Another no start...well starts after a few pushes of the button

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Starter motor doesn't know whether or not the fuel rail is charged. It should always turn provided gear/side-stand/clutch are suitably positioned.

Could that quieter noise be electrical arcing?

Last edited by a moderator:
If the fuel pump is coming on when you push the starter button then the switch on the handlebar is working fine. The key bit of info is to determine if the starter relay solenoid is clicking when you push the button but the engine doesn’t turn over. Also, is it possible that the starter is spinning but the starter clutch is not engaging? That would be a pretty loud whirring noise from the starter motor but no engine turnover.

I was out of town so haven't had any more time to troubleshoot. Probably won't until this weekend. I did find out that if I stand on the right side of the bike and listen very closely to determine what is going on, it fires right up. :).

I was out of town so haven't had any more time to troubleshoot. Probably won't until this weekend. I did find out that if I stand on the right side of the bike and listen very closely to determine what is going on, it fires right up. :).
Sounds like the fix has been found!

I just replaced the starter on an 04 that the owner was saying she thought she heard the fuel pump charge when the starter button was pressed. Actually it was the starter motor spinning, but dragging so much it was not fast enough to engage the starter(mechanical). It was also drawing over 100 amps. Replaced the starter and it works fine now.

Thats good info. I never realized that a sprag clutch mechanism like the FJR uses was particularly speed dependent, but I guess I could see how it might need some centrifugal force to get it to engage. I will certainly keep that tid-bit in mind going forward.

Last edited by a moderator: