Any Reason to not buy an '06 model?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

topsyt

Reaction score
Been looking at mostly used '06 - '09 FJRs and '08 - '09 Connies for 3 or 4 months now, and have my eye on an '06 model. I've looked mostly at '08 FJRs since I like the black color best, and the low miles.

Is there anything about the 08/09 models that would make them somewhat superior to the '06? If I got the '06, I would be looking at saving at least $2,000 over the best priced '08 that I'm interested in.

Has there been any reported engine tick in the 06 model?

The bike I'm looking at has 10,000 miles.

Thanks,

LT

Last edited by a moderator:
Ticking (as far as I know) is entirely an issue of the Gen I bikes, so that's not a concern.

As far as I know, the only changes made after 06 on the standard model (so not the electric shift) were to the profile of the throttle, not really something I would be concerned with. There are aftermarket replacement throttle/grip parts (the brand I can't recall) available if you are unhappy with the stock unit.

I can't see any reason to get an 08 or 09 unless you really want the black, or you are willing to pay the price difference for new...

Been looking at mostly used '06 - '09 FJRs and '08 - '09 Connies for 3 or 4 months now, and have my eye on an '06 model. I've looked mostly at '08 FJRs since I like the black color best, and the low miles.
Is there anything about the 08/09 models that would make them somewhat superior to the '06? If I got the '06, I would be looking at saving at least $2,000 over the best priced '08 that I'm interested in.

Thanks,

LT
Here is a really good reason!!!!!!

==Go See==

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s...=119181&hl=

B

I wadded mine up just south of 35K on the clock.. I never even took it in for a valve check

Mine was an AE.. Other than that the same bike. I usually rode mine pretty hard too.. I had 12 sets of tires on it in the 35K (reference wadding it up twice, well second time was not from riding hard)

I would not hesitate..

Edit,, Clarify,, 12 rear tires.. about 8 fronts

'06 owners are highly regarded around here as the most intelligent of the bunch. The others are jealous, so expect some rude comments on this. ;)

'06 owners are highly regarded around here as the most intelligent of the bunch. The others are jealous, so expect some rude comments on this. ;)
+1 ... isn't envy one of the deadly sins? :unsure:

The '06 thru '09 are essentially the same bike except for colour variations. I believe they changed the throttle cam on the '09 to smooth out that little issue, if you get the '06 you MAY want to check out the G2 throttle cam. I put one on mine (AE), not sure I would have bothered if I had an A-model.

If the price is right, I'd say go for it... or else look at the link posted above for a nearly new bike that one of the other members is selling for a steal.

YMMV

Griff

The transmission has some subtle changes too. Nothing to write home about though. 06-09 are essentially same bike, up to your tastes mostly.

Thanks,

LT
=============

Here is another option.............. 06 FOR 6900.00 OR IS THIS THE ONE YA LOOKIN AT.......

CLICKY BELOW

GO SEE

Over 50,000 mile on my 06, the only issue I have with it is every time I take it out we go though at least one tank of gas. :yahoo: No short rides for this baby, just won't do them.

Personally, I would look at a "new" leftover 08 before I would consider the 06. I personally think that the changes made to the throttle and whatnot are significant. Truthfully at this point in the year, I would wait until the 2010 models comes out and would get a "leftover" 2009 and save a grand plus on it.

In the end, with either a 2008 or a 2009, you would have a new bike instead of a used one, it would have less miles on it -and- in a few years when you go to sell it, it would be worth more than the 2006.

I always seem to have questionable luck with used equipement. Some folks take care of their stuff, others dont. With bikes, everyone seem to do farkles - some do a lot of farkles. I have seen some real hack jobs where guys have added farkles. With a "leftover" new bike, you avoid all of that and get a new bike with less miles and still get a heafty discount from a current model bike..

Random thoughts..