anti-seize

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newfie Bullet

Reaction score
Is it really necessary to use anti-seize when replacing spark plugs? I plan to replace my standard plugs with Iridium plugs, and leave them in for about twice as long.

What about using silicon dielectric on the boots?

I always use anti-seize although there are plenty of people out there who believe it is OK not to and that is probably fine. I do go by the rule of thumb that you reduce the torque values by ~25% if using anti-seize or any lubricant for that matter on threads or you might find yourself in a tough situation.

And yes, to the dielectric grease on the plug contacts

When I was a young lad as an A&P mechanic I would use anti-sieze EVERY time we installed plugs. This was primarily because aviation engines go through such temperature & moisture extremes that corrosion could become a very serious problem. However, on my vehicles, I do not add any anti-sieze...but I probably should.

Just my $0.02 worth

Cheapest insurance...'Better safe than sorry".

I had a plug stick in an aluminum head once. I had to pull the head to repair the stripped threads. Now I always use anti-seize on spark plugs. Use it sparingly and don't get any on the end of the plug that goes into the combustion chamber. I read somewhere that there is now a special type of anti-seize for spark plugs but I haven't tried it yet.

Agreed

With alloy heads always use an antiseize compound.

Also it's a good idea not to install spark plugs into a hot engine. When the alloy is hot it's just that bit easier to cross thread.

This tip goes for any bolt, if you aren't putting loctite on a thread then a dab of antiseize compound is generally a good practice.

Loctite in it's self is initially a lubricant until it sets then it's a locking compound, not that I'm saying use loctite on all your threads..

A good antiseize. Careful not to use too much, particularly on things like spark plugs. Any quantity of antiseize in a cylinder would likely act as an abrasive.

I use both anti-seize and dielectric compound when doing plugs, and I change them fairly often, AND use iridiums. The NGK recommendation is not to use a torque value, but a seat then degrees of turn value, which renders any overtorque concerns moot.

Anti-seize is a cheap date, just make sure you use a high heat anti-seize when putting it on spark plugs. And you say these plugs you are going to use are going to stay in twice as long? I would definately use the anti-seize. If you have ever seen a gaulded threads on anything, you'd know why we're saying to use it.

Good Luck,

Bob clutchless1 :rolleyes:

From another site I visit, someone suggested using the anti-seize with copper powder in it, for max conductivity. NAPA has it.

I just went out and got the copper antiseize lubricant and the Part #is 765-2569 at NAPA. Most autoparts stores don't have it and the NAPA guy thought he did not have it until I located it on the shelf myself.

So far it works well.

Use antiseize! I had to work with damaged threads on a motorcycle head once. Aint fun. Aint worth it. Wouldnt worry too much about conductivity too much. You already have tons of resistance in the system. The high temp stuff is the right stuff to use.

I just went out and got the copper antiseize lubricant and the Part #is 765-2569 at NAPA. Most autoparts stores don't have it and the NAPA guy thought he did not have it until I located it on the shelf myself.
So far it works well.
i would be VERY careful using copper antiseize. i found that the copper causes the spark plugs to stick in the threads. i used it once, and had problems with it. i NEVER had any problems with the silver antiseize

just my .02 worth

So far it works well.
i would be VERY careful using copper antiseize. i found that the copper causes the spark plugs to stick in the threads. i used it once, and had problems with it. i NEVER had any problems with the silver antiseize

just my .02 worth
Chief,

Thanks for the advisement. I will probably pull one a little earlier, than later, to see if this is indeed the case.... I surely don't need more complications.

Here's what Permatex says: Permatex® Copper Anti-Seize Lubricant

A premium quality copper anti-seize and thread lubricant that may be used to prevent seizing, corrosion and galling where high temperature conditions exist. Contains a high percentage of micro-fine copper flakes in a semi-synthetic grease carrier and is fortified with high quality rust and corrosion inhibitors. Temperature range: -30°F to 1800°F. Provides good electrical conductivity. Meets Mil Spec #907E.

Suggested Applications:

Spark plug threads installed in aluminum, exhaust manifold bolts, engine bolts, oxygen sensors, knock sensors, thermostat housing bolts, fuel filter fittings, and battery cable connections.

Prod 09128 8oz

Hope they are right....

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator: