Aftermarket grips with OEM heated grips?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad German

Reaction score
I have OEM heated grips on my 2008, but I really don't like the OEM grips. On my previous bikes, I've always put Renthal medium compound grips on them. So, if I have OEM heated grips, is it possible to swap out the OEM grips, just like I've always done? I've never had a bike with heated grips, so forgive me if this is an elementary question.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me out.

Cheers,

MG

I don't want to slide anything over the existing OEM grips, I'd rather get rid of them and get some Renthals. Are the OEM heated grips integral to the actual rubber grips themselves? Or is the heating element portion of the grips more like the aftermarket heated grips, in that it's something that slides over the bars, and then the grips slide over that?

What would happen if I tried to remove the OEM grips? Would I be left with a heating element stuck to the bars?

When I installed Yamaha OEM heated grips on my Tenere found that they are molded into the grip. There is no way of taking the grip off and leaving the heating elements that I am aware of.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sure Dave meant they will slide over the grip element wires. Even Odot and FJRay would know not to try and slide grips over grips

I don't want to slide anything over the existing OEM grips, I'd rather get rid of them and get some Renthals. Are the OEM heated grips integral to the actual rubber grips themselves? [integral] Or is the heating element portion of the grips more like the aftermarket heated grips, in that it's something that slides over the bars, and then the grips slide over that? [Nope]
What would happen if I tried to remove the OEM grips? Would I be left with a heating element stuck to the bars? [Nope]
Answers inserted above, elements are integral with the grips.

Good luck!

--G