Aerostich Roadcrafter 1 Piece Suit

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Motomaniac

Reaction score
Am currently looking for a riding suit that can be used in the winter and the summer. I've read good things about the Aerostich roadcrafter 1 piece. Before spending the big bucks I wanted to get some informed opinions. It will be used for touring, going to the store, and all around riding between 33 deg and 90 deg. I hope I'm posting this in the right location. Thanks for your informed input.

I got a one piece this summer and really like it. If it is over 85 and you are stuck in traffic you will bake. If you keep moving and have the vents open you will be fine. Your heat tolerance may differ from mine. I got the suit in grey as it is the lightest color they have other than Hi-viz. I have not had it long enough to see how it holds up in the cold.

Getting in and out of the suit with street clothes on is a breeze. Thirty seconds, tops.

I have not had a problem with any leaky zippers or seams in the rain. Some people report leaks in the crotch area but I have not had that issue.

I did a ride in to the store in Duluth, MN and the sales people are very helpful and knowlegeable. Plus ride ins get 10% discount.

I love my Aerostitch outfits. I prefer the 2-piece Darien stuff, but that is a personal choice based mostly on wanting to mix-match tops and bottoms. I do have a 1-piece Roadcrafter but I find it a little more inconvenient to use. Great quality, whichever way you go.

Am currently looking for a riding suit that can be used in the winter and the summer. I've read good things about the Aerostich roadcrafter 1 piece.
Have you read bad things about the 2 piece? I have owned two 2 piece Roadcrafters and prefer the 2 piece because it gives a bit of added flexibility when it gets hot. The Roadcrafters are great suits, very easy to get in and out of, and while not advertised as being totally waterproof, I have never gotten wet in my Roadcrafter II. They also are supposed to offer "crash" protection that is close to leather. I have not crash tested mine but know several other riders who have and the suits worked as advertised. Good stuff -- expensive -- but worth it.

I do not own one, but can say I have heard nothing but praise for both vesions of the suit, for what thats worth. ;) It is one of my future purchases.

I've had my 2 piece Areostitch for six years. I was able to find a used suit that had hardly been used as the first owner couldn't take wearing it in heat and humidity. I agree that at low temperatures and in less than hurricane rain you will stay dry. I also got a fleece included with my purchase which I use in the winter.

In heat above the low 90s I have to open up the front zipper to improve the air flow. I'll even admit that at time I will unzip the lowers and only use the jacket. This obviously won't happen with a one piece. When the day time temperatures are in the high 90s or into the 100s I change to an armored mesh jacket.

If you have access to the BMWON magazine you may find a used Aerostitch in your size and maybe your desired color. It is a little embarassing wearing a RED Aerostitch while riding a BLUE FJR. With a tough skin and a second bike that matches the suit color you can ride with any color suit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Am currently looking for a riding suit that can be used in the winter and the summer. I've read good things about the Aerostich roadcrafter 1 piece. Before spending the big bucks I wanted to get some informed opinions. It will be used for touring, going to the store, and all around riding between 33 deg and 90 deg. I hope I'm posting this in the right location. Thanks for your informed input.
Heck Yeah.... Now if you can get to Duluth to get fitted in person that is also worth it... They have a bike in the warehouse showroom you can sit on, and then the folks there can size you up real quick... I got a 48R w/ a gusset (read: I'm a fatty [wait I meant to say: "I'm not Fat I'm just big boned"]) put in it...

Now, granted to suits are pretty slick by themselves, but at this point w/ the extra alterations mine is basically custom made... I also had little things like a pen holder, and velcro for knee slider put on the suit...

My total was $850 by the time I was done, but I think it was worth it...

(Also if you visit the shop in person you get 10% off.....)

-bvw.

btw, mine is a one piece, I wear it almost all the time, when I don't its generally a mesh fieldsheer (sp?) jacket & denim jeans..... Conventional wisdom I've heard from most folks that get the two piece is that they hardly ever wear them seperately, I didn't like the feel of the two piece....

I now prefer the Roadcrafter jacket, 3/4 length, and the Darien Pants because these pants seem to be fully all weather, whereas my Roadcrafter pants did let water during heavy rain on the road.

On the FJR, most of the rain is diverted until getting to towns, where stop and slow riding allows rain to hit directly. The Roadcrafter jacket and Darien pant combination works well for me. Not good enough for track days, though, as it will not zip together. Have to bring the old two piece Roadcrafter out for that ...

YMMV

Leonard

I bought a nearly new 1 piece Roadcrafter two seasons ago for $300. As far as I am concerned, it is the best deal I ever got. I wear it most of the time. When approaching 90 degrees, it becomes a little too hot for me. As long as you buy a large enough size to layer, I believe you could manage the 30's just fine. As I am sure you know, there is no built-in insulation. Mine is a little too form fitting for anything more than an electric jacket or a fleece ( not both). I like mine well enough that I will probably buy a slightly larger size just for better layering.

There is nothing more convenient than to slip it on and off over your street clothes. I have ridden in mine in an absolute downpour for four or more hours behind the tiny windshield of a GS and the only leak I experienced was in the crotch...not as likely behind the fairling of the FJR.

Shep

I have a 1-piece roadcrafter and love it. It's hot in midsummer so I avoid wearing it for in city driving. In that case I wear a Vanson vent jacket and draggin jeans or MotoGP pants. It's ideal for touring.

Custom sizing and alterations are really worth it if your build is a bit unusual. I have short arms and legs so it was a must for me. They can also do special custom work like full length velco to cover zippers. I'd also consider some xtra reflective piping given that I chose black for my suit. The Aerostitch blue doesn't really match the Galaxy Blue.

Ditto on the Summer commuting, the 1 piece Aerostich is just a bit too warm, even if you're wearing shorts underneath.

I also wear a Vanson perforated jacket, jeans and boots in the Summer for commuting.

That said, Summer for me in Washington state means July and a portion of August only.

The 1 piece Aerostich is great for the balance of the year and particularly for touring.

Do purchase and carry a rainsuit though, as the Aerostich will leak in a heavy rain.

I found this out as I was returning home from Hyder, AK and approaching Prince George. B)

I have had a 1 piece Aerostitch for 7 years, I really enjoy it.

Its perfect for when your doing a road trip that might do everything, warm and sunny / next cold and rainy, whatever gets thrown at you, your good to go.

Its not all that warm when its cold out, so I use a Gerbing heated jacket and polar fleece,

When in extreme heat, put a scoop of ice cubes in front.

Its great to wear to work, unzip and there you are in shorts and t-shirt, no worry about going to work "Squidly",

Another thing, after getting somewhere after a ride, there I am in shorts flip-flops while the other guys are all hot in Leather pants etc...( I wear leather boots , but keep flip flops in saddlebag for quick comfort.

ZZZZZZ

Another vote for the 2-piece, which some say avoids crotch-leak that you get with the one piece. I've had both (I've owned , never gotten wet in either, so what do I know?

Anyway, the 2-piece allows for a lot more flexibility.

And, while I don't think the design (or execution) is perfect, it's still the best all-around only riding suit option I've found yet. (I'd like to see better velcro, for one.)

The crotch "leakage" issue is more of a problem for people tooling around town when the wind/rain deflection properties of the shield no longer acts to keep almost all of the rain off of you. In slow speeds some of the rain tends to slide off the back of the tank and pool around the seat/tank junction. Obviously any suit material/zipper that is not completely leakproof would get a real workout, should you sit close to that junction with your body forming a natural "C" shape to act as a convenient catch basin. I find that there is very little rain penetrating the sleeve cuffs or neck seal at speed, providing the suit is adjusted properly.

I would suggest you consider adding the optional elipse panel and forward rotated shoulders for FJR riding positions, should you have a suit made. I ordered three stock sized suits(with their knowledge and approval) in different sizes to find the closest stock fit (returned the others,no problem), before ordering my size with the modifications/options.

Important note>>>> Make sure you know where the knee pad pocket locations are before you order! For some reason the stock locations were too low. If you give them the proper location up front, they will make the correction n/c.

Also test fit the suit with all of the optional pads that you are going to purchase installed (back protector, knee protector, etc...), so that you don't get a rude (tight) suprise should you wish to install them later. They will compress and form- fit a bit as you wear them in.

Good luck :)

In my family, when you trade your full leathers for an Aerostich one piece, it is a rite of passage. My brothers range from FJRs, Goldwings, HD Roadkings and a BMW 1200GS. One brother got clipped by an SUV and went sliding across the freeway at 65 and the suit was worth every penny.

My brothers swear by them. And Aerostich is just a great company and each brother has his Darrien customized. I have been planning mine with the catalog and will probably step up this winter. My family is split between the one piece and the two piece. I will probably go with a two piece, just my style. An investment but worth it.

I went to Duluth "knowing" that I would get a 1-piece. After trying several on, the young lady looked at me and said that I ought to try the 2-piece............I did and am very happy with the top and bottom. I'd say that if you're leaning in the direction of a "Stich", a trip to Duluth is worthwhile if you can swing it?

+1 on pennerk's comments. I have the red two piece bought from an individual on the IBMWR site Marketplace for about half price of new. I can get over the lack of color coordination after being able to get up and walk away after two falls on other bikes with no damage to me or suit. I also very occasionally separate the halves and wear only the jacket with Joe Rocket mesh pants, but that's the exception. In another month in Texas it will be cool enough to use the 'Stitch for everyday riding. Highly recommended, personally tested the hard way.

The urban legend is that 'Stich wearers are able to help the LEOs set up warning cones around their bikes after an accident, and that all the LEOs and EMTs are thus very much impressed. Works for me.

I went with the Roadcrafter jacket and the Darien pants this summer and am very happy with the choice as the morning temps are starting to get a bit chilly here in Duluth :D I also have to agree about the weather protection from the Darien pants - nothin' gets through! I really wanted the choice of not going with the pants during our few hot days (over 90).

Yes, I do stop at the Aerostitch store more than my fair share, thank you since it is about two blocks off my route to work! Also, I usually run into interesting people passing through when I am there. I have to agree with others about the friendliness of the employees there, but the shop is truly targeted at the mail order market. The showroom area is tiny and is always seems like I am taking their time from other tasks such as shipping, packaging, etc....but I digress.

Great suit, glad I got it.

Paul

'05 FJR (picked up July 8, now at 4100 miles) :D

Duluth, MN

10 years , and 4 snow storms, countless rain storms, I finally had to buy a New Stitch, as the RED had faded.

I LOVE my one piece stitch!

Latest posts