Air Pressure Gauge

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The valve stems I'm using are made by Ariete. A great many international race teams use these stems exclusively. They are very reliable. They will cost you about $30.00 for a pair. My source for these was MotoWheels. Look them up at motowheels.com. Buy them.....you'll be glad you did.

black mamba,

When you installed the Ariete 90 degree valve stems did you have the tire and wheel dynamic or static balanced?

BeardO

Beardo...the tires / wheels were balanced dynamically. I am no expert but I don't think it matters which way you balance them. They are so light in weight that the sideways extension doesn't seem to exert a difference. A friend installed them on his FJR, balanced them statically, and everythings great.

Last edited by a moderator:
The valve stems I'm using are made by Ariete. A great many international race teams use these stems exclusively. They are very reliable. They will cost you about $30.00 for a pair. My source for these was MotoWheels. Look them up at motowheels.com. Buy them.....you'll be glad you did.
Are these the ones you got (Japanese, 11.3mm hole)?

They look pretty "shallow" (not much up, before the 90deg bend). Is there enough room to latching a compressor onto them between the rim and the [horizontal part of the] stem?

black mamba,

Thanks much for your reply. Not only did you answer my question, but you answered my questions that I didn't ask as well. The place I had my tires installed last year only static balance the tires so I was worried about using the 90 degree valve stems. BTW, would you say that most motorcycle dealerships dynamic or static balance motorcycle wheels and tires? I ended up having my tires mounted and balanced at my local BMW motorcycle dealership and was surprised to find out that they do not dynamic balance the wheels and tires... they only static balance them.

wood stock,

The following link shows a picture of these valve stems installed on the FJR wheels. Don't know if this helps, but I thought I'd post the link anyway.

Ariete Valve Stems Installed on the Wheels of an FJR

BeardO

The following link shows a picture of these valve stems installed on the FJR wheels. Don't know if this helps, but I thought I'd post the link anyway.
Ariete Valve Stems Installed on the Wheels of an FJR
Cool. Looks like plenty of room.

re:size. the "OEM Japanese wheels with 11.3mm hole" are the right ones, right? Trying to get air hose/gauges inside those front rotors is just about killing my wrists. <_<

woodstock,

I do not have the Ariete valve stems on my wheels yet, nor have I ordered them yet. However, I would think the "OEM Japanese wheels with 11.3mm hole" is the correct ones. The only other ones that they sell are the Italian ones and they're much smaller. Hopefully black mamba will chime in and confirm this. I know what you mean about that d*amn valve stem on the front wheel... it is a real b*tch to get to!

BeardO

Yes, the Japanese 11.3 mm size is the one you want. You have plenty of room to put attachments on the stem. Kiss the misery of getting to the stock stem goodbye.

beardo....I can't comment on how most shops balance tires. I simply don't know. My shop can do it either way. I'm sure its a case of whether or not the shop wants to invest in the equipment required for dynamic balancing. Like I said, I'm no expert. I tend to believe that dynamic balancing is the way to go but the static method seems to work well also.

Yes, the Japanese 11.3 mm size is the one you want. You have plenty of room to put attachments on the stem. Kiss the misery of getting to the stock stem goodbye.
I ordered them today! I'll get them on next tire change. Can't wait!

Woodstock.....

You, and others, who switch to this stem will be forever grateful that you have done so. I've put some pretty expensive farkles on my bike ( things like Wilber's #643 shock, full Spiegler brake treatment, and many others ). Nothing I've done comes home as a convenience benefit as often as this stem change.

Yo, WS and others:

I went to order these, too, but they only come in Blue and Black. What gives? Can't I get silver to match the 04/05 wheels?

-BD

I've got the silver ones on my '05 FJR. When I ordered them for my wife's new FJR, all I could get was blue or black. Could be they're just back-ordered on the silver. Perhaps a phone call to MotoWheels is in order to check on the status of the silver ones.

Funny, now the only option is BLUE! Black and Silver NOT in stock.
-BD
I will have the blue and black ones in stock tomorrow. I will make sure I have them listed on my site as well. Silver ones are a few weeks away.

Mine came today, yea!

They're a little heavier than I expected, but still pretty light.

What's that little (1") black piece of (~3/8" diameter) tubing for, though?