Announcing! FJR NERDS 2011

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fred W

1 Wheel Drive
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
We were going to wait until we had the web site up and running, but with the upcoming holidays, some Feejer folks may want to start making their vacation plans for next summer when schmoozing with family and friends in their Turkey-day tryptophan altered states.

To that end, here is the "official announcement", for your vacation planning purposes:

FJR - NERDS 2011

New England Riders Doing Stuff

(Riding and Drinking and Smoking! Oh my!! :eek: )

Aug 17th - 21st, 2011

Stowe, Vermont

Welcome to the first annual gathering of the FJR-NERDS. This event is a spin off from a small group of local New England riders who've gotten together each summer to ride in the mountains and "do things" over the past several years. Knowing how much we all love the great scenery and country roads of Northern New England, and what a great time we've had in the past, we decided that we really should expand the event in order to share our good fun with the rest of our FJR riding brethren from around the country.

This year's event headquarters will be the quaint village of Stowe, located in north-central Vermont. (www.gostowe.com) The event will run for nearly a full week. The "official dates" for organized activities will be from the morning of Thursday Aug 18th (arrive Weds PM?) through the evening of Saturday the 20th (departing Sunday AM?). But folks can definitely come in a day or two earlier, or stay later, and can come and go for as much or as little of the week's schedule as they want (or can tolerate)! One could arrive on Tuesday and not depart 'till the following Monday for the fullest NERDS experience!!!

We have made every effort to make NERDS '11 as cost effective a gathering as possible. Our motto is:

More NERDS Fun for Less Money!!

The hotel facility that we've made our arrangements with is the Commodores Inn and Resort. Our group rates are very reasonable, especially when considering the included full Vermont style breakfast buffet. And, by bunking up with a roomie or two (or three?) you can make it down-right Yankee Frugal! It would be hard for you to camp out for less $, but you are certainly free to do so if you want. The hotel's owner / operators are very bike-group friendly, and they will accommodate our needs and desires well.

A Vermont style, full country breakfast buffet is included in your room rates and is served each morning in the hotel's Lakeside dining room beginning at 7AM. For lunches you'll be on your own, but you'll probably be somewhere out on the road at that time. Lunch stop suggestions will be included in each of the ride routes.

We will be having an outdoor group Barbecue (weather permitting) on Friday evening, pond-side on the lawn. It's suggested that folks try to plan on being there at that time if possible. It's sure to be a lot of fun and the cost will be just $20 per person (includes all taxes and gratuity, but not drinks). We're planning on having some "community coolers" setup with beer and wine (suggestions welcome), and we'll just ask for you to drop a buck or two into a coffee can when you take one so that we can refill the coolers when they empty. Or you can always BYOB if you prefer. (The Inn just can't allow any BYO into the dining room due to their liquor license)

Dinner on other night(s) is available on premises at the hotel in the Lakeside Dining room, each evening from 5:30 to 9PM. Their New England Country buffet is just $16.95 per person ($22 total, including taxes and gratuity) or if you just want the Soup and Salad bar that's available for just $8.95 per person.

All dining (including the barbecue Friday) will be "pay as you go". You should also feel free to go out (in smaller groups) and explore some of the great dining opportunities available throughout Stowe village and up the Mountain Rd.

Since there will be no formal banquet, no sponsors, no door prizes, etc., there will be no event registration fees! All that you really need to do to attend this nerdly shin-dig is to call the Inn and make your own reservations.

The NERDS web page will be up very soon with all of the per night room / cost information and hotel reservation contact details and group rate code.

We will also be selling some "FJR-NERDS '11" long sleeve tee shirts to commemorate the inaugural event. The shirt designs are still being finalized. All details and ordering will also be provided on the website. So stay tuned to this thread for a link to the new NERDS web site as soon as it's ready. Should be in just a few weeks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am so all over this. VT100 one of my favorite roads. If you show up a day early we can go to Ben & Jerry's to celibrate my birthday!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm in. I've already started making plans.

I intend to leave Saturday and ride/camp my way

across NY, NH & VT to Acadia/Bar Harbor ME before

heading up to Stowe for a few days. ( T,F&S? )

Anyone interested in sharing a room in Stowe?

And if anyone would like to join me along the way

please let me know; I would really appreciate the

company around the campfire.

Robert

I may be required to make a choice between this event and Alaska in 2011. I need a new Mt. Washington sticker!

I may be required to make a choice between this event and Alaska in 2011. I need a new Mt. Washington sticker!
If you have the patience, hold off on Alaska until 2012 and combine it with CFR which will be in western Canada. That's what I'm planning to do if I can manage the time and money,.

Oh My God! Vermont is my (so far) favorite state for roads!

Might have to make me some plans!!
Aww, crap. If Howie's going there's no way I wanna go... :ph34r: You DO realize that they don't have manatees in Vermont, don't ya? 'Spose we could dress up Fred in a manatee outift, though. Just to make you feel at home and whatnot.

Too early to say for sure, but if we are able, Sooze and I will be there.

Fred, very nice format, very down to earth. Love it. I sure would like to make it, and I've pencilled it in a a definite maybe. Sounds like a blast.

Thanks guys.

Yes, you will notice that this one will be somewhat different in "flavor" than some of the other FJR group get togethers in the past. Very low key. Minimal commitment required. Very flexible. Also completely nerdly!! ;)

We will reveal all once the web site is up and running, but, for example, the hotel will only be taking a $50 deposit for your room reservation and it is fully refundable up to 24 hours prior to arrival. So if you made a reservation and then the weather is going to be completely crappy for the whole week, you could cancel at almost the last minute with no financial loss. The only thing that we will need to collect up front is if you want a tee shirt, and even that is 100% optional.

Hell, if you really wanted to camp out somewhere on the side of the road and just show up for the rides each day you wouldn't have to spend a dime. 'Course you might get a little hungry, or worse... thirsty!! :eek:

It's all about getting folks together and having some good fun. :thumbsup:

Oh My God! Vermont is my (so far) favorite state for roads!

Might have to make me some plans!!
Aww, crap. If Howie's going there's no way I wanna go... :ph34r: You DO realize that they don't have manatees in Vermont, don't ya? 'Spose we could dress up Fred in a manatee outift, though. Just to make you feel at home and whatnot.
Well, there's ALWAYS Champ....swimming somewhere between Burlington and Charlotte. :)

Humm... never been that far east. Do you guys drive on the right side of the road over there? Lane splitting Ok?(sorry just some Ca smart ass because we can type remark) Isn't tornado season is it?? What's crappy weather, just some rain?

Wow- gotta think this over, perhaps I could fly in and rent a bike to ride.

According to some Old Englanders, we New Englanders drive on the wrong side of the road (just like you Californicators).

No lane splitting or tornadoes here. Hurricanes are also highly infrequent this far north and generally that season starts in September. Yeah, by "crappy weather" I just meant rain. But in August rain is usually just afternoon thunderstorms, pretty brief, warm and tolerable.

Not sure what the bike rental opportunities would be. Maybe someone with some experience will pipe up.

According to some Old Englanders, we New Englanders drive on the wrong side of the road (just like you Californicators).

No lane splitting or tornadoes here. Hurricanes are also highly infrequent this far north and generally that season starts in September. Yeah, by "crappy weather" I just meant rain. But in August rain is usually just afternoon thunderstorms, pretty brief, warm and tolerable.

Not sure what the bike rental opportunities would be. Maybe someone with some experience will pipe up.
I was gonna make a snide remark to the effect of Aroostook's bike being available cuz he's a pansy, but decided not to so as not to defile Fred's hard work (which is greatly appreciated). Perhaps this may help, unless of course you just can't bring yourself to ride on the other dark side...

Bike rental

Here's another one, but this one is in Burlington......clicky