Alternate Windshield

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just purchased my first FJR (2017) and the Windshield is huge, not to my liking. I have been riding without Windshield or fairing for quite a long time and I’d like to replace it with a shorter one. Do you mind suggesting a shorter one (high quality) that I can mount for my daily use?
Thanks guys.

Hi @GoldFJR , do you know if the windshield on our bike is a stock one or an aftermarket one? Most folks (not all) on this forum prefer larger windshields for long distance rides and more wind protection. If your windshield is an aftermarket one, it is likely larger than the stock one. So, going back to stock may be something may want try (you can probably ask on this forum if anyone has a stock windshield, and someone who replaced it with a larger one may be able to offer the stock one to you at a good price.). However, if you are running a stock windshield, then there are not a lot of aftermarket options available. Cb-Bailey made a 17" windshield a while ago, not sure if they still do. Many forum members did their own reshaping of the stock shield though: https://www.fjrforum.com/threads/lets-see-your-custom-cut-windshield.137768/

Just purchased my first FJR (2017) and the Windshield is huge, not to my liking. I have been riding without Windshield or fairing for quite a long time and I’d like to replace it with a shorter one. Do you mind suggesting a shorter one (high quality) that I can mount for my daily use?
Thanks guys.
There was a thread you might find interesting about cut down shields made from original screens and also a very nice looking one made from a matt black garbage can from wal-mart I think. Search the words "made a fly screen"

Last edited:
Thanks guys.
The stock screen is a tiny joke. If you have a huge screen, it’s not the original. I’d look for an original screen. They come up for sale often.

Thanks guys for all your replies. I should have mentioned that the one I have is not stock. The one I have is a V Steam, which seems like a quality shield. I measured it in the middle and it’s 23 inches. Overall it’s 25. Being new to the FJR, I don’t know what the stock is.
I’m not confident enough to cut and I think I may keep it for the future. I have seen some tinted ones which I like, any suggestions?
Thanks again

I don't have experience with tinted windshields, so I can't make any recommendations for them.
If you are strictly using your bike during daytime, and for short trips in predictable weather, then by all means, get a tinted one. However, if you are planning on longer trips, or on occasional evening/night rides, I would advise against using a tinted shield unless it is so short that you can always see over it even if it is set to the highest position. At night, in rain, or fog, the last thing one needs is a tinted shield to further reduce the view of the road. Under those conditions, even here in Southern California it is really nice to raise the shield in to block the chill. So to me, clear is better. I would recommend wearing sunglasses on sunny days, or a helmet with a clear visor and a secondary tinted shield that you can flip up or down when needed instead.

BTW, the stock windshield should be about 18" high.

Last edited:
I don't have experience with tinted windshields, so I can't make any recommendations for them.
If you are strictly using your bike during daytime, and for short trips in predictable weather, then by all means, get a tinted one. However, if you are planning on longer trips, or on occasional evening/night rides, I would advise against using a tinted shield unless it is so short that you can always see over it even if it is set to the highest position. At night, in rain, or fog, the last thing one needs is a tinted shield to further reduce the view of the road. Under those conditions, even here in Southern California it is really nice to raise the shield in to block the chill. So to me, clear is better. I would recommend wearing sunglasses on sunny days, or a helmet with a clear visor and a secondary tinted shield that you can flip up or down when needed instead.

BTW, the stock windshield should be about 18" high.
Very good information Joe, I’ll mull it all over and make my decision. And thanks to all of you for your input.

I have a stock windscreen in good condition that I'll let you have for sixty bucks, plus shipping, unless you want to ride over to Tampa to pick it up.tempImagehzHByi.jpg

Thanks guys for all your replies. I should have mentioned that the one I have is not stock. The one I have is a V Steam, which seems like a quality shield. I measured it in the middle and it’s 23 inches. Overall it’s 25. Being new to the FJR, I don’t know what the stock is.
I’m not confident enough to cut and I think I may keep it for the future. I have seen some tinted ones which I like, any suggestions?
Thanks again
Just my opinion but FWIW, I'd save that V Stream and look for a used stock shield to experiment on with the cutting. The VS might bring you some bucks if you look to sell it or you might find yourself looking to use it later on. No sense cutting that up.

Just my opinion but FWIW, I'd save that V Stream and look for a used stock shield to experiment on with the cutting. The VS might bring you some bucks if you look to sell it or you might find yourself looking to use it later on. No sense cutting that up.
I cut mine with a saber saw. Took it to a plastics supplier to get a "factory" edge. Painted the inside gloss black with the right king of Krylon paint. 😎

Thanks again
Hello there, I'll swap my stock windshield for your VStream 23". Let me know if you change your mind. Thx

Depending on the height you're looking for VStream offers a "sport" windshield with dark tint. See additional information on RevZilla. I use the (middle) "sport touring" size year around here in the PNW... w/o FL heat and humidity!

Good luck!

~G