Any former GSXR owners?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mstocks

Reaction score
I currently have an 03 GSXR 1K and I love it. The power is awesome and it is a fairly comfortable bike for all day rides in the mountains. I live about 10 minutes south of the North GA mountains and all of my riding is done in Northern GA, NC, TN etc. My current favorite ride is a loop from Cumming, GA through Robbinsville, NC, across Deals Gap, over to Tellico Plains, TN, across the Cherohala Skyway back to Robbinsville and then back through the N. GA mountains to get home. All total it's about 400-425 miles depending on the route I take in GA.

Here is my current dilemma. I love my GSXR and occasionally take it to the track. 400 miles is a long day but not too bad on that bike. I am starting to lean more toward touring (at a semi-sporty pace) rather than riding at 8/10 all the time not noticing the scenery.

My wife and I have our first child on the way and I can't afford a second bike right now, so somethings got to give. If you owned a GSXR, or any other RR sportbike for that matter, but found yourself in a similar situation, I'd love to hear some comments, sdvice, etc. Why did you choose and FJR? What other bikes did you consider? Are you happy with your decision? Do you regret not having the all out sportbike?

Oh, I am currently considering a BMW 1200 GS, FJR 1300, V-Strom 1K or a VFR 800. Whatever I get will have to be used since the $$$ will come from the sale of my GSXR.

I'm all ears and thanks in advance!

I am starting to lean more toward touring (at a semi-sporty pace) rather than riding at 8/10 all the time not noticing the scenery.
You can do either of those on an FJR.

Oh, I am currently considering a BMW 1200 GS, FJR 1300, V-Strom 1K or a VFR 800. Whatever I get will have to be used since the $$$ will come from the sale of my GSXR.
I recommend the FJR.

Surprised?

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, it sounds like you at quite a dilemma there. If you still intend on riding at the higher pace your currently riding at and you intend on continuing to do some track days, the FJR may be a bit of a pig for you. I'm not saying its not possible, but if your coming from a Gixxer 1K, this bike is going to be a big fat bastard. I know a lot of people here are going to jump in and call the FJR a comfortable sport bike, but if your coming from a real sport bike (I came from 02 CBR954) then you'll think the FJR is a big heavy bike until you get used to the weight.

The FJR can do all things, but its going to be slower and heavier doing some of them. Trackdays will become very intresting and I think you'll get frustrated at the weight and how quickly you touch down. In the mountains, this bike bike is a lot of fun, and is comfortable enough to get you there and back home without having to pop a few pain killers for your back.

I think if you think your going to start leaning on the touring aspect of sport touring more heavily than the sport aspect, the FJR is an excellent choice. If your just looking for a more comfortable bike, but still fairy sporty, you may want to look harder at the VFR. Its going to be more sport orientated than the FJR, but its not going to be as comfortable. Basically as you may already know, its all about trade offs.

Personally, I was fortunate and I didn't have to give up my sport bike when I bought the FJR. I now enjoy riding the piss out of either bike whenever I'm in the mood. Lately, I've been putting miles on the CBR, but this weekend the FJR is coming back out for a little 500 mile or so ride. Should make for a fun Saturday morning.

I currently have an 03 GSXR 1K and I love it. The power is awesome and it is a fairly comfortable bike for all day rides in the mountains. I live about 10 minutes south of the North GA mountains and all of my riding is done in Northern GA, NC, TN etc. My current favorite ride is a loop from Cumming, GA through Robbinsville, NC, across Deals Gap, over to Tellico Plains, TN, across the Cherohala Skyway back to Robbinsville and then back through the N. GA mountains to get home. All total it's about 400-425 miles depending on the route I take in GA.
Here is my current dilemma. I love my GSXR and occasionally take it to the track. 400 miles is a long day but not too bad on that bike. I am starting to lean more toward touring (at a semi-sporty pace) rather than riding at 8/10 all the time not noticing the scenery.

My wife and I have our first child on the way and I can't afford a second bike right now, so somethings got to give. If you owned a GSXR, or any other RR sportbike for that matter, but found yourself in a similar situation, I'd love to hear some comments, sdvice, etc. Why did you choose and FJR? What other bikes did you consider? Are you happy with your decision? Do you regret not having the all out sportbike?

First choice would be a Gen 1 FJR,Second choice an FZ1 because if you are a Gixxer rider you want a lot of GiddyupGo plus the aftermarket can make this a fine alternative to a full touring ride.It is an R1 for the everyday world,third and final choice would be a VSTROM over the Honda.The Suzi delivers a lot more bang for your buck,Handles like Italian exotica but since you are already a Suzi driver you already know that.Best wishes to you on the sale of the Gixxer and the baby

I was in a similar space as you are now when I purchased my FJR last September. I was coming off a 4 year hiatus from riding and trying to decide which route to take (pardon the pun) with respect to a new bike. All my previous bikes have been sportbikes with my last being a 750 gixxer. While not a litre bike it still had huge fun factor. I knew my riding tastes were potentially changing as instead of thinking about my next Sears Point track day I realized I was thinking about stuff like, taking pictures of the light house I had passed on HWY 1 6034 times at 111 mph. Or actually stopping in Napa or Point Reyes instead of just trying to blaze a rubber path through everything (lived in Bay Area, CA at the time).

I looked at the VFR as a decent "go between" bike that would still be sporty but a bit more comfortable as mentioned by the previous poster. I also looked at the FZ series and the Strommy 1k and a couple of the Bimmers. I decided on the FJR as 1) I've always been preferential to Yamaha and 2) the FJR in my mind was a better version that all of what I was looking for (keeping that in context of course). I went into it with the mindset of not trying to much to compare it to my previous sportbikes but trying to keep in context of what I was looking at doing with my riding style. In addition, after reading all the reviews and reports the FJR just seemed to be the sportiest of the sport touring class. I was looking at some possible hooligan fun, great power for possible 2-up scenario's, comfortable enough for multiple day journeys and something that had a good dealer network with lots of online support (ruled the bimmer out, IMHO).

Keeping all that in context I was plesantly surprised that I wasn't dissapointed in the size and weight compared to my previous bikes (I also have a small inseam....*ahem*). What I got in the FJR was muh more than I had hoped for when I made my purchase. Outstanding brakes for such a big bike. While yes, the linked with ABS brakes took some getting used to but my gawd they work well. Phenomenal power for 650+ pounds of mass. This beast will get up and move. While not as quick feeling as a pure litre bike it's a different kind of "wow". Much more grunty, the thing just wants to go, go, go. You just feel like you can cruise (yes, I said cruise) at triple digits all day long. Lost of fun factor with the comfort you would expect from a "touring" class. Plus, it's farklelicious.

Is the FJR the best sporty bike on the planet? Of course not. It is however, one outstanding motorcycle which does everything I'd like it to extremely well. I'm a relatively small guy and was very tentative about a bike this size, but I don't regret it for a second. Get one, get on it, twist the throttle and hit your first twisty and the only time you'll look back is when you realize you're two states away and have to head back before the SO gets mad. :p

Well, it sounds like you at quite a dilemma there. If you still intend on riding at the higher pace your currently riding at and you intend on continuing to do some track days, the FJR may be a bit of a pig for you. I'm not saying its not possible, but if your coming from a Gixxer 1K, this bike is going to be a big fat bastard. I know a lot of people here are going to jump in and call the FJR a comfortable sport bike, but if your coming from a real sport bike (I came from 02 CBR954) then you'll think the FJR is a big heavy bike until you get used to the weight.
The FJR can do all things, but its going to be slower and heavier doing some of them. Trackdays will become very intresting and I think you'll get frustrated at the weight and how quickly you touch down. In the mountains, this bike bike is a lot of fun, and is comfortable enough to get you there and back home without having to pop a few pain killers for your back.

I think if you think your going to start leaning on the touring aspect of sport touring more heavily than the sport aspect, the FJR is an excellent choice. If your just looking for a more comfortable bike, but still fairy sporty, you may want to look harder at the VFR. Its going to be more sport orientated than the FJR, but its not going to be as comfortable. Basically as you may already know, its all about trade offs.
This is almost exactly what I would have said.

Mstocks: I am in Cumming also (until July 2)....PM me if you want to talk about it some more, I'll give you my phone number.

When I first got the FJR, I also had a Honda CBR600F4i (pre 600RR version). I figured I would use the CBR for hammerin through the twisties and the FJR when I was going to eat up the miles. My first trip on the FJR was to the AMA nationals at VIR. After doing 3+ hours on the interstate, we went on rt 501 towards Lynchburg, VA. There are some sweet twisties through there and it didn't take long for me to figure out that I could go almost (95%?) as fast on the FJR through the twisties as I could on the F4i. Didn't take long for me to put the F4i up for sale.

Granted, this is a 600 vs your 1000, but, the FJR is a very capable bike. As far as acceleration, I embarrased a few guys on 600 sportbikes at the drag strip - it will get up and go.

Finally, don't think you'll have to give up the track experience. You won't be the first one to take the FJR to a track day.

What about Triumph ST1050. ?

Leans more to the sporty side like the the VFR, but with more of the grunt you've learned to expect.

While on the street and at the Gap the FJR can get it done.

Click Me

If it were me I would get the FJR, park the Gixxer in the garage, take the insurance off and just ride the FJR. You should be able to save some bucks if you buy the FJR used and by all means get the GenII model. There are some issues with surging that will be soon worked out and not to worry about that and some will give up their ship before its time if you know what I mean and you could get a real deal on the newer model with all the improvements and possible farkles already added. If and when your able to break out the zoomie for a track day or whatever, you'll be glad you parked it. Or, if you don't like the FJR you still got the Gixxer. Have fun whatever you do. Blessings and ride safe, PM. <>< :D

First choice would be a Gen 1 FJR,Second choice an FZ1 because if you are a Gixxer rider you want a lot of GiddyupGo plus the aftermarket can make this a fine alternative to a full touring ride.It is an R1 for the everyday world,third and final choice would be a VSTROM over the Honda.The Suzi delivers a lot more bang for your buck,Handles like Italian exotica but since you are already a Suzi driver you already know that.Best wishes to you on the sale of the Gixxer and the baby
If you get enough for the baby, you may be able to keep the GSXR.

If you get enough for the baby, you may be able to keep the GSXR.
I was thinking the same thing. The sale of the baby will get him whatever bike he wanted. Happy hunting and the FJR would be my vote. I like the balance but only you can decide.

I had a VFR, it was WAYYYYYYY underpowered.....coming off a GSXR1k you will be very disappointed. I love my FJR, its as good as your gonna get for both worlds. 2 up is great, my wife feels like a part of the bike, rather than sitting on a pedistal for the whole world to see. The only way I will ever be trading my FJr in is for a new one some day!!!

Thanks for all of the replies/advice! I went and tried on a couple of FJRs today. I am more in love with them than ever. If I could have fit it into my Tahoe, I might have one in the basement as we speak. Now I just have to figure out how to sell my gsxr and scape together another 6K.

Latest posts