Albuquerque to DC and Back

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When you get to D.C. You'll understand what a great idea stopping in Roanoke was.

At least you are getting caught up on all your music listening, right?

Last edited by a moderator:
Zilla, you don't mention what year the Screaming Eagle is but there were a couple of recalls on them related to clutch issues in the last few years. I can't recall all the details from when I worked for a dealership but it could be related. That whole clutch/compensator/primary assembly is some antiquated technology right there!

I once had a guy tell me that the best Mexican food was in Chicago.... same reaction as yours, 'yep, sounds good, you have yourself a good day sir....'

And you have to love what Harley has done in marketing, lots of people 'believe' that they are the king of the road and the best to be had.

He is asking a lot of that Harley trying to ride it ALL the way to DC. I had some mighty fine Mexican food in Marion Virginia when I rode back to EOM. Reminded me of home in California...weird, huh.

Lovin' this ride report. Thanks for posting each day. Yer better at it than I am. Wondering if yer Harley buddy will be leaving his bike at some dealer so he can watch the scenery from the back seat with one of you guys (to get home) -- and then fly back for his bike in a week or two once they put Humpty Dumpty back together again.

But I do hope he makes it without incurring any big damage. "I'm just gonna drive it" doesn't sound like a very good (Harley) idea.

Hey, while you're in DC, maybe you could pass along some advice to the folks on Pennsylvania avenue. Maybe some better quality donuts would help? I'll leave it at that in interest of NOT jackin' your thread and NOT stepping out of forum "bounds."

Hope ya have a royal blast.

Bugnatr, you mentioned EOM. I was there last fall as well. I can't go anywhere as the FJR is in pieces due to an EOM "get off" last fall. Was granted a great price by our own 101stpathfinder for a couple fairing pieces I needed -- to replace some scratched up tupperware on my galaxy blue. It should be back together soon: damage was minimal.

Keep it coming, we're lovin' the report.

Gary

darksider #44

Oh, Day 4 is/was a doozie!

So, we had beakfast at our hotel, and it was still raining, so, we donned the rain gear and headed out. Not the coldest or hardest rain I have ever ridden in, but still, leaving in rain sucks. Haha...The temp maxed out around 52, but hovered around 43/44 most of the morning, so the ride was cold and wet. I had my rain gear on, and my warm gloves, along with the grip heaters, and I was fine.

We were forced onto a motorcycle detour onto 11. We made the right turn from the off ramp, and immediately, some clown in a yellow Mustang pulled out from a parking area on our right, crossed our lane, making a left and going the opposite direction of us. The problem with that was he pulled out in front of the lead rider. I'm amazed Todd missed him. If we had been going 10 mph faster, they would have crashed.

We made our only gas stop 120 miles into it. On the 64 exit off of 81, there is a Shell Station that is like this little country store. The awning over the pumps actually went over the parking lot to the front of the store. AWESOME, dry and out of the rain! They had good coffee, and what looked like really good snacks, like hand-wrapped fried blueberry pies. I should have bought one, but I had just eaten.

Of course, the MC gear sparked up some conversation with the older locals that were hanging around at the tables inside. I have to say, I love old people. They are cool as shit. They're smart and say what they think. So, anyway, I got asked where we came from and where we're headed. I got a couple gasps of disbelief when I said we rode from Albuquerque, but the real fun started when I said we were riding to DC. This older gentleman immediately warned, "Don't take that freeway if you want to live." Ok, I'm not a panicker, but this guy was dead serious, and this was the second time I'd heard this in 3 days. The Harley guys in Fort Smith said the same thing, and no offense, but I don't really care what Harley guys think about riding conditions. Haha, is that mean? I mean, I heard them, I just didn't give what they said much credence, until that man repeated it. He suggested 302 or something, and warned more than once to be super careful of the truck traffic if we decided to stay on 81. Turns out, he was both right and wrong.

I walked out and told the guys what I was told, and they, with their 1600 miles of experience, brushed me off. They didnt want to get lost or held up, and I partially agreed, so I hold some blame also. We got back on the freeway, and it turned out the trucks on the freeway were fine. It was the standard cage drivers that were murderous pricks. I think they were all related to the yellow Mustang guy!

1st, a guy in a Durango moved left, nearly hiting the lead rider. Todd swerved and the guy saw him, and swerved back to his lane. Paul was second, and made it worse when he motioned to the guy to pay attention. Well, Durango driver got mad and then had a short period of pacing the two lead bikes, while cussing and yelling from behind a closed window. Then, he swerved to the right and got off. Yay him!

A short few miles later, we were cooking along in the left lane and the three lead riders passed a Black Ford Focus. As I was at his driver door, he just changed lanes. I saw him coming, so I was good, but I laid on the horn. He never even responded, he just took the lane. I have a LOUD horn. I moved around his rear to his right and passed him. He got a good sight of my middle finger as I pulled in front. He didn't care, he just continued to putt along 10MPH slower than we were, in the left lane, for no reason. There wasn't anyone around to pass.

Finally, same scenario, the first 3 bikes in the left lane make a pass, and here comes a white SUV from the midle lane. That guy heard my horn and nearly shit himself. He didn't get a finger, just a raised hand, like, "WTF? Pay attention." Funny thing about him was, he was looking at his passenger when he started the lane change. I was watching him. Never even looked. Then, he kept his spot and continued on behind us. Again no reason to changer lanes. Werid.

So, Paul and I made it to his mother-in-law's and she is super cool. Has a really nice house. We unpacked some stuff and decided to get his bike over to Patriot Harley Davidson, where it was originally bought by his late dad. So, I followed him to Patriot HD.

It took me a second to park and find the right door, so when I went in, Paul was already talking to the service guy behind the counter. Right off the bat, I knew something wasn't right, because that guy was being an ASSHOLE. He was going off about how he had a bunch of police bikes to fix, how he was backed up for two weeks, and how he did not have a tech available to listen to Paul's bike. He explained how he didn't care that we are 1800 miles from home and Paul was no more special than his worst customer, best customer, or best friend. Paul was keeping calm and said, "I just need someone to look at it, to tell me if I can get home. We're leaving Monday." Smart-ass service guy says, "Well maybe you're not." That was it for me. I KNOW how I am and know I'm an asshole, and know I am capable of saying mean things. I didn't want to get blamed for us getting kicked out of the dealership, so I just walked outside and started checking email and this thread.

Then I heard Paul say, "I'm fucking sick of your shit!!" He more yelled it than said it. So, I ran in to see the asshole and 2 service guys gathering around Paul. Now, what you don't know is Paul is 6'3" and built like a bull with big meat-hook hands. I'd fight him if I had to, but I wouldn't like it. Since it looked like it was going to get physical, I did the mature thing and picked which guy I was going to hit first. I knew they weren't expecting me, and I was gonna break some shit. Well, lucky for mine and Paul's jobs, and those guy's physical well-being, some nice woman came out of nowhere and asked if she could help. She took Paul to the showroom and had him explain what was going on. She went outside, listened to the bike for 3 seconds and immediately had a tech come out and get it.

Initially, that guy said the noise was "normal," which was BS. Then he took the bike into the shop, and then took it on a ride. He rode it right back into the shop and put it on a lift. Last we heard, they were checking tolerances and spacing. Sounds like the part the first dealer replaced may have required the replacement of another part, so they'll call Paul when they have more. That lady guaranteed Paul it would be ready before our departure time on Monday.

We ran into a guy that is the Rep for all the HD police bikes in this area, who retired from a highway patrol in a state I don't remember. Hooked us up with a mug, and we yapped for a while.

HD just called and said the bike is fine, the parts just weren't torqued correctly. I call BS, but if it gets him home, I don't care.

So, we're in Herndon VA. May go ride some tomorrow. On Sunday, I'm supposed to meet FYB, for a good day of FJR riding. Sweet!!

Still no phone pictures. You know why? Because I suck, and it was cold and wet. Sorry!!

Oh, AND, Chuck, the HD with issues is a 2014 110 Screaming Eagle. Apparently the problem he has is pretty common. Paul says it's all over the HD Forums.

I knew this was going to be good.

Are you going to the Candlelight Vigil Saturday night 8 pm? It is at the National Mall between 4th & 7th streets.

Danny and the Winslow Township PD guys rode the bicycles through the rain all day yesterday coming through Maryland. They left out of Jersey on Wednesday and arrived at the Memorial Wall this afternoon.

Sounds like you are already enjoying the swamp...
rolleyes.gif

I knew this was going to be good.
Are you going to the Candlelight Vigil Saturday night 8 pm? It is at the National Mall between 4th & 7th streets.

Danny and the Winslow Township PD guys rode the bicycles through the rain all day yesterday coming through Maryland. They left out of Jersey on Wednesday and arrived at the Memorial Wall this afternoon.
Yes, Our plan is to be at the vigil tomorrow, and then the service on Monday morning. Should be cool. I have a friend I went to the academy with, 20 years ago in 1997. He joined the FBI around 2006. He lives in Manassas, so I'm probably going over there tomorrow. We were best friends, and I haven't seen him since 2005. He's going to be working on his truck, so I'll hand him beers while he cusses.

When you get to D.C. You'll understand what a great idea stopping in Roanoke was.At least you are getting caught up on all your music listening, right?
Haha...I still haven't been INTO DC, but all everyone does is talk about what a nightmare the traffic is. I hope I don't find out. Fred, you hit the music thing on the head. I loaded a bunch of new stuff from Amazon onto my Garmin's SD card before we left, but I'm hearing music I can't remember the words to. It's kind of funny hearing stuff I forgot existed.

Might not can believe everything in the forums, but the bs out there on the highways sure seem real enough. If only you guys had some red and blue lights on those bikes.

Might not can believe everything in the forums, but the bs out there on the highways sure seem real enough. If only you guys had some red and blue lights on those bikes.
Ha, I was thinking the same thing. Good thing AJ's not "on the clock." There'd be several numb-skulls learning some expensive lessons if not spending some time behind bars to help them consider their ways.

Gary

darksider #44

Well, I fell off this wagon yesterday. The ending was a cluster, so I didn't get around to typing anything.

So, day 5:

I went to the academy back in 1997. During that time I became best friends with a guy named Dennis. We hung out, we were roomates for a bit, we knew each other's families, I was with him the night he met his wife, we hunted together, worked together, partied together, rode motorcycles together, went skiing together, and we had each other's backs. Then I moved back to Albuquerque, and he joined the FBI. His going away party was in 2007, and that was the last time I saw him. For some reason, I forgot he is assigned to DC. I remembered on Friday, and called him up. He and his wife live in Manassas. So, the plan was to ride to his house and hang out.

1st thing Saturday morning, we went to Patriot HD and picked up Paul's HD. It sounded great. We both think they found more than they are admitting to, but who cares? It's fixed...so far. Paul went to meet an old friend, and I did the same.

Dennis and I did some major catching up, and I got to see his pretty wife before she had to go to work. She also works for the FBI, in a different capacity. He still has the Weimaraner dog I helped him find 16 years ago. I can't believe she is still alive. She has hip dysplasia and is obviously old. Kind of broke my heart, because we were pals when she was a puppy. She's a BEAUTIFUL dog. His other little Hound he got shortly after is still there too. She's very gray, but still playful. Those dogs bring back memories. The Weimaraner is almost 17. Dang!

We talked about our dads and how his needs to take better care of himself. Dennis was one of my friends my dad really liked. Especially when we went hunting, because Dennis is a clown. Now he's into building custom cars, and had a ChevyII Nova Wagon in his garage he's in the process of slamming. It's going to be COOL when it's done.

He took me to eat at an Oyster Bar in Manassas for lunch. We got a dozen oysters on the half-shell, along with food. The oysters were huge, and amazing. We used to do that all the time. Then we went to a cool sports bar, and we tried a couple of their beers. We used to do a lot of that also. We remembered we have been friends for 20 years, but haven't talked for just over 6, since my dad died. That's stupid. He's on my list to call every week. I miss my friend a lot.

So, we hung out, checked out his projects, talked about my kids, our parents, siblings, his dogs, our work, and our lives in general. We forgot to take a picture for his dad.

Dennis' parents are two of the nicest people I ever met. They took me in and treated my wife and I like family. His dad still asks Dennis about me, and when Dennis called his dad earlier in the day, belated for his birthday, his dad asked for a picture. Haha...oops. His dad was a butcher at a large NM grocery store when I met him. He ended up knowing I grew up on a ranch and like good meat, and my wife and I didn't have a lot of money at the time, so he would order special cuts, mark them down, and sell them to me, dirt cheap. I got some of the best steaks of my my life from his dad. I miss his parents also. We need to invite them to the lake.

After time flying by way too fast, I had to come back to where I'm staying so Paul and I could get to the candlelight vigil held on the national mall. We figured an hour was plenty of time to get there and meet our group, so we left 1.5 hours early. We parked at a Metro Station and went to board a train.

Ok, what's with people in DC and not putting signs on anything. It's like they think we all live here and know our way around. They need to dumb it down some. Sheesh. We got passes and then this German girl, who spoke a little bit of English asked for help. On a scale of 1-10, she was a 15. Her accent added another 6 points. However, she was probably young enough to be my daughter, the guy with her, boyfriend, brother, looked a hair younger. We helped them out and then got on the Silver line.

Turned out they were doing track maintenance, so the silver line only went the Ballston stop. We had to get off and catch the Orange train, which was super easy. We got told the Orange only went to Rosslyn, and we'd have to catch a Blue line to get to the Smithsomian stop, so we jumped off at Rosslyn and the cluster began. First, the Blue train was 15 minutes out. Then, 5 minutes later it was 21 minutes out, and the trains had a power outage. Then we found out the Blue and Orange trains both stop at Foggy Bottoms, where we'd have to take a bus to another stop and get back on the train. So, we got off the moving train to wait for the delayed train, for no reason. The vigil started at 8pm, and at 8:15, we were still waiting for a train. We said screw it and went up top an caught a cab. Best decision all night. Cost us $12 and took us right where we needed to be.

Intech, Bob, FYB, was there with his nephew. I never saw him, but I think we we within 25 yards of each other. Paul and I also realized, we should have rode. The guys blocking traffic would have let us into the closed off mall area and let us park, 100 yards from where we needed to be.

We found our guys, stayed for the reading of the names, and then had to leave. It was getting late, and the trains were only running until midnight. While walking back to the trains, we were told we could badge our way onto the trains for free. Sure enough, when we got to the service shack, we showed them comission cards and they opened the gates. Turns out they don't want visiting cops and their families paying for transportation. Nice.

Until...We caught the orange train back to some closed station, and had to get off to catch a shuttle bus to the Foggy Bottoms station. ALL the lines were closed between those areas. The bus ride took FOREVER. We got off the bus and followed the crowd to the station, becasue, again, there were no effing signs. We got back on the orange train, then transfered to the silver train, and eventually got to our stop. It took us a minute to find the car, because, no signs, but we found it and drove home. That was a LOT of time traveling.

Then, I caught up on some work stuff that needs done, and I went to bed because I had to be up early to meet FYB. We planned a ride for this morning. Badass! That's a whole other post. I'll preview it by saying, I had a blast!