airbox install

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

v65

ouch
Reaction score
Is there a secret to getting the airbox back onto the throttle bodies? The Sab/Mag crowd used to use a ratchet strap around the engine to pop the carbs back on, but I don't think thats gonna work on the Feejer :)

Is there a secret to getting the airbox back onto the throttle bodies? The Sab/Mag crowd used to use a ratchet strap around the engine to pop the carbs back on, but I don't think thats gonna work on the Feejer :)
Having replaced many air boxes on alot of bikes, I found that on the fjr I needed to back off on the 4 clamping bands and sprayed a lube on the throttle body throats and then eased the box onto the body making sure none of the rubber is getting pinched. If they don't slide on easily don't force them. If the garage is cold sneak you wifes hair dryer into the garage and warm the rubbers up so they are plyable. Don't tighten the bands until you have bolted the box into place, then tighten the bands. GOOD LUCK.

Thanks guys, will give it another shot trying the hair dryer idea.

I am just curious here... why did you have the airbox out to begin with?
Well thats a question with many answers:

1) I like to take stuff apart and put it back together to see how it works.

2) There is snow on the ground, its cold, and I'm bored.

3) From my wife's point of view its because I'm an idiot.

but the real reason is I am attempting to get the dubious distinction of having the forum record for the longest cruise control install, parts of which are documented here:

cc install

wiring

BTW, the time to install starts when you actually start taking stuff apart, time spent with the cc sitting on the bench doesn't count :lol: Pretty sure the record is mine since I seem to be the only person competing.

Well the trick seems to not have the bands too lose, they help the rubber boots keep their shape when they go on. The heat was definitely a big help. Two of the boots would go, the other two would not go on on their bottom. I finally figured out that these were the two boots with the loosest clamps. Tightened all four clamps right up to before the point where they would start to clamp (err, well you know what I mean I hope), reheated, and they popped right on.