned the shift lever pivot bolt and the switch rotated it is probably toast.

Don't ask me how I know.

...I had the bike in for service and when I went to pick it up it would not start....
Assuming it was running when you took it in, surely it's up to the dealer to fix whatever he broke?

A little more info:

SH__22_1.jpg

SH__22_2.jpg

It does say it should be able to start and change gear, but I've known these "able" and "unable" statements to be wrong with other fault codes.

Last edited by a moderator:
A word of caution. The FOOT SHIFT SWITCH can test OK using the procedure outlined in the FSM on page 8-235, however if the wiper arm is damaged by excessive rotation the FOOT SHIFT SWITCH cannot be set properly.

Thanks for all the input!! Was anybody taht ha dthe SH__22 able to resolve the issue by cleaning anythign up or did you end up just replacign the switch?

I'd be concerned if it was working fine when you dropped it off. Likely it could just be a sensor not plugged in for sure.

There's some troubleshooting info on the foot switch over on my SH__46 error page.

Thanks for the detail. I had looked at that thread but didn't see all the testing detail you had gone through. Closed it since didn't seem like the same problem.

It was in for a tune up and Valve Adjustment.

There is a procedure describing how to set the switch output voltage in the link in the above post. If the switch worked when you took it to the dealer and it does not work now I would suspect they damaged it. IF you turn the "shift lever pivot bolt" for any reason then the switch is probably damaged.. Did they take off the "Left Footrest Assembly" for any reason or work around that area. You might get lucky and adjust the switch to the correct output voltage, but if someone turned the shift lever pivot bolt and the switch rotated it is probably toast.

Don't ask me how I know.
What do you mean about the 'if somebody turned the shift lever pivot bolt.." Are you saying if the bolt gets turned it can cause trouble? Does it mess up the volatge and fry the switch?

A word of caution. The FOOT SHIFT SWITCH can test OK using the procedure outlined in the FSM on page 8-235, however if the wiper arm is damaged by excessive rotation the FOOT SHIFT SWITCH cannot be set properly.
Is there another switch that can go bad? The mechanic was able to get the swtch adjusted within the 2.4-2.6 range.

Thanks for all the input!! Was anybody taht ha dthe SH__22 able to resolve the issue by cleaning anythign up or did you end up just replacign the switch?

Thanks for the detail. I had looked at that thread but didn't see all the testing detail you had gone through. Closed it since didn't seem like the same problem.

It was in for a tune up and Valve Adjustment.

Don't ask me how I know.
What do you mean about the 'if somebody turned the shift lever pivot bolt.." Are you saying if the bolt gets turned it can cause trouble? Does it mess up the volatge and fry the switch?

The switch is essentially a variable resistor with a wiper arm inside to vary the resistance thus the output voltage. The switch can be adjusted to have an output voltage of approximately 2.5 volts when the switch is in the static position. Using the foot shifter increases or decreases the voltage signaling the ECU to either shift to a higher gear or a lower gear depending upon the output voltage increasing or decreasing past a set limit. If the shift lever pivot bolt is rotated and the switch assembly is not kept from rotating the internals of the switch could be damaged, thus preventing the setting of the output voltage at approximately 2.5 volts when the foot lever is in the static position.

Is there another switch that can go bad? The mechanic was able to get the swtch adjusted within the 2.4-2.6 range.
There is no other switch in the foot shift system. If the mechanic was able to reset the switch to the specified voltage, the switch should be OK. The switch test specified in the FSM measures the total resistance of the switch and does not test for damage to the internal wiper arm which is used to vary the resistance, (output voltage). The only purpose of my comment was to state that the switch could pass the test outlined in the FSM but still not function properly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Getting a shift code error SH__22 when trying to start my bike. SH__22 says that the angle set sensor is bad. Has anybody else had the same error code and what was done to resolve it?

I had the bike in for service and when I went to pick it up it would not start. Makes me think there is a loose connection that did not get plugged in completely rather than a failed switch they have focused in on at the dealer.

Thanks,

Brian
Hi Brian
I have the same issue with Sh_ _22 with Shift under. Only stays on for a second and then goes away.
Could be traveling at 100Kmh and it just drops down to 1st gear.

Did you resolve your problem?
Peter

Thanks,

Brian

Hi Brian
Fault Code: Sh_ _22 With the word Shift under
I have a 2006 AE model (AU) and when out riding the last 2 times I have had the bike go from 5th to 1st without any intervention from me, this gets interesting when doing 100. Does anybody know what the error coded SH--22 is?
How did you fix the problem?
Have had 1 mechanic say it is the Shift actuator but that part doesn't match the code fault. I believe its the foot shift switch,
Please help!
Peter
View attachment 0E23C68C-2AD3-4EE3-A56F-15A61CDF3068.mov