Another Dragon wreck and death

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This bad news is always hard to hear about. My sympathies to all involved there. Best wishes, for the survivor.

. . . but calling for help over 24 HOURS ! Man, that rider must have been painfully hoarse, along with everything else that hurt. Maybe you can't prepare for every possible disaster, but this whistle can be a real life-saver, as in, your own. I know I have said this here before, but this thing is some good luck that fits into your pocket.

Storm Whistle

To your health,

Infrared

"According to the accident report, Polito's Victory cruiser was struck from behind by a BMW touring bike when he hit the brakes along the twisty road." Gotta give them cruiser riders lots of space. You never know what they will do or how hard they will brake before and during a curve.

Very sad story. As I am planing my first solo long distance ride, I am looking to do the dragon, and this story makes me feel the reality of the danger out there. The cruiser guy was being cautious and applied the brakes before the curve, but that caused him to be hit from behind, he is now dead because of it.

We had a rider in our group go off the road (Wolf Pen Gap) in North GA a few weeks ago. I had left the Spot in the cabin because I was "with the group" - this guy was last in the group, and would have vanished if it wasn't for the fact we had a chase car with us. I had stopped to take pics of the group as they went by, and came up on the scene just as the chase car was stopping to turn around. I had been solo for a few minutes while I caught up.

That's the last time I ride without it. You often don't choose when the hand of fate is going to reach out for you..

I should know better, but I ride with my spot in the top of tankbag. I've had getoffs and understand how FAR you can end up from your bike. These were getoffs with no significant injuries. Imagine a hard crash with injuries how much farther you might be, or how immobile you might be.

I will look at how to secure the spot on my person, since I probably don't have those spot straps anymore.

BTW, I am thinking the surviving rider rode the BMW that crashed into the Victory vision rider.

We ride potentially on the edge of disaster to one degree or another. Keeping track of the variables as best one can is paramount. Risk takers ride, nervous folks, or worse yet, oblivious folks, should consider safer recreation.

Very sad story. As I am planing my first solo long distance ride, I am looking to do the dragon, and this story makes me feel the reality of the danger out there. The cruiser guy was being cautious and applied the brakes before the curve, but that caused him to be hit from behind, he is now dead because of it.
We may never know what really happened, but the driver (BMW) that hits the rear of another vehicle is almost always found to be at fault.

I should know better, but I ride with my spot in the top of tankbag. I've had getoffs and understand how FAR you can end up from your bike. These were getoffs with no significant injuries. Imagine a hard crash with injuries how much farther you might be, or how immobile you might be.
I will look at how to secure the spot on my person, since I probably don't have those spot straps anymore.

BTW, I am thinking the surviving rider rode the BMW that crashed into the Victory vision rider.
I don't know what type of jacket you have. I have a Motoport. I had them sew a large loop on the upper right shoulder. The SPOT has a clear shot at the sky and it is easy for me to reach.

Both riders had been travelling together and this was the last leg of a trip they had taken together according to local reports. The Victory braked hard and the BMW did not have enough time to react sufficiently. Hopefully the Victory rider died on impact. I could not imagine what they went thru while lying there for 24 hours wondering if they will ever be found.

Riding together can be fun and create a lifetime of memories. One important lesson, is not to ride too close, or to try to keep up with a ride partner. Even on a long trip, everyone has to ride their own ride. This is a tragic outcome for a couple guys having a good time. Best wishes to family and friends and the survivor who will live with this the rest of his life. RIP to Polito.

Puppychow had a collision with a deer on the first Ruben Run in 2012. He got to his Spot, but it sent incorrect location information, and no one in the group was on his contact list. He devised a way to wear the SPOT and worked out the bugs on location and emergency recipients. We all learned some hard lessons from that one.