Aerostich Crash Tested Suit Report

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very impressive riding skills on your part sir and smart choice of gear as well. I'll be sharing this with my boss at work since I've been on his case constantly for us needing better work gear. Thanks for sharing!

Holy smokes...what a story. Glad it turned out the way it did and the bike and gear saved your hide!

Great reminder to stay away from friggin trucks...

--G

Last edited by a moderator:
Chiming with the rest that you came out of this in such good shape. Some one up stairs was diffently looking out for you! It's amazing how the brain kicks in to logic mode when you are in such a situation and you feel you are about to be eliminated. Glad your stitch and the side bags worked in your favor. I love my motoport riding gear and hope I never have to use it but know it will do it's job if need be. I know that feeling that it's good to still be alive. Ride safe, ride smart. PM.

Thanks for all of the positive responses. I agree that I am one lucky SOB. As far as the trucking company goes I have no ill feelings. The driver could not have predicted the blowout and did everything he could to get back in his lane. In fact the driver was very concerned with my well being and was a nice guy. The blown tire looked okay and didn't look like a retread.

OMG! Bet you didn't need any coffee for a couple of days, did you? Glad you came out the other side of this without more damage! I think I'm going to start looking for some pants. . .

I found a photo of the trucks tire

520E5E51-3953-4522-A53F-4711DE7E13D8-947-000000693ACB6942_zps1bb67db1.jpg

I agree the bike looked good considering the crash. I haven't had it to the shop yet but the damage so far consists of the banged up Pelican cases, right handle bar ground down a bit, broken windshield and right side mirror, some more grinding on the right foot peg, and a bit of damage to my Givi E52 top box. The Happy Trails Rack is built like a brick shit house. It did bend in about a half inch or so on the right side but I think a BFH (Big Fucking Hammer) will get it straight. The bike does pull a bit to the right now so I hope the frame isn’t bent. We’ll see.

A221DC37-9FDA-49E9-8D62-61C098E9889C-947-00000069E2A47C1F_zps48670868.jpg

C4F23722-B43E-4F0E-B88C-AC4EB299B791-947-0000006A09F98D01_zps187f606d.jpg

OMG! Bet you didn't need any coffee for a couple of days, did you? Glad you came out the other side of this without more damage! I think I'm going to start looking for some pants. . .
I use to think that it was okay to sometime ride around town without proper riding pants. I figured my lower extremities would be less likely to be injured. I was wrong.

Really glad you came through it so well and thanks for sharing your story.

Just wondering how long you slid for before the 'Stich started developing holes?

Dude! Glad you're OK! That could have been so much worse, if it weren't for your gear and skill set.

Years ago I had an encounter with a semi rear tire disintegrating as I pulled alongside to pass. I flagged the driver down when I came level with his cab and he pulled over right away. I've since made a point of keeping the hell away from those big rigs, even when driving the cage. I either stay well back, or pass as quickly as possible

Wonder what caused the blowout?

Really glad you came through it so well and thanks for sharing your story.Just wondering how long you slid for before the 'Stich started developing holes?
I'm not sure of the exact speed that my suit hit the pavement. I figure it was 50-55 mph after I bled off a bit of speed. I think I slid around 75 feet or so judging by the debris field and where I came to rest. Either way I'm impressed with the way the suit protected me and I didn't lose any skin. I can't help but wonder if my FJR's superior brakes would have slowed me faster and allowed me to escape the whole mess. The little GS has ABS and fairly good brakes.
Dude! Glad you're OK! That could have been so much worse, if it weren't for your gear and skill set.
Years ago I had an encounter with a semi rear tire disintegrating as I pulled alongside to pass. I flagged the driver down when I came level with his cab and he pulled over right away. I've since made a point of keeping the hell away from those big rigs, even when driving the cage. I either stay well back, or pass as quickly as possible

Wonder what caused the blowout?
Can't say what caused the blowout. One second I was bored out of my mind slabbing through Wyoming then I heard a loud explosion and all hell broke loose. No warning at all. The big rig driver had no warning either.

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats on the escape. i hope that you heal up quickly and the bike isn't too trashed. I have a few friends that seem to believe more in fashion than protection that I'll share your story with.

-worney

Be sure to discuss the replacement of your gear with the insurance company. They are liable for everything damaged.

Glad you are safe, that is a pretty good testament to that suit.

As I read the story, I am impressed by how you kept your head about you. Even as the crash evolves, you go from one evasive action to the next. From what you've said, you saved yourself not by simply one action, but by a string of actions.

I am just curious if you give credit anywhere for this clear thinking? What advice would you give the rest of us riders for when we deal with a chain of events like this?

What a story! Glad you came out ok! Be sure to report your experience to Aerostich and Pelican. Another reason to love my 'Stich.

I was a truck driver for 12 years and, as far as I'm aware, retreads are prohibited for steer tires (could've been company policy though). I've had tires just blow for no apparent reason, but it was probably due to some internal damage to the cords from a pothole or something...or some manufacturing deficiency.

In any case, glad you're here to tell the tale!

I commend you on your quick thinking and riding skills. I also commend you on your choice of riding gear.

Too many people think MC riding is some sort of a fashion show. I hope this thread gets a lot of exposure to give people a wake up call about protective gear.

The odds of this accident happening are very slim.

The odds of you coming out of this as well as you did are very slim also.

We are all glad you are OK and thanks for giving us this post.

Wow, that is quite the story. I'm so glad to hear that you survived in relatively good shape.

You sure made a lot of good decisions in a short time and scary situation. Gotta love that Stich!!

You deserve mondo compensation for that....

sure you don't have some back pain,neck pain, something serious?

Years ago, a fellow named TwoWheelNut told me he always looks at the trucks tires from as far away left as possible, searching for retreads coming off, crap getting hit and blown your way, etc. To this day I still do. And I pass AFAP too. Even on Wabs, a DL650.

So then, did everything go into slo mo for you?