Air Compressor hookup to bike

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goodman4

Pressing on
Reaction score
Like many others, when I first got the FJR I blew the fuse in the glovebox by trying to air the tires with a slime compressor. I don't take the compressor with me on trips as I'm usually two up and packed tight anyway, so I didn't worry about the limitation much and just use the accessory plug in the car to air the tires. Still it's a bit of a pain when sometimes I've not parked just right and the cable doesn't reach.

I had not seen this simple $9 solution before but I ran across it today. Battery Tender sells a "081-0069-8 Female Cigarette Adaptor for Quick Disconnect" that lets you quick plug an accessory port into the battery tender plug. It's got a 10 amp fuse so it should handle it, I think. I ordered one from Amazon today, since I've got battery tender connections handy on both my bikes. Maybe we'll have to make room for the compressor now.

Check the compressor. Mine, for example, is also a Slime, but it requires a 15 Amp fuse. Some of the better ones need more than 10 Amps.

i have used my Battery Tender tail (Direct to battery) for 4 years with no issues. I too have the Slime compressor, and it comes with an extension that connects (SAE) to the tender harness.

The Slime compressor comes with cigarette adapter, battery clip ons and SAE connector. Works fine !

Also adapters of every kind can be found from here: Plugs Sockets Wire & More - Powerlet Products

Last edited by a moderator:
Did some more research and my slime compressor can run up to 15 amps, but I found some posts where people measure them at 6-7 under typical use. I guess that means it "should" work but under the right load could blow the fuse on the tender harness. Someone asked this question on Amazon and the seller said, "The standard Deltek pigtail that connects to the battery and this plug has an integral standard 10 amp fuse block, but it could be easily replaced with a 15 or 20 if you needed to."

I guess we'll see.

I've also blown the 3 amp glove box fuse. Wasn't sure about a bigger one. I was afraid I'd melt wires.

I've also blown the 3 amp glove box fuse. Wasn't sure about a bigger one. I was afraid I'd melt wires.
Mine was fitted by a previous owner. He was generous with the wire size :D

It's about 3 foot of what looks to be 14 gauge.

Mine was fitted by a previous owner. He was generous with the wire size
biggrin.png

I rewired my cig lighter direct to the battery with a bigger gauge and a 20am fuse, expressly for the purpose of running a compressor. Also lets me charge things in the glove box overnight.

Mine was fitted by a previous owner. He was generous with the wire size
biggrin.png

I rewired my cig lighter direct to the battery with a bigger gauge and a 20am fuse, expressly for the purpose of running a compressor. Also lets me charge things in the glove box overnight.
Make sure the ground wire is beefed up and doesn't use any of the loom's "spider" connections to get back to the battery.

If you "charge things in the glovebox overnight", be prepared for a flat battery in the morning. Ok, a cellphone might not flatten the battery; if whatever it was needed more than a 3 amp fuse to charge, don't.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I install a powerlet socket for my gps I planned on it also being used for powering a compressor. Wired it directly to the battery with an in-line fuse. Works fine.

DSCN1241.jpg

I got a pack of 15 amp fuses and got to the battery tonight where the Battery Tender (Deltran) fuse is located. I opened it up and the fuse is a 15 amp instead of the 10 amp I was told it had. Whatever. Now I don't know whether the Deltran comes with a 15 or if the previous owner upped it. Either way, I'm good to go and shouldn't complain.

I did the same as the pic above on the right handlebar except I just used a cig socket not powerlet.

For packing I took all the plastic off the compressor and its as small as tea cup and under the front seat.

I just hook it up to my battery maintainer (tether cable). I use the Areostich mini and it has the connector pigtail, so easy peasy.

41VwHgzEyjL._SX300_.jpg

i have used my Battery Tender tail (Direct to battery) for 4 years with no issues. I too have the Slime compressor, and it comes with an extension that connects (SAE) to the tender harness.The Slime compressor comes with cigarette adapter, battery clip ons and SAE connector. Works fine !

Also adapters of every kind can be found from here: Plugs Sockets Wire & More - Powerlet Products
+1, But I wired mine through the fuze block, works good with slime compressor.

I did the same as the pic above on the right handlebar except I just used a cig socket not powerlet. For packing I took all the plastic off the compressor and its as small as tea cup and under the front seat.
I found that the Slime compressor as is stands on edge nicely all the way aft in the tail section. The hose, power cord and adapter also fit in there so I am able to utilize previously unused space.