After the tick cure.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rockbyter

Reaction score
Does anyone think it would be necessary to check and adjust the CO after the heads been done to cure the tick? 04 and the vibes are getting really annoying. I have done the TB sync and it cured a little but no where near enough. It is OK up to about 4500 then it starts, eases off from about 5500 to 6000 then comes back. At around the 8000 mark fillings start to loosen. Vibes are mainly foot rest and seat with slightly less at the bars. What I have noticed is that when revved on the centre stand all the vibrations seem to eminate from the exhaust system. Also the vibrations can be felt on the overrun so fueling seems a non contributor.

Unless it's just me being fussy, Jerry

Do they loosen/remove any of the egine mounting bolts during tick repair? If so, perhaps they need a sequenced torque check.

Last edited by a moderator:
CO adjust only affects operation below about 3000 RPM so that's not going to do anything to address your situation. You might want to try a Power Commander and play with different maps. But I think your vibs are pretty normal, at least as far as the RPM ranges where you're noticing them. An in line four is what it is. Make sure your motor mounts (and everything else) are tight.

In answer to first, yes the whole engine was out.
Sounds like that is the root cause of your problem. (Vibes) How to proceed to fixing it is a difficult path. I am not sure how to advise you here. Hopefully somebody else will be able to help.

OK so fairing lowers off tomorrow, anyone got a schematic with all the mounts showing and the torques? I know it's left side first. The ones with the pinch bolts? What's the procedure here? is it loosen pinch bolt, tighten main bolt then re-secure pinch bolt.

I am reasonably good with spanners, well used to be :dribble: but just need a little information to get it right first time.

Thanks, Jerry

Ok all mounting bolts are tight. Thing is that all the vibrations seem to come from the exhaust. If I feel about the engine seems to have no vibrations at all, touch the exhaust and it is like a can full of angry wasps. Is that normal? I need to get some one to ride it who thinks there bike is smooth and see what they think incase it's just me being paranoid.

Even though all engine bolts are tight, it does not necessarily mean they were sequenced correctly when the motor was re-installed. Unless your statement means that you have already addressed this?

As mentioned earlier, the entire engine does not have to be completely removed from the bike for cylinder head removal. Though I believe it does need to be rotated in the frame to allow the head sufficient clearance.

I remember someone posting up an image of the service manual that shows the bolts and torque sequence, but I don't remember who.

Last edited by a moderator:
In my case they took the whole engine out, I know cos I saw it on the bench. Sequence I don't know but the guy that did it has access to all the necessary data and is a good mechanic. I feel it would have been done correctly but I will ask him. I checked the service manual and checked them in the correct sequence. In my last post I said the engine seems smooth and all the vibes seem to emanate from the exhaust system. This is the odd thing, also it could just be me thinking there is a problem when there isn't but it is really hard to ride at speed with the buzzing.

This may be a dumb question but have you checked all the bolts on the exhaust system? If they had the engine out they had to loosen some of them, if not all. I'd start at the head and also check all the mounting bolts.