AMA Pro Racing in central New York

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I saw the Syracuse mile many, many years ago. Kinda' reminded me of good ole' dirt track stock car racing on 2 wheels. Agree, lots of fun and thrills!

Thanks for the reply, Ray. Since I didn't grow up with the internet, I sometimes forget what it can do. After I asked my question I just googled the name and found it. And the website. And saw it from outer space with Google Earth. Man, these new-fangled inventions!

I grew up in Syracuse, and way back then they had stock car races on the dirt track right behind the midway. After every deafening lap another half inch of dirt would settle on all the booths and rides. Boy, how fairs have changed! Like the motorcycle thrill show on the midway where the riders rode around and around on the inside vertical walls of giant wooden cylinders while the crowd watched over the top as the guy came within inches of the edge. And of course they always had the girlie shows with the barker and a couple of the girls outside drumming up business.

OK, getting off topic here. I was starting to get carried away with my memories.

1210194276-lghr17100_old-school-statler-and-waldorf-poster.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Dirt Track or "Flat Track" racing is making a resurgence.

The current crop of Moto GP riders has discovered that the skill set of riding on the dirt is helpful in riding their Moto GP bikes. https://amaproracing.com/flat-track/news/view/64173

The inclusion of Flat Track in the X-Games has also boosted the popularity with younger folks.

The fact that Kawasaki has beaten the ancient XR750 Harley Davidsons like a drum also helps.

Harley has gone to a new "Street" based powerplant.

Indian will enter the fray next year with an Indian Scout based engine.

Yamaha has a pseudo-factory effort as well, Babe Demese a really old school 80 year old "Racer" turned Tuner with his rider Dominic Colindres have put Yamaha on the map too. The Yamaha FZ7 based powerplant has produced right at 100 hp.

Flat track on a mile oval is like ballet and with five laps to go anything is still possible.

Check it out if you get a chance Next event is the Springfield Mile on September 4th https://amaproracing.com/flat-track/news/view/64240

Last edited by a moderator:
I was hoping to see the Ducati but it was not to be. It certainly is nice to other brands coming back to the sport.

I think the 450 class had something to do with the resurgence of flat track racing as well. It gives riders a low-cost way to enter the sport. It also brings a multitude of new brands with it.