Air Compressor

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRPittsburgh

Rally Addict
Reaction score
I'm interested in buying an air compressor for seating the bead on my FJR tires after mounting. Harbor Freight has a 3 gallon, 1/3 HP, 100 PSI Oilless compressor on sale for $39.99 w/coupon, regularly $79.99. Air delivery: 0.6 SCFM at 90 PSI, 1 SCFM at 40 PSI. Would this model be adequate for my needs? Shown here: Click Here

Last edited by a moderator:
>"Harbor Freight has a 3 gallon, 1/3 HP, 100 PSI Oilless compressor on sale"

I've seen several of those carried back into Harbor Freight... (returns). $40 bucks... take your chances!

I've seen several of those carried back into Harbor Freight... (returns). $40 bucks... take your chances!
Yeah, I've been doing some research and they do seem like a piece of crap. I checked the CFM's of the small portable tankless air compressor I already own and it puts out 5 times the air that the this Harbor Freight model dispenses. I saw on another bike forum where another compressor was recommended and is sold by HF. THIS MODEL Also this 2HP compressor is not oilless so it would probably last much longer. I will use it very little so I want to keep the investment to a minimum.

The reason I want to buy a little better one than the one I already own is I could not seat the bead on the front tire of the FJR with my current tankless compressor. Believe it or not, I was able to seat the bead on the rear PR2 tire though. My neighbor had a better tank compressor that mine and his worked just fine on the front tire. I just needed a little more pressure.

Sorry for the late post, seems we were typing at the same time..
No problem. I will not be using it for any air tools. Just inflating tires with enough pressure and volume of air to seat the bead on my bike tires. Also blowing out the air filter and inflating car tires. I have just about every tool imaginable for bike maintenance, but never owned a decent compressor.

I've had one those for ~9 yrs now and it's still doing good. I've had to replace a small ball valve, but that's it. It won't keep up very well if you're doing something that uses alot of air (like a die grinder, etc), but for general airing up tires, seating beads it does good.

I had 2 compressors at my old house but when I moved in here I had sold one, and blew up the other (a Craftsman airless 5 hp/60 gallon) so got this little HF special just to get me through, and I'm still using it now.

I suspect the Yamalube 20-40 I'm running in it is why it's been reliable all these yrs.............

EDIT: I see you're looking at the OILLESS compressor; mine is an oil sump variety. The only one I've had of the oilless variety I blew up as mentioned above, but I also used the crap out of that one for air tools and such. Still, for the price, wtf - get it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's a possibility for you. Every pawn shop in town has several air compressors. When the housing industry collapsed, zillions of these things got pawned. They can be had for CHEAP...

Gary

darksider #44

Here's a possibility for you. Every pawn shop in town has several air compressors. When the housing industry collapsed, zillions of these things got pawned. They can be had for CHEAP...

Gary

darksider #44
Good idea!
No kidding. My compressor took a crap a couple weeks ago. I obviously need a new one, but haven't wanted to put out the cash. This is an awesome idea. I'll go looking this week.