Another n00b

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pilot

Reaction score
Greetings. I stumbled upon this forum yesterday while researching the dark side. I bought my FJR last spring. It spent 6 months disassembled in the garage awaiting parts from my misguided attempt to do a simple fork seal replacement. Back on the road now and all is well.

The bike is a 2013 ith 48,000 miles I bought from a friend. He had a stroke and lost his vision so he was no longer able to ride. My other bike is inop and I needed something to ride.

I rode to Alaska in 2018 on a KLR. While in Yukon Territory, I met a guy on a FJR running a car tire. I know people have been doing that for a long time on Goldwings. Never occurred to me to do it with this bike. I'm still undecided about it.

I'm retired so I get to do some riding now and then. Looking forward to putting miles on this one.

Greetings. I stumbled upon this forum yesterday while researching the dark side.
I met a guy on a FJR running a car tire. I know people have been doing that for a long time on Goldwings. Never occurred to me to do it with this bike. I'm still undecided about it.
First and foremost - welcome

as for darkside - Depends on your riding style and priorities.
I was using my '08 (now around 95K miles) for SoCal commuting (can't stand sitting in traffic), and have a spare set of wheels, having one rear wheel be a CT made sense (I had previously test rode a fellow riders' dark-sided FJR.. and though different was easy enough to adjust to). Here I am 35K+ miles later... same rear tire with little wear on it. for my use - wonderful.
though beware extra weight of CT and potential impact on rear-shock (not sure if I simply got unlucky or if 2X the weight was more than '08 stock rear shock could handle??)... don't know... don't really care all that much .. I'm sticky with CT for the time being... switching rear wheels, taking my time would take about 20-30 minutes (allowing plenty of futzing around time)