After market exhausts

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sliick2

Reaction score
Friends, I would like to get some input on your feelings about the sound levels

on your trips.I don't intend to to any Iron Butt trips,but do travel about an hour

each day,one way.I don't want to spend a good chunk of money,only to find out that the

sound is obnoxious & have to sell the pipes. Found that out on my Goldwing.Thanks

in advance.Sliick2

I don't have aftermarket pipes or ridden a bike, but I was around at the last Iron Butt Rally observing technical inspection of aftermarket pipes. IIRC, there were 2 or 3 bikes with various aftermarket pipes (don't remember brands). Also IIRC none of the FJRs with aftermarket pipes were close to the imposed decibel limits.

And, these are folks that then put 11,000 miles on their bikes. All ran earplugs. One would think they were all either deaf, very tolerant of loud pipes, or didn't think the pipes were that loud.

I think alot of this is personal preference. Everyone has a different tolerance to noise, and what they consider noise. Not only that, but the different manufacturers exhaust sounds different from each other. I personally would like an aftermarket system on my bike, but money is stopping me not noise

I though about aftermarket cans until I rode with another owner who has some. After about an hour of riding behind him I had enough to convince me the constant din was just too much for me.

I like my noise, and have yet to hear complaints from those far, far behind me concerning their obnoxious sound.

In addition to Leo Vince, Staintune also offers their slip-ons with a removeable baffle. Run it with or without, depending on your preference. I prefer to run without - it helps drown out the voices in my head. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Details at Bikes-N-Spikes
https://www.bikes-n-spikes.org/mods/cans/cans.html

When they are on YOUR bike, the din is left in the dust.
Oh, don't get me wrong, I do enjoy the sounds of AM cans. My problem is the din not the sound. I have a damaged left ear drum and constant sone/din of certain types make me go nuts (or more so than I already am!). It's bad enough for me that if I'm in a restaurant, after 30 or 40 minutes, the ambient noise sometimes forces me to leave. I even put my bathroom shower/tank fan on a rheostat so that I can vary the speed of the fan and hence the sone/din levels.

So Barney really looks that way because he keeps asking, "Huh? What? Whaaaa?"

Your observation about ambient noise sounds like a worse case of what I deal with. I wear ear plugs when running any tools and on all rides (even Gold Wings).

I can hear just fine. It's hard to describe the sensation caused by these types of noises, but it becomes painful after a bit. Right now, the office gardener is running the gas leaf blower. Has been for about 30 minutes. I'm just about to go outside and strangle the bastard!

+1 on earplugs.

Rider Magazine just had an article on ear plugs. The University of Southhampton (in Britain) ran tests to determine real-world sound risks. They inserted calibrated microphones into the outer ear of motorcyclists riding BMW K-bikes. 27 samples of helmets at speeds up to 70 mph. Bottom line: 100dB despite differences in helmets. Translation: OSHA guidelines--maximum exposure per day--100dB, 2 hours. Since I'm likely to ride @ 70 mph for more than 2 hours.....and I don't want any more hearing loss or ear damage....

For the record, I'z be hating dis tinitis! But I'z be lubbin' dems Holeshots on myz FJR!

Learned the hard way that ear plugs are an important item while riding. Protects our hearing and keeps us from getting tired from the wind blast, or just unnecessary noise levels. I once read a test that the noise level inside a full face helmet was no different from wearing a half helmet. Also in the test it was determined the simple foam plugs were one of the most effective in the test if inserted properly. I'm sure different helmets have different noise levels dependant on the helmet liner and shell construction. I'm seriously considering purchasing a custom pair of fitted plugs like musicians wear. Let's you hear while riding but defeating all the bad noise that can cause us problems. One reason I considered the FJR is because it is supposed to be a quiet ride. Something new for me. Still waiting...... PM. <>< :ph34r:

I guess almost everyone here has seen or heard Holeshot's systems but just in case not here is a link to some short vids of their cans with sound on various bikes.

At the very bottom are two clips of them on the FJR, one with a decibel meter recording the sound level from a drive-by.

https://www.holeshot.com/videos/

Our own Warchild has stated that he would put the quality of these cans up against anyone else's...

Warchild11-06-2003, 08:21 PM

I've seen a lot of pipes over the years, some of them pretty much crap (Two Bros, D&D, etc), some of them very, very good (Erion, Akrapovic, etc). I'd put the Holeshot products up against any of them, anytime, anywhere.

https://www.fjrtech.com/images/fuel-exhaust/hs/hs1.jpg

...but they do come at a price. Doesn't everything worth while?

26339.jpg

Hey Dale Walker! ...I'm waiting for the check to arive. ;)

Make it out to RogerB :D

Speaking of Dale Walker, anybody still holding their breath for the full header system that's been "just about ready" for at least a year now? I remember talk on the slEZy board about how it was "almost there" when I was a waiter in March of '04.

Speaking of Dale Walker, anybody still holding their breath for the full header system that's been "just about ready" for at least a year now? I remember talk on the slEZy board about how it was "almost there" when I was a waiter in March of '04.
A year? It's been more like two. I have totally given up on that system being released. I do like my Holeshots, but Dale Walker screwed the pooch on the whole full system thing.

Well now, I just e-mailed Holeshot to check on a full system.

I'll post an answer or lack there of here as soon as I know something.

RB

Alrighty then! :D

Dale Walker has already replied to my e-mail earlier today and information about the complete system is in the works.

Here is a copy of his letter to me.

Date: Sunday, January 29, 2006 11:57 AM

To: [email protected]

Subject: Re: [hs] FJR1300 system?

Size: 3 KB

Yes, Im a man of my word and in fact I will be taking care of about 14 to

15 guys in a week or so with the first sets to ship out.

I will be getting this all set up by the end of next week. I will be

starting another run of about 15 sets about Feb 20th.

If your name is not on a list for one now , you may want to call me next

week to ask a few questions and get one on order

Not set price as of yet

Thanks, Dale

Wow ... so the first 15 guys bought them without knowing what the price was gonna be? That's some silly-goofy money boys....