Almost an FJR owner...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Excellent choice, if I don't say.  The first time you throw a leg over and ride it more than 15 minutes, all will be right with the world.

Now - this is not intended to be a downer, but you should consider some basic preventative maintenance while the weather is crapola anyway.  If you know how to hold a screwdriver and have even the slightest inclination of mechanical things, you can do all of this yourself, so do not dismay.  After all, if I can do it, anyone can.

Nothing weak about that if you know it's the right bike for you.  Had you passed it up you'd probably be comparing everything else to it and maybe kicking yourself.  Best of luck with it.

You made the right decision.  Trust me.  I mean, really, can you imagine coming out into the garage every day and seeing that putrid gray FJR?
HEY!

Okay, so no judging, but I caved and bought the red 2014 with 14500 miles on it.

guy that now owns a 2014 awesome FJR1300 that I pick up tomorrow. :)
Everyone loves that color.  Your new ride is barely broken in at that mileage.  I agree with other $$ comments in that, don't kick yourself.  My comparison is how much money does an average person spend each year for a damn smart phone? Right?  Happy riding in 2020.

Color is a very subjective thing.  I bought my 2014 ES brandy new, which Being a frugal Yankee is not something I am wont to do, but the bike just spoke to me.  It was the first year of the ES.  I went to my LBS in September ‘14 on the Yamaha demo ride day, and SkooterG was one of the Yamaha test ride leaders.

I actually went there with the intention of buying a Super Tenere ES, but test rode that and the FJR ES.  When I got back from the short test ride I walked into the dealership and signed on the dotted line for the FJR.  I probably paid too much.  But I wanted it, and I knew it was the exact right bike for me (I already owned an ‘05 at the time).  

Fast forward 5 1/2 years.  I am still deeply in love with this bike.  I haven’t had a lick of trouble with it.  The ES suspension is considerably better that the aftermarket GPS fork internals and Penske rear shock that I put on my ‘05.  The on-the-fly adjustability is a bonus when the road gets crappy.  Just dial in a little soft, then back to firm when things smooth out.  

You made a great choice.  I doubt you’ll be disappointed.  

Just a little update several months later. I've put about 6k miles on it since I bought it in December. Mostly on the 20 minute commute to work every day that it hasn't rained. I did take off on my longest ride ever from North Texas up to Southwest Missouri this past week. Went up through East Oklahoma to Talahina, then East on Highway 1 towards Mina Ark, where I cut North to Ft. Smith and straight up from there. In total I was on the bike about 7 hours. ...that last hour was BRUTAL.

There are very few things if any I do not like about the bike.

I don't like the look of T-rex guards, but I do believe I will purchase them so I can add a set of highway pegs. I absolutely need to be able to stretch my legs so my knees aren't bent all the time. Apparently that makes my knees hurt. I also will be ordering a custom seat soon. I'm thinking Corbin but there quite a few options out there. Plus my wife really wants me to add a heated back seat.

Loved every minute of long riding. I'm going to have to do more of that....

I also will be ordering a custom seat soon. I'm thinking Corbin but there quite a few options out there.
Think Russell or Laam.  Generally preferred to Corbin; unless you like a harder seat and one that is going to be a bit lower.

Saw your other thread and pic...nicely done! Be patient with the seat search and keep an eye on the forum. Used seats come up occasionally but you have to jump quick. Another option / seat alternative is refoam / recover with Seat Concepts. Pricing is getting steeper but still less expensive than full custom.

Enjoy the bike!

~G

When i want to stretch my legs on a highway run i just let them flop down and flow behind the bike, air pressure will keep them off the road and it helps a lot. Try it I find it works for me. 

That and deep knee bends, isometrics, and other stretchings for arms, legs, knees, elbows, shoulders, back, and neck. Start moving BEFORE you get sore/stiff.

Welcome. Man I love Texas, but my wife doesn't.....so I still live in Maine cause I like her. I hope you wrap up your deal on the FJR. 

I secured a deal on a 2014 and am waiting till winter gets done with her blow and snow and allows two wheels out again. Cheers. 

Okay, so no judging, but I caved and bought the red 2014 with 14500 miles on it.

Look, I tried to convince myself he wanted too much money for it. And he does.

I tried to tell myself, "just be patient". He isn't going to sell it in the middle of December or January and when he doesn't he will drop the price.

But I am weak. And I wanted the ES. And I wanted the rear factory painted top box. And I wanted a red one over the grey one.

So I may be weak, but I am a weak guy that now owns a 2014 awesome FJR1300 that I pick up tomorrow. :)
Most of our life hour glasses are upside down. Less grains on top than bottom. Good choice. Get living/riding/having fun.

Nothing weak about that if you know it's the right bike for you.  Had you passed it up you'd probably be comparing everything else to it and maybe kicking yourself.  Best of luck with it.

HEY!
HEY twice 👺

Just a little update several months later. I've put about 6k miles on it since I bought it in December. Mostly on the 20 minute commute to work every day that it hasn't rained. I did take off on my longest ride ever from North Texas up to Southwest Missouri this past week. Went up through East Oklahoma to Talahina, then East on Highway 1 towards Mina Ark, where I cut North to Ft. Smith and straight up from there. In total I was on the bike about 7 hours. ...that last hour was BRUTAL.

There are very few things if any I do not like about the bike.

I don't like the look of T-rex guards, but I do believe I will purchase them so I can add a set of highway pegs. I absolutely need to be able to stretch my legs so my knees aren't bent all the time. Apparently that makes my knees hurt. I also will be ordering a custom seat soon. I'm thinking Corbin but there quite a few options out there. Plus my wife really wants me to add a heated back seat.

Loved every minute of long riding. I'm going to have to do more of that....

Of seats. I have Corbin, Russell Day Long, Some guy out of Arizona (medical foam, re-shaped, BeemerDon's seat), Bill Maier, OEM.

Worst to best -

1. Corbin
  2. OEM
  3. Arizona guy
  4. Maier
  5. Day Long (by faaaar) the best. 
Note - for 'sporty' rides, no tank bag, top box, panniers.... the Maier seat is easier to shift hips when cornering. That's the only advantage. 

Latest posts