An XS Odyssey and props to MadMike!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On the XS1100, there are 2 means of gas flow interruption. First, there is a petcock on the tank with "off-on-prime" positions. Then there is a vacuum operated valve (maybe 2?) between the tank petcock and the carburetors. The vacuum operated valves never did completely seal and the needle/seat in one of the carburetors would seep.
I know Ray rebuilt the carburetors but, as I noted, I never trusted things and always turned the main petcock to "off". IIRC, I had kits for both valves and gave them to Ray in one of the boxes of accumulated parts.

Ray, just chalk it up to the experience of owning a "classic"! :D
Ohh it's an experience all right :rolleyes: Wouldn't have it any other way tho B)

I did get rid of the leaking vacuum shut off valve (Octy) when I switched over to a standard tank. I also took the opportunity to rebuild both of the standard petcocks that were on the tank at the time. Good thing too, they needed it badly, and now they work beautifully. Unfortunately the standard petcocks do not have an 'off' position, just res-run-prime. They rely on vacuum diaphragms in the petcocks to keep the fuel from flowing. Works well unless you defeat the diaphragms by witching to prime :glare: Yea, it was totally my own fault.

On a bright note, I did take her out for a bit of a spin a few minutes ago, and it seems that no real harm was done. The clutch is acting a bit weird, but I suppose that's to be expected after sitting in a fuel bath for a week. Sounds good tho, and is running well again. I really don't care much for the 8 qt oil changes on an engine that only holds 3.5 qts.

My favorite thread on this board! GREAT progress on a fantastic bike! I love my FJR & ride it daily/year round, but my XS has my heart. Happy to say that out of the blue, my wife saw a pic of an old XS750 (triple) and decided SHE WANTS TO RIDE HER OWN! So I bought it and will start a similar restoration. Great thing is I also get to take care of some much needed upgrades to my beloved 79 Special which I have owned since 86!

Anyhow Silent, bike looks great, am going to read through your pics to get an idea what you did to improve brakes? That is my first concern. Ordered SS brake lines so far, need grippier pads, as mine are probably 10 years old on the 1100, and no idea on the 750. But a full fist brings a "MAYBE" I'll stop response ;-)

My favorite thread on this board! GREAT progress on a fantastic bike! I love my FJR & ride it daily/year round, but my XS has my heart. Happy to say that out of the blue, my wife saw a pic of an old XS750 (triple) and decided SHE WANTS TO RIDE HER OWN! So I bought it and will start a similar restoration. Great thing is I also get to take care of some much needed upgrades to my beloved 79 Special which I have owned since 86!
Anyhow Silent, bike looks great, am going to read through your pics to get an idea what you did to improve brakes? That is my first concern. Ordered SS brake lines so far, need grippier pads, as mine are probably 10 years old on the 1100, and no idea on the 750. But a full fist brings a "MAYBE" I'll stop response ;-)
Thanks for the good words B) and good luck with your project bike, and be sure to post up a thread for us! Hard to beat the old steel for character, even tho they aren't as fast, and don't handle as well as the newer bikes. The best thing I did for the front brakes was to change the reservoir to a newer style. Increase the braking 1000 fold! You can get the parts at MikeXS but don't tell him the parts are going on a non XS650! I went with standard brake lines instead of the SS, and stock pads over pads that will wear out the rotors faster. It's getting harder to find rotors for these old scoots. She doesn't stop like ABS, but she stops real good for an old girl.

WARNING! Thread resurrection in progress! WARNING!

Actually, yes. There is news to report.

I've sold the XS, and all the associated parts that went with it. The gentleman that bought it was an older man (late 60's) that adored XS11's, and since I wasn't giving it the riding time it deserved, I let him have it for what I had into it. Last I heard he was still riding it, and enjoying every minute with his new found friend!

I wish I had grabbed a pic of him and the XS, but alas I didn't have the forsight.

Too a good home.
good.gif