Another muffler question: Edit- got the answer-feel free to ignore

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

norcal rider

Reaction score
Found the answers to my question in my previous muffler post. Moderators feel free to delete this posting. I would if I could or knew how. Thanks.

Anyone here knowledgeable about mufflers? Esoteric and odd subject no doubt, but I've been wondering.....
Just installed a Delkevic headers back exhaust system on my 2003. Made me appreciate the brilliant simplicity of the OEM exhaust. Hated the Delkevic mufflers though. Lighter than the OEM mufflers by quite a bit, but really annoyingly loud. So, I took 'em off and reinstalled the stock mufflers. Much better. Kinda weird though,hearing the separation of the left and right. Not blended as nicely (to my ears) as the stock system.

Here's my question. Will the stock mufflers on the Delkevic headers (minus the cat) plug up, wear out faster, or fail sooner than the stock system which utylises the catalytic converter? Will more particulates be headed down stream to clog the mufflers? Someone mentioned in my previous muffler question that there are two types of baffling; stainless and glass mat, if I rememer correctly. What type of baffling does the stock OEM muffler use?
I know, weird thing to wonder about. Humor me, you muffler experts.
Thanks for reading.
Jay

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.