Allowing Test Ride when selling?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob R

Reaction score
Knowing first hand how expensive parts are to replace when bike is dropped as well as how fast, topheavy the bike can be to someone that is not familiar to a FJR, question is:

Should one allow a potential buyer ride an uninsured bike? I did google search and only found some answers on other forums. If a buyer has MC insurance, would the bike they are testing be covered for an accident when test riding a bike?

Rob R

Rob

If I'm not mistaken, an un insured bike is not allowed on the street...

At least not here in Kalifornia

If it is insured, your best answer will come from your insurance agent.

I wouldn't count on the potential buyer's insurance covering your bike, sounds too chancy to me.

:)

Brodie

Good luck with that one. The answer to that for me would be Hell No. They can test drive it after the money is in my hands and on they're way home with the bike.

Knowing first hand how expensive parts are to replace when bike is dropped as well as how fast, topheavy the bike can be to someone that is not familiar to a FJR, question is:Should one allow a potential buyer ride an uninsured bike? I did google search and only found some answers on other forums. If a buyer has MC insurance, would the bike they are testing be covered for an accident when test riding a bike?

Rob R
Depends on the locale, but in general, no. Insurance insures a particular bike, not a rider. When the insurance lapses, nobody is covered. Even if the insurance was in force I would not let a prospective buyer test ride a bike of mine until I have his cash in my hand.

My standard reply is: If you should decide on the day that you buy it that you don't like the way it runs/rides I will refund your money in full and the deal will be null and void. It's never happened.

My standard reply is: If you should decide on the day that you buy it that you don't like the way it runs/rides I will refund your money in full and the deal will be null and void. It's never happened.
That makes sense...

Or hold cash in your hand during a 'test ride'.

I sold a bike once where the goober hit the street, full throttle, crossed up... Wadded it up not maybe 200 yards down the street...

I ran down to check on him, and he says "I'll take it!"....

that is a pickle, no doubt about it. How many actual buyers VS test pilots will come to visit an FJR? If you were selling a bmw S1000RR, there is no question

I personally would never buy a bike I haven't tried. I've never had an issue with this policy as a buyer or seller.

imho, I'd consider a few factors

1) did he or she show up on a bike?

If no, forget it

If so, the size / power of that ride, along with glancing at his or her rubber will give you a cursory idea as to whether or not you should worry about the potential buyer dropping it while tooling around your neighborhood.

Also, the age / condition of that ride can be revealing, if you care to cleverly pick their brain as to how long they've owned it.

2) did they show-up on a V-star or an R1? (self-explanatory)

3) the most important question: do you feel lucky punk? Well, do you?

4) establish what 'a test ride' means to that person. Just around the neighborhood to warm it up, run it through a few gears, IE genuinely wanting to just 'feel' the bike running is pretty reasonable for a prospective buyer

Good luck with the sale

Last edited by a moderator:
I won't, but some people do. I don't want a busted up bike or legal problems. I recently sold a BMW and the buyer wanted to ride. I just said I have a nice retirement and for what the bike is worth, it can sit in the garage before I do that. Most cycle shops won't let you test ride. I was being honest about the bike's condition, he knew BMW's, and purchased it anyway. Also, I drove the bike to the tag office and went in with the purchaser to sign it over, so it's all legal.

I purchased my FJR a little over 3 yrs. ago, 2 months old, with 700 miles on it. I showed up to look at the bike on my BMW and riding gear. He offered me the keys almost immediately for a test ride, without asking, which surprised me. I had already ridden a friends 06 FJR, so a test ride wasn't a big deal. I asked him later why he let me ride. He said I looked like an experienced rider with the BMW and riding gear.

I sold a bike once where the goober hit the street, full throttle, crossed up... Wadded it up not maybe 200 yards down the street...I ran down to check on him, and he says "I'll take it!"....
lmao! :laughingsmiley:

my bike will be insured until the registration is transferred

and I don't necessarily make a hard and fast rule on test rides. I kinda go with my gut.

first, I want to see his driver's license and check that it's valid with motorcycle endorcement

I encourage the potential buyer to ride HIS bike to come examine mine...want to see his proof of insurance just for my peace of mind and credibility...

and up front, if sold, ask them to leave a deposit before coming back to take it home

after the agreed purchase, generally, we stop at a local DMV registration office and transfer the title in my presence...I'm more worried of it being in my name for who knows how long after the buyer takes delivery.

sometimes the most I'll do is take the potential buyer for a ride as pillion to demonstrate the bike

again, I go with my gut and hopefully I'm not desparate to sell...I've never been when it comes to my motorcycles for sale

hope this helps some

Florida does not require MC insurance unless the bike is financed- required by lender. Unlike car insurance that can be transfered like car rental, I guess MC insurance is bike specific. Even if a contract was signed that the tester was responsible for damages, if they dumped the bike collecting for damages would not be easy.

I guess would be best to decide on a case by case basis. If a person showed up with some riding gear, MC license with a decent car or bike then would consider ok for short duration ride. If someone dropped them off and left...... no

There really are some legal things to consider allowing a stranger to ride for a test.

Quick answer; No way.

You can demonstrate it. You can take it to the mechanic of his choice and have it checked out at his expense. But the last thing you want is to have the bike crashed (insurance or none) which reduces the resale value of the machine.

In Michigan, a licensed person (which means someone who has a motorcycle endorsement on the drivers license) is covered by your motorcycle insurance unless.... they're specifically excluded. Usually, a person under the age of 25 would be specifically excluded unless your insurance company already covered them on a different motorcycle. Of course, damage or theft to the motorcycle is fully covered. Whenever I sold my motorcycles, I offered 30 minute warranties so that I would be holding the purchase price while the prospective buyer took their test ride.

When I purchased my FJR1300, I flew to Washington D.C. to pick up the bike and never bothered with a test ride. I just spent a couple of hours having coffee at the seller's home while he explained all the things that he'd done to the bike, gave him a Cashier's Check and rode home to Michigan. Very easy transaction

I'll let anyone test ride my bike after they give me full price in cash first.

In other words, no way will I let anyone (stranger) ride my scoot for sale.

A dealer has insurance, etc, I'll always want to test ride used bikes from them.

A dealer has insurance, etc, I'll always want to test ride used bikes from them.

Nope. Never. No way. Not even a little bit. I don't think so.
so wait.....

If you're listing an FJR and I took the time to book an appt, ride out to your place to check out your bike for sale and I'm interested...... you're both gonna say no if I want to check out her workings? Oops, you already answered that question.

I wouldn't take it personally (because you don't know me) but I would walk away from a seller based solely on that position. Call me a dick but it's my prerogative as a buyer, just like I'd think you're a anal for refusing me the test ride. (what do you get when you put 'dick' and 'anal' together? best just walk away)

I'm not saying anyone's right or wrong but there are clearly (at least) 2 different schools of thought on this subject.

I've never been refused a test ride at a dealer or private sale.... but that's up here. I guess we're more chill, up here in the great white north

et tu, Bram?

Nope. Never. No way. Not even a little bit. I don't think so.
so wait.....If you're listing an FJR and I took the time to book an appt, ride out to your place to check out your bike for sale and I'm interested...... you're both gonna say no if I want to check out her workings?

I wouldn't take it personally (because you don't know me) but I would walk away from a buyer based solely on that position. Call me a dick but it's my prerogative, just like I'd think you're a anal for refusing me the test ride. (what do you get when you put 'dick' and 'anal' together? best just walk away)

I'm not saying anyone's right or wrong but there are clearly (at least) 2 different schools of thought on this subject.

I've never been refused a test ride at a dealer or private sale.... but that's up here. I guess we're more chill, up here in the great white north
Yep!
Oh well walk away. I had a guy almost kill himself on a dirt bike I was selling. Guess who would get sued if he crashed? BINGO! Me! I've let other buyers ride bikes of less value and power, and dirt bikes. I've also run into other sellers when I was buying with the same philosophy. I was bummed but respected that. Oh well.

Yep!
Oh well walk away. I had a guy almost kill himself on a dirt bike I was selling. Guess who would get sued if he crashed? BINGO! Me! I've let other buyers ride bikes of less value and power, and dirt bikes. I've also run into other sellers when I was buying with the same philosophy. I was bummed but respected that. Oh well.
ding ding ding ding.... (a bell went off)

I'm sorry because it IS completely different up here. Quebec has no fault insurance so if I let you ride my uninsured, un-plated, illegally modified bike while you're drunk & strung-out on acid, without a valid permit and you run through the front window of a daycare center........ I'll surely get a ticket of some type but I aint gonna lose the farm over it.

2 main differences

1) The quebec govt is who everyone sues for any injuries related to accidents on a Quebec road.

2) If there's any damage to vehicles in quebec, regardless of who's at fault, each driver's insurance pays for damages to their car

so there's no 'suing' anyone

sorry - not the same situation so I withdraw my comment

The insurance issue varies widely. In OR the primary insurance is always the vehicle owner's, regardless of who is riding the bike or driving the car. If that insurance coverage runs out on a claim, they might go after the actual rider/driver, but not always.

The test ride issue, well it's kind of funny. Back when you had to order your bike and wait 6 months to get it there were virtually no test rides because bikes simply did not exist at most dealerships. All of you guys that wouldn't allow a test ride are the same guys that were bitching then that you wouldn't buy a bike w/o one from the dealer. ;)

It's just a bike. I've let several people thinking about buying a FJR ride mine. A couple only test sat, too scerred to go ride it. If someone is that conscientious, they will likely fix any damage. At this point a couple more scratches don't matter to me. Some of you still have pretty bikes with low mileage. :lol: After 100k, it's just not that big a deal.