Air Compressor

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimLor

Reaction score
Now that my change jar is almost full ($300 last time) I'm considering stuff to buy. Looking at tire changing equipment and also an air compressor. We own a small compressor made to blow up small stuff - works on tires ok but is very weak.

I'd like an air compressor that can easily fill tires, has enough strength to clean - blow out - dirt and crap from various places, and has "some" capacity to do more. I don't have any air tools - but might get some one day. To be honest, I don't really know what you can do with an air compressor other than fill tires and run air tools.

If folks would care to give their opinions (hard to find around here I know) - please give me your thoughts on size, features, attachments, brands and anything else you've learned about compressors - heck, give me some ideas on what you can do with an air compressor.

Thanks.

If it plugs into you cigarette lighter it is no good. Plan on spending$100-and up. Entry level will get you a good enough compressor to do your tires quickly. The larger and more expensive you get will allow you to use tools, sprayers etc. Now this will depend on what you want to do. I bought a sears compressor, about 100 bucks, and it has worked out fine for the tires but I don't use it for anything else. It should also have a tank and an accessory package. They go on sale alot so keep your eyes open. I had to put oil in mine and you may want to get the next level up. hope this helps.

I have a 10 gallon, Briggs and Stratton form walmart for $99.00 which you can pretty much do everything with. I changed a tire on my wife's car and the impact wrench kicked ass. I bought an air tool kit from Walmart for $49.00 that had a impact, ratchet,grinder and all the air fittings. Cheap but that's all I needed.

Steve

I'm not going to give you some disertation on cfm, volume, hp and the such. I, in my shop, use industrial air compressors as I require very clean, cool, dry air and only use a small 1/2 hp compressor for nail guns in the customer's home. You can find any one of several dozen a/c's between 2-5 hp. I have a small 2hp that I will use with a detail paint gun and an air ratchet at the house as well as tire inflation and blowing dust around and it all I need for that. Obviously the more you want to do with it in the terms or air tools, the biggger it needs to be. All the homeowner a/c's found at Slowe's , Sears and such stores share common suppliers from China and Tiawan so you really are looking at a level playing field in this range. My only advice is to not to bite on digital pressure guages and other such bling..not needed and I would assume harder to replace than the good old dial pressure guage..just shop for the best deal from someone you can take it back to for service. That is all with which I would concern myself.

Hey Jim

Rule #1 I've learned is that the cheap Chinese motors and compressors ones don't last.

Rule #2 is to buy more capacity than I think I need.

Rule #3 is related to my willingness to buy used. I won't buy a compressor, power washer, etc if it is paint-splattered or I even remotely think it could be internally tired from contractor use. If you're willing to buy used, there are always some on your side of Quantico on Craigslist.

Best regards

Bob

If it plugs into you cigarette lighter it is no good. Plan on spending$100-and up. Entry level will get you a good enough compressor to do your tires quickly. The larger and more expensive you get will allow you to use tools, sprayers etc. Now this will depend on what you want to do. I bought a sears compressor, about 100 bucks, and it has worked out fine for the tires but I don't use it for anything else. It should also have a tank and an accessory package. They go on sale alot so keep your eyes open. I had to put oil in mine and you may want to get the next level up. hope this helps.

How about a compressor big enough to set the bead on a net tire. Any input as to what size compressor pumps enough volume to set the bead?

I have a Harbor Freight 21 gallon upright with 4.5 peak horsepower. It does everything I need to do at home, including spraying paint, running an impact gun and other air tools, and changing tires. These go for about $150 on sale. It is a cheap compressor and I don't know how long it will last, but I've had it for about three years and so far so good. It will not run with an extension cord, even a heavy 14 gauge one, so I have to keep it where I can plug it directly into a receptacle.

The ex-wife got my 30 gallon compressor I got from Bi-Mart years ago. Can't remember the brand, but it was LOUD. So was the tough ex-wife who got it. The thing was an upright (I like that) but took up a lot of room.

My current wife bought me a lay-down 15 gallon at Sears (also loud but not as bad in a confined garage). It is a good compromise between power for household chores (painting, air guns, cutters, drill, etc.), size, etc. I would definitely want a stand-up if there is a next time (I'm keeping the tank and wife until they both die, by the way). If I was doing a LOT of work, like renovating a home top to bottom, I'd get a bigger, badder tank. Guys will tell you to figure out the most demanding cfm tool you will be using and get a compressor and tank to run it. And they are correct, But most homeowners don't need a huge tank and compressor, unless they are running sanders constantly or something like that. The longer you run a tool continuously or the bigger the demand of air by the tool, the more air you want in a tank.

Last week I got a Sears hose reel with a 30 foot hose to get my other 30 foot hose off the garage floor to gain space. The reel was $40 on sale (same as a harbor freight reel, and nicer looking). Get an oil-less compressor and don't regret it. Tools I pick up on sale wherever. A nice accessory, but not needed.

The analogy I tell people that ask (and again, I am no expert), and you asked; The tank is like a bank account, and the compressor is like a wage earner. Air is like money in the bank account. You want enough money in the bank account to get the project completed, and if it isn't enough, you have to wait for the wage earner to get more money to use on the project. Don't want to wait ever? Have millions in the bank....

Just my $.02 and experience.

Last edited by a moderator:
Almost 10 years ago I bought a Coleman (no shit, Coleman) 4HP direct drive compressor. There were all sorts of specs about how much more efficient it was than the typical belt drive. While I am convinced that most of that was BS, it has been extremely reliable.

What I looked for was the most CFM/Horsepower/Tank capacity that I could find in a 120V Single-phase compressor. I did not, and still do not, want to be forced to provide 220V or any type of special plug or electrical.

That's still my recommendation, buy all the compressor you can get that plugs into a standard 120V AC outlet.

One last note about the direct drive, it's loud as hell!!! Belt drive may be less efficient, but if my compressor fires up after bedtime, ain't nobody sleeping through it.

:)

I'll try to come back to post some pics and info.

Almost 10 years ago I bought a Coleman (no shit, Coleman) 4HP direct drive compressor. There were all sorts of specs about how much more efficient it was than the typical belt drive. While I am convinced that most of that was BS, it has been extremely reliable.
What I looked for was the most CFM/Horsepower/Tank capacity that I could find in a 120V Single-phase compressor. I did not, and still do not, want to be forced to provide 220V or any type of special plug or electrical.

That's still my recommendation, buy all the compressor you can get that plugs into a standard 120V AC outlet.

One last note about the direct drive, it's loud as hell!!! Belt drive may be less efficient, but if my compressor fires up after bedtime, ain't nobody sleeping through it.

:)

I'll try to come back to post some pics and info.

Thanks for reminding me -- my loud assed compressor was a Coleman too. Must have been the direct drive.... brings back deafening memories. That old thing has been left in the rain at my ex's house off and on. Still runs, I'll give it that.

"My current wife bought me a lay-down 15 gallon at Sears (also loud but not as bad in a confined garage)......Just curious... The new wife, or the new compressor?

Always buy more than you think you need. I have a 300cfm at 180psi. It's a 6 cylinder air pump powered by a 471 detroit diesel. I can run ANYTHING air powered. I own a sandblasting business so that's what I need. But in my shop I run a 5hp 20cfm @ 110psi. It'll run any air tool in the shop. IE. impact gun, die grinder. blow gun... it was under a thousand dollars and has a 60 gallon tank. My 2cents.

I bought a 30 gallon compressor at home depot a few years back. Came with a chisel, impact, ratchet, sprayer, grinder and something else, all in a hard plastic case. Was the best deal going at the time. Sears used to have a similar package. The impact and ratchet are right up there with great inventions. Sure does make wrenching on things alot easier and quicker. Plus the whir or air tools makes it sound to the neighbors that you look like you know what you're doing. Be sure you get one big enough to at least run an impact continuously. My father in law has a small compressor for a nail gun, and tries to use an impact. All he does is spend alot on beer waiting for the tank to get full for another quick blast. I spent around $300 at Home depot. Fathers day is coming up. Might want to wait for some good sales.

"I have a 300cfm at 180psi. It's a 6 cylinder air pump powered by a 471 Detroit diesel. I can run ANYTHING air powered."

Anything?..... ;-)

Yeah, that oughta do the trick!

Guess I over did it a little...7hp, 240V, Twin Cylinder, 80gal, 11.4CFM@90psi. Enough oomph to blow out my sprinkler system every fall. And I am going to replace it this summer...have my eye on this little baby...

Big Air ;)