Airbox Questions

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

double_entendre

Reaction score
Well I haven't had time yet to introduce myself--bound to happen sooner or later--but I've got the bike and a few questions as I begin the tinkering process.

The bike is a 2005 model, no ABS and I'm in the process of installing a Blue Sea distribution block under the seat. In the process of taking everything apart, it looked to me like there was a ton of wasted space under the seat. Looking closer, it seems that the airbox intake is "funneled" into that "wasted" space and that my thought of putting in a custom, larger storage box was foiled. :angry:

It seems to me that the potential is there to remove the two pieces of ducting that let the airbox draw air from that empty space so that it just sucks straight into the airbox rather than with the two 90* turns. I'd think that this wouldn't have any significant impact on the volume of air taken in and that the only real impact would be increased intake noise. And freeing up that space for a storage box. :)

Is that the case?

Thanks!

Bob

Rancho Cucamonga, California

Air box modifications have been discussed here before and what I gathered as the general concensus was to leave it alone if you are trying to make more power. In your case however, trying to make more room might be entertaining, if you don't mind losing some ponies and hopefully it doesn't open the intake system up to water intrusion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why not use the 'wasted space' under the seat where the 'Tool box'

goes?

Many have tried to modify the airbox, ALL have failed.

Oh I don't even mean to modify the airbox. It's just that the airbox inlet is in that empty spot under the toolbox, so if I want to use that for other purposes (specifically, a Blue Sea fuse box and whatnot) I'd potentially be messing up air intake. Not good.

Bob

Rancho Cucamonga, CA