After less than two months with an AE.......shame on Yamaha Customer Service

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since I bought my AE new, the idle speed has settled to slightly above 1000 rpm. No problems here. Very occasionally, if I forget to downshift to 1st as I approach a stop, i get a little difficulty moving down the gears to 1st from a dead stop. But all i have to do is give a little throttle to slightly move the bike and then it downshifts smoothly to first from wherever I was. But I think that is just some kind of a syncronization thing with the little do-dads in the tranny as sometimes my other regular shift bikes do the same thing.

Overall, i am perfectly happy with the AE. I have never done more than a half throttle or so power up shift, but it does it quicker and smoother than i could ever do manually. Moving thru the gears up or down is a breeze and you can keep both hands and feet firmly where they belong.

Being the cheap bastard I am, I would make the dealer fix the bike or refund you fully to make you whole. Remind them of your lemon law and keep all correspondence and records. Also, one thing I always tell my kids...The squeaky wheel gets the grease. Complain. Give the service manager a fair shot at fixing things, but if things stall, don't go up the chain, go to the top of the chain.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you forget to downshift into 1st before a stop. The bike can easily be shifted into first with the trigger on the left handlebar simply by rocking the bike back a hair while at a stop. I guess the bike needs to be moving to shift. The AE is simply a sweet technical machine. It sure is nice not to have to use the foot shifter or squeeze the clutch. All you have to do is rocket around like a maniac and enjoy. :)

Thanks everyone for a lot of good wisdom, especially from the AE owners. I know that a number of the AE guys love it and based on their recommendations plus this outstanding forum I decided to make the jump from the '07A. I kind of really dug the paddle shifter and did not use the foot shifter and the AE was great at road speeds.

I've had a couple of days to think about this since posting. Better yet I rode 643 miles today on a C-14. I just decided to move on out and get my rear end on two wheels. Money is important but getting on any bike and having a day like today (even had a hail storm on the ride!!) is priceless. I do not want to have my bike sitting at an excellent dealer while I could be riding. I didn't pay good money to not ride.

You all had good perception and advice also on me not being patient. That is very true and is a fault I admit to!! Did I dig the paddle shifter yes. But in my heart still like squeezing a clutch lever, yes and that is one reason I should have stayed with an excellent '07A and I failed to recognize that with the purchase and when the low speed issues came it really upset me.

Nevertheless, this forum is awesome and over the years I have seen Warchild research the Gen I valve ticking, TruWrecks the altitude sickness, and many others who helped with the "spyder" and ignition switch issues. I believe in my heart that Yamaha Customer Service didn't work my customer issue with any sense of urgency, the dealer did try. Did I get chummy with my dealer, yes. Did my salesman on his own time ride the bike for nearly 100 miles to replicate the issue, yes.

I will continue to lurk and I wish you all the very best! May all your coming days be filled with great rides.

Thanks again for all your good advice. There are some extremely talented and technical folks on this forum that I highly respect and will continue to glean knowledge.

WRichStrom

A three year old bike is hardly new, maybe new to you though. It's been sitting all that time? Things happen when bikes sit for extended periods. Sometimes unexplainable things. If you are not happy with it, sell it and move on. The AE has already had it's funeral in the Yamaha market anyway.

A three year old bike is hardly new, maybe new to you though. It's been sitting all that time? Things happen when bikes sit for extended periods. Sometimes unexplainable things. If you are not happy with it, sell it and move on. The AE has already had it's funeral in the Yamaha market anyway.
What an idiotic statement!

"In the Yamaha market" really? Then all bikes the year after they come out have a funeral b/c Yami only cares about the current model? (hehe, partially true) And if your talking about discontinued models then all my friends with Gen1's... there bikes are dead? lol.

On a serious note;

I would take a 3yr crated/sealed and stored-inside bike any day over a car sitting on a lot for almost a year in the elements (and who thinks of that when walking a new car lot?). Anybody in this business knows the sun and exposure/moisture is WAY worse than the prior mentioned.

If you can save a BIG chunk of change and your not made of money I think a left-over crated machine is a wise decision... If money is not mainstream important, definitely go for the '12 (and next yr. if funds are not the focus, u trade that "old" '12 in for the "really new" 1400 6sp model).

Last edited by a moderator:
Good points Top_Speed1. I would take the 3 year old bike in a crate any day and most likely over the 2012. Big savings and it is still a new bike with full warranty.

Good points Top_Speed1. I would take the 3 year old bike in a crate any day and most likely over the 2012. Big savings and it is still a new bike with full warranty.
Not meaning to disagree, as I bought my 07 AE brand new last year. However, as soon as I rode around the block, I had a 4 yr old used bike. This will probably be the last bike for me (75 yrs old), so it didn't make any difference. On the other hand, If you like to trade every few years or so, better to buy as new as you can afford.

I'm also wondering if the bikes that set up a long time are the ones with the clutch problems. :huh:

@ Jeff and Monty

Yeah it's a risk but if you get such a great deal (as I did) it's hard not to take the chance. My first seek would be to see where the bike was (is) dealer stored. Inside damp free storage (vapor barrier floor and maybe foam or spray insulation on walls/ceiling) is a major plus and poly sealed and in the crate is a must (for me).

I hear ya on the 1st drive and it's already technically 3yrs old, but if your deal was sweet enough to offset those depreciation years... your still a couple pluses up! ...you have a bike with 0 miles and full warranty, not a touch of dust let alone a scratch has ever set forth on her.

So if you can wank out a good deal on a crated leftover that you feel will offset the prior mentioned, I still say go for it!

I can't help but read this and think that you really gave up too quickly. It may be that you got a defective bike, but it seems more likely that the dealer didn't do a good job of setting up and tuning up the bike. The major problems all started when the idle speed was set too high. Did they go away when the idle speed was reduced to 1000 rpm? High idle RPM is an adjustment issue that hits the AE where it lives, in terms of safe and proper auto clutch operation... yet this is easily solved.

Re not being able to shift from 1-2 and 2-1, it's not clear as to whether this was when you were trying to shift via the left foot shift lever, or by the handlebar-mounted trigger shifter. If the trigger shifter worked well and the foot shift lever didn't, then it is an adjustment issue and easily solved. I agree with those who have said you shouldn't take a bath on this... and that you should take this up with the dealer.

I also have a brand-new '09 AE (bought it out of the crate from a dealer), and have no problems once underway. The clutch does grab a little unevenly when accelerating from a stop... IF I'm tentative with the throttle. If I'm deliberate and give it enough throttle to cleanly engage the clutch, there is no problem. I have a background in mechanical engineering and in computer software, and based upon this and how I understand the auto clutch mechanism to be implemented, this is what I would expect. Dragging a little rear brake at slow speeds when maneuvering cures a lot of ills with the AE. This tendency to grabbing may be amenable to a clutch soaking, or it may be amenable to more riding, but given that it's really not a problem I'm just going to ride the bike more. I have learned to not downshift the bike early when coming to a stop (something that I do with a standard bike, just holding in the clutch as I downshift), because the clutch will disengage at low RPMs, and then I can just 'pull the trigger' to get back to 1st once stopped. All in all, I'm pretty happy with my AE... the bike likes to run, likes to lean, is deceptively quick AND fast, and is very comfortable at speed... it's a cruise missile of a motorcycle.

I'd like to figure out a way to add a conventional clutch lever to an AE (with a lighter pull than on the A model). The one thing I miss about a regular clutch-operated manual transmission is the ability to use the clutch to coast, for instance after a high speed pass. The FJR is so quick that it's nothing to pass a car starting at 50 mph, downshifting to 4th, twisting the throttle, and finding oneself up doing 90 just that quickly... and backing off of the throttle gives tremendous engine braking. Having said that, the AE is a very easy bike to ride after a few minutes' experience. It may be even easier for people (like me) who don't have decades of manual shifting muscle memory. The one thing I'd say to prospective AE purchasers is, be prepared to have to acclimate to a different way of shifting.

Nevertheless, life is too short to be stuck with something you don't like. The neat thing about the sport tourer market is that there's bikes at all points of the spectrum, and they're all pretty good. The C14 is also a very nice sport tourer, maybe a little more biased to the tourer side than the sport-oriented FJR. I hope it works out for you.

Re not being able to shift from 1-2 and 2-1, it's not clear as to whether this was when you were trying to shift via the left foot shift lever, or by the handlebar-mounted trigger shifter. If the trigger shifter worked well and the foot shift lever didn't, then it is an adjustment issue and easily solved. ...
Remember both the finger lever and the foot lever are both just electrical switches, whichever you choose to use, it either switches or it doesn't.

There is a small adjustment for the foot switch, you can move the lever up or down a little, but that doesn't affect how it actually changes gear.

(Click on image for larger view)

I'd like to figure out a way to add a conventional clutch lever to an AE (with a lighter pull than on the A model).

Not going to happen (though I'd like it myself
huh.gif
).

I had this happen after taking it in for an oil change. I posted up my dilemma on the forum and another AE rider pointed to the high idle. Sure enough, some moron mechanic at the dealership had adjusted my idle higher. I had it lowered and never had this problem again. I've had mine for over 5 years now and it is just fine.

Many dealers have no experience with the AE at all. When I brought in my AE for some recall work, they wouldn't ride it at all. They just pushed it around. They said they never sold an AE before. That sure boosts your confidence when you pick up your bike after work has been done to it.

Many dealers have no experience with the AE at all. When I brought in my AE for some recall work, they wouldn't ride it at all. They just pushed it around. They said they never sold an AE before. That sure boosts your confidence when you pick up your bike after work has been done to it.
Any dealer that "won't ride" the bike needs to be replaced. Like if your in the business why wouldn't you want to know about it, what it does, how it feels etc. AND if it's a Yami OEM dealer you should report the actions (or lack of). Now if this was a HD dealer then I can see this happening 4 sure ;)