Announcing! FJR-NERDS 2012

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Left Stowe at 8:30 Sunday Morning. Put the bike to bed at 6:45 this morning, little over 1300 mile in 22 hrs. Think I'll get some sleep now.
Way to go!!! Was it you plan to ride straight thru, or did it just happen? It was nice talking to you this weekend.

I would like to add a picture to this thread, some of the real WINNERS of this event. Meet the Rally crew:

RallyMasters.jpg

L to R #2 finisher Mr Bill; team MarFJR; winning team FJReady (good job!); team Pepperell; Shakin; Charlie Hoss; team Geezer (with his daughter)

I would like to add the Rally Tool and public enemy #1, hated by everyone within ear shot:

PublicEnemy1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Damn, I though Russ and Sarah would hold up the THaPS trophy for the group picture!
Err, umm, -- what's that over Sara's right shoulder? :)

Between Rally stuff and all my rain gear my big camera stayed home, the picture I posted was a phone photo yielding less than sterling quality.

Trophy.jpg

Wow, good catch. It sort of blended in with the wallpaper or something. :huh:

So there you have it... The coveted 2012 THaPS trophy. Not sure Russ realizes yet how valuable (and rare) that may become in the future... ;)

Hopefully we have a higher rez version of this picture to share over on the THaPS thread along with the full rally results.

PS - I'll be sure to bring the air horn along to any future events to kick off the rides... B)

Rolled into home about 3:30 pm today, great weather for both travelling days. As everyone has said already, Big Kudos to all the disorganizers, you made this a fine event indeed. Good to see you all.

Arrived back home at about 2:30PM today. I had a great time. My most sincere thanks to Fred and Ed for such a wonderful rally. My friend Tim (on his Silver Wing) went in thinking he was an outcast, but everyone made him feel welcomed. He asked me to pass a thank you on to everybody. The food, routes, hotel, weather..... everything was perfect. Hopefully I can convince my wife to travel with me up to the 2013 NERDS event. Of course we'll have to drag Tim up there again also. Thanks to all and to Bust for the cool dog tags. I've gotta go now and finish annoying my dog with the NERDS cow and balloon. :)

Rolled into the wasteland of NW Indiana about 5 pm today after stopping off at my brother's (Amishfjr) house in Lancaster, PA yesterday. Kind of a bummer to slab 680 miles, ending in NW Indiana, after several great days at NERDS. Thanks to all the organizers, this is an event I will definitely try to make every year. Good to see some of the usual crew and meet some new guys.

Left Stowe at 8:30 Sunday Morning. Put the bike to bed at 6:45 this morning, little over 1300 mile in 22 hrs. Think I'll get some sleep now.
Damn, Karl... you animal!! I'm sure that you'll sleep well.

Hope you had some fun again this year. I think I saw you smile once or twice... so you must have been having a ball! ;)
Absolutely!

Fred/Ed or Ed/Fred did a terrific job putting this together.

NERDS 2012 was even better than last year. :yahoo:

Sherri and I slabbed it home on sunday, quick and uneventful,

but it was that much quicker to get back to reality and family life.

We enjoyed ourselves termendously, thanks to all that put in time to set this up.

It was good to see friendly faces and meet some new people.

Sherri enjoyed meeting everyone and hopes to do it again.

thanks Bust for the dogtags, sherri got a kick out of the "gravity part 2" tag

sorry you couldn't make it there heal up fast!

Peter

Back in Charlotte at 5:30 pm Monday. I know two days to cover a 1000 miles, I'm such a wuss.

Special Thanks to the Green Shirt Gang, well done folks and to Grace and Ed for hosting Tech Day.

I enjoyed great conversation with many. Got to experience the ride up and down MT. Washington.

Had pizza and beer in Quebec. Life is good.

Got home Sunday afternoon after leaving Saturday morning. Took the long route through Adirondack Park. I was moving pretty quickly down 8 when I came around a right hander and encountered a big black bear crossing the road (it was probably 200+lbs.). He was far enough ahead that I probably would have missed him anyway but I still grabbed a handful of brake. I'm not sure what it is with bears and me but this is the third one I've met while riding. The first one got the worst of our unexpected introduction. Farther down the road I came across two separate gangs of turkeys loitering on the road. I slowed down and gave them a beep of the horn and they moved off the road with that attitude-filled turkey walk they do. The rest of the ride home was uneventful slab except for the occasional LEO and the guy on the Harley that paced me for 100 or so miles.

What a great get together NERDS is. I wish I could have stayed longer. Thanks to all the people who put this on. I appreciate and truly enjoyed all your hard work. :yahoo:

Really glad that you could make it, Marty. Actually, really glad that everyone that came out could attend.

Hopefully you all got a sense of what this "NERDS thing" is all about. It's just a damn good party where we can also wake up and ride the bikes around some of the best scenic stuff that the Northeast has to offer. It's not about being a boy racer, track star hero. The roads down south allow a much larger degree of freedom for going fast, I think we all know that. But it's still a hell of a good time IMO. 'Course I'm wicked biased. ;)

And we especially appreciate you not bringing around any of your crotch tick friends. We've got enough problems to deal with up here without that stuff. :huh:

Got home safe and sound last night (Tuesday) Thanks to Fred, Ed and all the organizers for top notch gathering. Nice to see (and hug :thumbsupsmileyanim: ) old friends and make new ones.

Got home safe and sound last night (Tuesday) Thanks to Fred, Ed and all the organizers for top notch gathering. Nice to see (and hug :thumbsupsmileyanim: ) old friends and make new ones.

Great to see you and John again, Petey

And thank you forl the Canadian wampum! ;)

As is our regular thing, my wife and good pillion (known in the NERDS circle as TMJ) was wielding her digital camera for entertainment during each of the rides that we took during the NERDS week. Rather than forcing a metric butt-load of pictures at you all here, I've made up some short slide shows of each of our days' travels. I'll try to get in and annotate the pictures soon.

Monday - After a decadent breakfast at Parkers Maple Barn in Mason, NH, a few of us followed the Asphalt Junkies (Paul and Gina) on super ride up to Stowe. The surprise was that Gina, who generally dislikes riding on dirt roads, had us routed on more unpaved roads than even I would have dared to plan!! I also took the small group on a short detour to a really cool spot that I had discovered exists only recently, in South Woodstock VT, known as Calendar II. (you can google it up to find out what it's all about, but good luck actually finding it :p ) Somehow, even though there were dark and threatening clouds all day (all week really), we managed to stay out of any real precipitation. The clouds even made the ride a bit more cool and pleasurable.

Ride to Stowe slideshow

JosiesPictures010.jpg

Tuesday - There were only a handful of early arrivals to Stowe, most of whom decided to follow me around on the Islands and Northen Dacks ride. The beginning of this ride is up through Smugglers Notch (can't get enough of that little road) and then there was a nice surprise in that much of the roads between Jeffersonville and the Islands had recently been repaved, and traffic was pretty light.

Those who did this ride later in the week will recognize most of these shots. What a great ride it was.

Grand Isles and Northern 'Dacks slideshow

JosiesPictures140.jpg

Wednesday - was Tech Day at FJReds (see that thread here)

JosiesPictures164.jpg

Thursday - After kicking off the FJR-NERDS 2012 THaPS the disorganizes decided that we would have enough time to run out and knock off the Vermont Covered Bridges ride and still get back in time to greet the THaPS returnees. A couple of other riders jumped in and we had ourselves a good sized group of 10 bikes roosting around the dirt roads of Vermont. I had just recently tested the Bridges ride a week earlier, so I knew we could make it. I think everybody enjoyed the picturesque bridges and countryside, as well as the fun of riding in the boonies.

Vermont Covered Bridges slideshow

JosiesPictures224.jpg

Friday - We opted to run the Villages and Sweepers ride, partly after looking at the weather radar maps. The weather looked worse to the north and west, so if we ran a clockwise route around Vermont we should stay dry. And indeed we did. The roads were pretty darned good (except for the lower part of Rte 12, which is need of pavement refreshing).

Villages and Sweepers slideshow

JosiesPictures346.jpg

Saturday - For the same reason as the prior day, we opted to run the NEK ride, as the poorer weather was supposed to be to the south. Once you get over to the Connecticut river and start up Rte 102 and Rte 105 there is a long stretch of excellent high speed sweepers with a few tight curves thrown in to keep you on your toes. One nice thing about that ride route is the lunch stop is late, so you don't have as far to go on the home (sleepy time) stretch.

NorthEast Kindom slideshow

JosiesPictures453.jpg

TMJ's camera stayed stashed in the trunk on the ride home Sunday, so no slideshow from that. But it was mostly roads that we had ridden on before.

I'd like to express my sincere thanks to all of the NERDS 2012 attendees. I surely hope you all had as much fun as we did this year. It's always a great relief when we can pull off something like this and not have any real negative occurrences. No riders down!! Everyone now home safe and sound. No really bad weather to speak of. Not even any serious bike problems.

And I would be remiss not to mention the invaluable assistance of all of the other NERDS disorganizers:

The bluejags (John and Gail)

The ionbeams (Alan and Helen)

The Asphalt Junkies (Paul and Gina)

And most especially, FJRed and Gidget (Ed and Grace), without whose incredible contributions, NERDS would not be anything nearly as cool an event as it has been these past two years.

For us (TMJ and me) our personal reward is the huge satisfaction of having pulled this thing off again, and having people come and enjoy the New England area. Plus we like to ride and party as much as anyone else. What could be a better vacation than hanging out with ~80 of your best friends in Vermont? ;)

I guess that's a NERDS '12 wrap!! :yahoo:

Latest posts