Another Clutch Problem

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryoalty

Reaction score
I have a 2006 FJR with a clutch problem. You're speaking to somewhat of a noob, so bear with me.

When in Neutral, fully pulling in clutch lever, and gently kicking down into first gear, there is a slight CLUNKing sound. The gears do not perfectly mesh, and CLUNKs into gear. Occasionally, the gears makes a glug, glug, glug, then gently goes into gear with a clunk. This happens all of the time. Of which most of the time it is a gentle clunk and a small number of instances is quite rough.

The bike has 3100 miles. I bought it at 2800 miles, and has always made the CLUNK while going into first gear.

What's the problem? Many thanks. I've not taken it to the shop, wanting to get an honest opinion first.

This is not a problem. They ALL do that. Some have lowered the idle in an attempt to make it smoother, some start their bikes in gear to alleviate the issue.

One of the things I used to enjoy when first riding with other FJRs (in '03) was the sound of each bike "clunking" into gear as we prepared to take off.

Last edited by a moderator:
"gently kicking down into first gear"

Don't do that, kick it in quickly. and firmly........

Yep, as above, they all can do it, but U can help it. #1 Be ready to go before U start it. With gear on & in neutral & clutch squeezed, start it & instantly, within a second or so, shift (hard & quick) into 1st. Ride off & keep it under 3k rpm for warm up till at least 1 bar lites. #2 While riding, always shift to 1st before it stops rolling & keep clutch squeezed at stops & traffic lites. Both of the above will keep the clunk to a minimum. Try these & let us know how it works for U...Later,,, De :rolleyes: