Aerostich Crash Tested Suit Report

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Years ago, a fellow named TwoWheelNut told me he always looks at the trucks tires from as far away left as possible, searching for retreads coming off, crap getting hit and blown your way, etc. To this day I still do. And I pass AFAP too. Even on Wabs, a DL650.
So then, did everything go into slo mo for you?
Good advice and something I always practice. Those open tires on big rigs demand respect. I also never lane share around big rigs and pass them rapidly if I have more than 35 horsepower on tap. Its got to be difficult to see a little motorcycle from the cab of a large truck. Thanks again for all the positive comments. You guys rock.
Funny you mentioned things going into slow mo. Things happened fairly quickly untill I jumped up on the guardrail to avoid being hit from traffic. After I realized that traffic behind had stopped I got real dizzy and ended up on my back in the fast lane. The next thing I noticed was a guy knocking on my dark tinted face shield. His motions and all those around him appeared to be in slow motion. The voices were also very slow and muffled for probably a minute or so. I've never experienced that before.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, and you will live another day to ride. You took on an 80,000 lb. truck with a bike about 600lbs. and walked away. congratulations on surviving that crash.

Excellent response to a terrible situation. I am always concerned with all vehicles on the road but especially 18 wheelers. Your Aerostitch suit worked just like it was supposed to. Awesome! Let this be another testament to ATGATT. New riders need to understand how proper gear can save body parts or even your life.

I am also concerned about foot damage. You had some and a good friend had some recently in a low side he experienced. How do we better protect our feet? Or is it even possible? What is the best foot protection? (just thinking out loud)

Over 70F and I wear Bohn Armor pants, Kevlar jeans, Cortech Mesh jacket, and Cortech Latigo Boots. Under 70F I wear a Fieldsheer Cyclone Suit and Cortech Latigo Boots.

I crash tested my Fieldsheer suit two years ago at about 45 MPH (low sided on ice on the Cherohala Skyway) and got up, dusted myself off and picked up the bike and rode 3 hours home. RHS Saddle bag got pretty scratched but Skyway's slider did its job perfectly (wish those were still made).

Anywho. Thanks for sharing and I am so glad this had a happy ending. :)

Check out this 18 wheeler tire blowout:

Last edited by a moderator:
damn man, you are one lucky sumbeech!!

you just survived, with only minor injuries, my worst case scenario in that you were in heavy traffic trapped in a "no place to escape" situation.

Once again, those large truck tires are rolling bombs waiting for a place and time to go off, especially in hot weather so pass them quickly and stay away from them.

Damn....

I sent this story to the folks at Pelican Case and complimented them for making such a strong case. I just received an email from Richard White, Pelican Products Customer Services Representative, and he said they are sending me two replacement cases covered under warranty. Talk about great customer service and standing behind their product. Thank You Pelican!!!!!!!!!

So glad how things turned out for you, could have been sooooo much worse. I'm also a believer in ATGATT and it's saved my ass. Thanks for posting your survival story.

Man, thanks for posting your experience, and thank goodness you are OK. +100 to Pelican!! I am also going to stop bitching about how hot my 'stitch Roadcrafter is in the summer now!!!

Funny you mentioned things going into slow mo. Things happened fairly quickly untill I jumped up on the guardrail to avoid being hit from traffic. After I realized that traffic behind had stopped I got real dizzy and ended up on my back in the fast lane. The next thing I noticed was a guy knocking on my dark tinted face shield. His motions and all those around him appeared to be in slow motion. The voices were also very slow and muffled for probably a minute or so. I've never experienced that before.
Probably adrenaline overload coupled with shock I'd think... you dealt with a whole helluva lot in a very short amount of time without real time to process it all... you just did it and then when you realized you were out of harm's way, your body said, okay... time for a quick rest! ;)

Fantastic reactions and there are not many people who have an incident going up against a big rig and live to tell about it... DAMHIK. :D

I too have a couple of friends that don't wear riding pants... excuses like "it's too hot" or "they make me look fat", etc... I will be sending a link to this story to them... you just never know when shit can go sideways and it's best to be prepared for it at all times.

Really glad that you made it through this relatively unscathed... my mind wanders to other possible outcomes but then I just tell the voices to shut up... :lol:

Aerostich posted your story on FB.
Hopefully it convinces someone ATGATT does work. I got my suit all washed up ready to ship back to Duluth for repairs. Maybe I can even get head of line privileges so I have it back before the wet season. :)